1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supposed Immortal Portrait!

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Kaaraa, Mar 19, 2009.

Supposed Immortal Portrait!

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Kaaraa, Mar 19, 2009.

1. MarshWarrior

MarshWarrior New Member

Like it was said above me this guy doesn't look crippled enough.

[​IMG]

The Dragoon from sc looks better than that one IMO.

2. LoVeRBoy[E]

LoVeRBoy[E] New Member

Rocky Mount, North Carolina
    If any of you have played mercenaries 2...remember when he goes to hijack a tank he would drop a grenade in the tank...maybe that's what they should do to him....

3. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
  4. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    I already knew about all that lore, and it has some pretty big flaws in it:

- The Dragoons existed for a very, very long time already.
    - Motherships were basically flying cities to civilize and explore other planets, there has to be some sort of database in each mothership.
    - Kinda gay that they are unable to get the knowledge of making new dragoon legs from those ships then.
    - They got the warpgates by reverse-engineering xel naga tech. Kinda lame they are unable to reverse-engineer their own tech.

*Discuss*

5. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    wow those are very goodpoints...
    lol i like the "*discuss*" ^^

6. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Yeah...
    You know, people usally use that to indicate that they would like to discuss what they suggested. Not that people have to, just a suggestion.
    But your post kinda does nothing. lol :s

7. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    [ot] It's also as if you were telling us what to do <.< [/ot]

What amazes me about the released portraits is their really big resolutions. I mean it's just a picture most serious players will turn off or at the very least won't notice, duh. But no, this is Blizzard, and they're making every little feature a little marvel in its own right <3

Already expressed my opinion on the topic.

8. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    [off topic]
    Like I think that I can force you guys to do something... I often am bossy and stuff, but that is because noticing how other people think was never really my strong side. If it bothers anyone, even one person, then I will use a quistion mark from now on. Satisfied? :D
    [/off topic]

Anyway, -I should expand my vocabulary a little bit- about the resolutions: It would be a bit lame if they would use the same low-res stuff again. In every rts they made with these pictures, the portraits were always higher quality then the units. I guess it must be some sort of tradition there. :eek:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  9. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    You know i never noticed that... maybe its because the units move more?
    plus, when ur pitting huge armies against each other, its not like ur gonna analyze a unit and say "where the gun?". No, instead, u get sum popcorn and see what the portrait does :D

10. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Seriously, how does that add to this discussion?

Hmm, I wonder if the Immortals will sound roughly the same as Dragoons. Now that they removed the fluid tank, they will probably sound just like the rest of the Protoss... :eek:

11. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
  12. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Yeah, but the sound is always so laggy when I listen to it. And like you said: outdated. Blizzard said that most portraits and sounds were only placeholders, so I hope the final versions will be a lot better.

Also, the whole site needs an update. The fansites have more recent info then the official site. That just makes me want to puke. They have hundreds of people working there. How hard can it be for one of them to maintain the site? We do a good job just for fun, they get paid for never updating anything. :s

13. lvhoang

lvhoang New Member

Seattle, WA, USA
    this is so true... i couldnt agree more :D
    then... what if we let the fans program SC2 ??? Lets make SC open source!!!!!!

14. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    If the sounds there are too laggy, you can download alot of immortal sounds along with other leaked protoss unit sounds here. Although they are no doubt outdated.

EDIT: just remembered you're on a phone, well i could upload a few of the mp3s of you want?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  15. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Nah, I will look at them later, when I finaly have my computer internet back. -Waiting for that for months now, but life just isn't fair. I got used to it.- Thanks for the link, though.

16. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

Maybe there's just one lore hole. I want to use parsimony (Occam's Razor) logic here, which basically means simple is best.

Maybe the protoss don't want to make new dragoons. They may be able to build a new dragoon shrine from their various databases, but they're better off building a "better" immortal shrine instead with their limited resources.

This would require only a small update to the immortal page.

(I'll leave whether the immortal is "better" than the dragoon lore-wise as an exercise for someone else.)

17. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    In my opinion, the Immortal is better then the Dragoon, and a great adition to the lore and general gameplay tactics.

Lore: the whole bonding between the Dark Templar and the followers of the Khala is better. They trust on the Stalkers made by the Dark Templar to provide them air defense. However, I still find it to big of a gap in the lore with the whole tech side. They might have limited recources, or just do not feel like making Dragoons without the shrine, it still is strange.

As for the gameplay: I think that the Hardened Shields are one of the best innovations in Starcraft 2, and not just as a gimmick. They actually have a purpose. However, it still is a bit lame that they are unable to target air. There is no lore for it, and why would they downgrade the weapon targeting system? That is just software or something. -oops, going to the lore again :p- What do you think?

18. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

It's a trade off. Giving them GtA capability would cost (out-of-game) resources. Also, the new guns aren't just old dragoon guns with minor upgrades. They're more powerful, but for some reason (probably similar to the siege tank's guns) they can't be used to hit air. The new guns look longer and not that flexible; the dragoon's gun was basically a ball on top that was omni-directional.

19. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    The Dragoon fired anti-matter encased in a Plasma Shiel-ish sphere. That was also a lore failure. That much anti-matter would make a nuke look like a firecracker. However, this is not hardcore star trek sci-fi with realistic stuff in it, so I forive them. ;) No idea what the Immortal fires, though.

20. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    the immortal fires phase distruptors. same as dragoon. except the immortal has two of these.
    btw its not anti-matter. the scout fires anti-matter missles though. and yes, ive always wondered how come it didnt do sumthing like 400-600 damage :p
    blizzard should make sum better arnament names :D