1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tempest Scrapped + 1st Impressions

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by FlyingTiger, Aug 3, 2007.

Tempest Scrapped + 1st Impressions

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by FlyingTiger, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Ok. Anyhoo.

San Diemos Carriers rule!!

2. ramdon

ramdon New Member

So they made an excellent unit out of the carrier, the tempest, with fair strength and weaknessess.
    The community starts to complain they want their overpowered, unbalanced carrier back and they listen, doesn't really sound that great to me lol.

3. Khala Enforcer

Khala Enforcer New Member

WOOT!!! CARRIER'S BACK!! :good: I think that its great that they're coming back. And to you Ramdon the Carrier's were balanced all you need is some battleships and it would be done quickly. The only way the carriers would win is if they microed.

4. Skylark

Skylark New Member

Well, in light of this, I'd say burkid's signature needs a little updating, no? :p

5. burkid

burkid New Member

STOP SAYING THAT! HALF THE PEOPLE ON THE FORUM HAVE SAID THAT TO ME!

6. paragon

paragon Guest

Until they show a screenshot of a carrier even more awesome than that one, then i'd leave it.

7. mc2

mc2 New Member

I'm opening a bottle champagne :) Anyone want to join? Cheers!

Dustin is right. Carrier is arguably the most iconic unit for Protoss. Ask all Protoss players out there and majority of them will say Carrier is their favourite unit. I am no exception either :)

Just like the hydralisk - Zerg's most iconic unit, and the siege tank - Terran's most iconic unit is making a return in its original form, the Carrier would be better than the Tempest.

8. TheFearless

TheFearless New Member

good thing the tempest was scrapped

carriers and interceptors look and sound better than tempest and shuriken
    i mean, shuriken doesn't even sound protoss-like and would you want shuriken over interceptors ?
    surely you'd want that ranged interceptor over the melee shuriken

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow New Member

Finland
    Oh these tears of joy. Let the ninjas keep their shurikens, Carrier is the heart of the Protoss!

10. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I agree to all of you. Not having a Carrier would be like scrapping the Siege tank.
    Also, I think the Carrier fits the role as flagship of the protoss MUCH better than the
    Warp ray. Seriously.

Yay for the Carrier!

11. Warsaw

Warsaw New Member

wtf. the tempest looked awesome and it wasnt that huge of a change from the original carrier. If they were to change something i wouldve prefered bringing back the dragoon scrapping the immortal, giving the dragoon that blink ability the stalker has and finally making the stalker have similiar abilities to what the original immortal concept had. so the only thing you really lose is that ugly immortal figure. bye bye tempest you will be missed :upset:

12. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Man are you serious? The Immortal looks great! The upper part with the canons and all is sweet.

13. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

aww damn! the tempest kicked hooters!

14. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    that sounds... strange...

15. DontHate

DontHate New Member

well, dude the carrier has the tempest model now it's just larger AND yellow... what could you now like about that. my calls have been heeded.

16. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

The carrier was great on StarCraft 1, but preferably I'd rather have a new unit just as cool or even cooler take its place for StarCraft 2. I wasn't much of a fan for the tempest despite its cool look, it was too much like the carrier even with the lack of shield defense against air addition . . . it was a retool of an old idea pretty much. But I guess its ok to have Carriers back, after all, even with all the cool new terran additions they still kept their battle cruisers. My only real complaint right now is the changes made to the Protoss Mothership . . . they might aswell give the field cloak to the phase prism as a late upgrade and just keep the mothership as a super unit.

Still, good post :thumbup:

Also, could some please emphasize for me the original purposes of the star relic, and it's new replacement unit, the statis orb?

17. Steve22x

Steve22x New Member

Even though the carrier will be back as the capital ship i think carrier rushes will be used sparingly due to all the new abilities and possibilities to counter. I personally hated it when my friend massed all carriers but its cool to see they're gonna be back. "Carrier has arrived"

18. privateparts

privateparts New Member

Well i always found carriers to be hugely imbalanced in multiplayer. When a protoss player would mass heaps of them the hundreds of interceptors wuld draw fire forcing me to micro considerably to deal a inconsiderable amount of damage. Also scourge(the carriers supposed counter) simply could not get close enough to do any damage with all that intenceptor cover fire.

I was looking foward to the Tempest, I loved the idea of the ground shield, however the spinning discs did seem a bit silly to me. Also Tempest sounds alot cooler then Carrier, alot more menacing.

Well since they are bringing it back I hope they make sure it's not a ridicously powerful unit. With phoenixes overload, warp rays consecutive damage and motherships black hole, protoss is looking to be extremely overpowerful in the air.

P.S. can anyone link me a pic or vid of the new carrier and statis orb units? thanks.

19. ZiiDriX

ZiiDriX New Member

The link doesnt work for me. :(

20. LJYLJ

LJYLJ New Member

so...there is a god afterall :)