1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supposed Immortal Portrait!

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Kaaraa, Mar 19, 2009.

Supposed Immortal Portrait!

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Kaaraa, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Not everything is explained in the game, but I was right. The phase disruptor itself may be the weapon, but there is no such thing as phase disrupting ammo. At least not on the Dragoon.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  2. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    On the topic of anti-matter and weapons, just because anti-matter is encased in the projectile doesn't mean there is very much of it, it just means there is some in it.

As for the topic of the Dragoon shrine, if you reread the entry on the Sc2 site they never actually mention the Protoss lacking the technology to rebuild it. All that is said is that the shrine was lost when the Zerg took over Auir, which means the Protoss currently can't create more Dragoons (or Immortals since they are upgraded Dragoons). Which suggests a couple of the conclusions mentioned earlier, it isn't so much that the Protoss lack the technology to rebuild the shrine, so much as they lack either the resources or time to do so.

3. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    They can warp in entire buildings in a few seconds. There has to be somebody who builds all those things. I doubt that building a shrine they already have the blueprints of, takes more time then developing new buildings like the dark pylons and such.

On the antimatter: even 1 gram of it should be able to destroy pretty much anything. Especially without a shield. I am against using the whole antimatter thing anyway, just so you know. It takes far to much time and power to create even the smallest amount of it. The protoss might be high tech, but not that advanced. Most of their strength comes from psionic powers and those crystals.

4. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    The Protoss I think warp in the buildings from there homeworld, which would be Shakuras now. Also, I would wager the Protoss can only warp in certain building specificly designed for that task. As for building something they already have blueprints for versus designing something entirely, you bring up a good point. My response to that would be that either there was something special about the location of the shrine that gave it power, or there was something special inside that is very rare or nearly impossible to come by (something like the crystals from SC : BW comes to mind here).

Just to play devil's advequite on the topic of anti-matter the Protoss may not be creating it so much as warping a very small amount of it in from a store house somewhere.

5. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    But that's the problem: they have to create it first. As far as we know, there is no natural source for antimatter. Also, warping anti-matter is almost impossible, since the stuff is highly instable. Meh, it might be possible in a way. I wil stop nagging about it now. ;)

As for the buildings: I always thought it would be cool if they were materialized on site. Like, the probe places a small device, and that device gets materials send over by the nexus. -possibly via pylons of no nexus is near- Then the device assembles the building by re-arranging the molecules of the minerals and gas or something. Makes a lot more sense then warping it in from another planet. Especially since they deposit materials in the nexus all the time.

6. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

I figure the protoss are perfectionists. They'd like to have a bunch of Khalai actually build the structure properly first and then warp it in than build it from local materials (and there would be stuff missing if they did that).

I picture the dragoon shrine to have been something really big and complicated. The protoss might know how to build one, but it could take years (sort of like a huge construction project in real life), and they figured it's just easier to go with stalkers and immortals instead.

7. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    This is just a personal opinion, but I think that they are no perfectionists. Far from it.

Almost every unit in the original game used to have another purpose before the game. They were adapted for combat. Zealots were guards for explorers and scientists, Reavers were production robots, and most others were mainly used for exploring before. Just look at the names: Scout, Observer and a Carrier to put them in.

Seriously, they used a production droid as their main -and only- form of artillery. If they are fine with that, then why not with materials found on a planet? The buildings all are made with help of the same minerals and gas. No need for those to be warped halfway across a galaxy, since they can be found just about anywhere.

8. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

The cybernetics core required essence translators, enabling protoss to focus through the Khala to move the dragoons. What if it contains khaydarin crystals? (A lot of protoss buildings, such as pylons an dfleet beacons do.)

I don't think that kind of building can be made from local material. (Also, we've already been told the buildings are being warped in from elsewhere, so they're not being made on the spot.)

Where did you hear about the zealots being guards for explorers and scientists?

9. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    They do that in the books when they travel. And when the castes were first made, it says that the templar cast and zealots were there to protect the Protoss. I read it in the wiki. I will look up the page for you.

10. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Double post needed, nobody will notice with just an edit.

I found it on the page of the Templar Caste. Look at the history part. It explains what they did before the Zerg started messing around. By the way, the warp thing was an idea I had, and it makes sense to me. I never said it was like that in the game. :s

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  11. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    The way i've always looked at the shrine, they cannot simply rebuild because it was sacred, either made by materials of Xel'naga origin or built on a spot significant to the Xel'naga or the Khala.

Also, the templar caste were there to protect the protoss the same way a modern standing army is, while they saw no combat for extended periods of time they still had ritual training and fanatic discipline above what you'd expect would be needed to defend a highly advanced civilisation like the protoss from wild animals, primitive natives and the like at the time of starcraft 1.

12. Novacute

Novacute New Member

That can't be the final portrait render. It looks like a fish man in a fish tank. It's horrible! It's hard to imagine an almighty immortal with a fishman inside a fish tank...