1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terran Air Power Omnidiscussion

Discussion in 'Terran' started by BirdofPrey, Feb 16, 2008.

Terran Air Power Omnidiscussion

Discussion in 'Terran' started by BirdofPrey, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Kaaraa, all your comparisons fits in with the Siege Tank/artillery dilemma too. :)

Same with artillery, it wasn't spammable. Yet, Blizzard thought that it overlapped with the Siege Tank.

2. aMp

aMp New Member

How is the Thor's artillery 'overlapping' with the Siege Tank? The two have nothing in common.

3. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Have you seen the Terran gameplay video? The Artillery Barrage is basically 10 or so Siege Tank shots fired at a targeted location. Long range GtG anti-armor splash. It's the same.

4. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    GMG is completly right, and i wrote the same in my post, the banshee overlaps with the Plasma Torpedos...
    But if the Plasma torpedos were effective vs armored then the overlap would be removes, but that would also remove the idea of the Plasma torpedo.
    The Thors artillery abillity was effective vs ground units clustered up, and so is the siege tank.

5. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    Touche, but I'd say the cost difference ot the units could play a role here. Why pay 450 minerals and 350 gas for one unit that can AtG bombard every few minutes when you can build two or three that have AtG bombardment as a normal attack?

Also, Blizzard thought the artillery overlapped, but now the Thor is back as it was in the beginning, with it's big guns :)

6. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    The Thors normal attack was AoE/splash too Kaaraa... and Blizzard did not think the Thor overlaped, it was the community.
    Even thought the Plasma torpedos are an abbility, it stills overlap.

7. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    Before i go any further, I think I might be losing track of the topic. Are we worried units won't be used because of overlapping purposes, or do we just not like overlap? ???

8. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Blizzard would have changed the Nomad design if all that mattered was the community feedback. They themselves must have realized that the Thor's Artillery Barrage overlapped with the Siege Tank even before us.

9. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

I think they are over well blizz is doing a good job on terran air. however I still don't like the look of the nomad. I hate to be so picky but I mean it looks like a flying box.

10. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Heres a quick note for you all.

Banshee is designed to take out units while doing precision atatcks to get the desired results.
    Plasma Array, can destroy buildings effectivly as well as units, but it has a high energy cost meaning you use it once then wait a while. The Banshee is always there with the attack meaning the Banshee is more reliable and the BC uses the Plasma Array like a splash damage Yamato Cannon.

Also the Thor is strong against units but not buildings single handedly, meaning a group a Thor is effective against buildings since its like 24 damage on each shot, so its 24 x 2. The reason the Thor seems weak cuz in the video it was one Thor attacking a supply depot which has like 200/300 hp? and its slow rate of fire means its wasting firepower on a target.

Now when it attacks units it does splash damage and has that plus of 24 for each shot that hits. It takes the Thor 3 combined shots to take out a Cobra which had 130hp meaning 48 x 3 = 144
    So imagine when you have a group of Thor attacking a base, for exmaple 3.
    Thats 24 x 6 = 144 in one combined shot from 3 Thor, which would quickly raze buildings and cut through clustered units; don't forget you have other units around.
    Now the difference with the Tank and Thor, even tho their damage is similar the Thor gives away range for high Hp meaning it can take a few hits before engaging the enemy succesfully. On the other hand, the Tank attacks frmo long range with a stronger attack and damage bonus cuz its not as tough as the Thor, so the range allows it not to come into contact meaning it doesn't need high hit points.

So in effect they are kinda the same unit but each is reversed.
    Don't ask me why I just typed all that I don't know either... lol

11. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I am not saying that the Plasma Torpedos make Banshees obsolete, of course Banshees' will get to attack more with their regular attack than the BC will attack with PT.
    It's the other way. The Banshee kinda makes PT obsolete.

12. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Well, all that happens is the unique meter drops, thats all.
    They balance each other in power:availability

13. LxMike

LxMike New Member

@GMG

The difference is you can cloak a group of banshee and do hit and run, PT is more defensive upgrade. But mass PT could be a problem

14. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    He has achnkowledged that, but your are wrong with it benig defensive. How could of rain of lasers which are potent against buildings and units be defensive? That is purely offensive.

15. LxMike

LxMike New Member

Well because the BC is very slow and could be easily killed( because it can't flee ) therefore the PT is use to give the BC a better chance to survive.

16. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    BC being easily killed, by what?
    The only counter i can see are phase prism (slow) and Vikings.

17. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I think that the Siege Tank/Thor deal was just the same. A Siege Tank is faster and can Siege and Unsiege faster than it takes for the Thor to "charge" the Artillery Barrage. The tank could hit and run better than a Thor, basically.
    The speed appearently doesn't matter that much when the ability/attack itself is the same.

Warp Rays pose the biggest threat to BC's right now IMO. And what do you mean with Phase Prisms? They can't attack. :p

18. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I meant warp rays :D
    But they are slow (and can attack)! :p
    But vikings are effective too GMG (bonus vs capital).
    And the banshees can be countered too very easily by all air...

19. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Frankly saying that Plasma torpedoes and banshees overlapping as well as tanks and thor bombardment overlapping is akin to saying that gattling guns overlap with a squad of soldiers. Both have their uses.

The Banshe and tank are able to get into position quickly and unleash a decent ammount of firepower while the Thor and BC are slow to get into position but can take more damage and unlease more destructive power more quickly.

Also the PT does not make Banshees obsolete since Banshees are both more affordable and come earlier than BCs and you could also survive the loss of a banshee much more easily than that of a capitol ship. Besides they still have different purposes. The BC is for bombardment and basecracking while the banshee is meant more for quick raids. They couldn't overlap any less in my eyes. (that also holds true for the tank and thor which also have different purposes)
    ---
    As for the discussion at hand I would like to note that I like the GtA attack of the Viking and have been pushing for it. I am glad we have it as now the Terrans have an effective way of countering air units without having to worry about anti air defenses yourself. It does not, however, reduce the effectiveness of the air form as, if you hadn't noticed, the walker form is rather slow in comparison and I don't think it would be able to catch anything faster than a capitol ship so you would still need flight if you plan on going hunting and want a MOBILE air defence. Also don't forget that the air form does give more options for manuvering and makes impassable terrain a non-issue. I can however survive a cut in fire rate to keep the effectiveness of the AtA attack itself but am a firm believer in versatility and think that cutting the GtA attack would make each form too specialized.

I still believe that the Terrans need an AtA fighter though (predator) and could probably still use a dedicated GtA unit as well but if the Viking keeps the GtA attack could be made to fit that role like the Goliath once did

20. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I said all that but no one seemed to acknowledge ._.