1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supply Depot

Discussion in 'Terran' started by sagrado_corazon, Jul 20, 2007.

Supply Depot

Discussion in 'Terran' started by sagrado_corazon, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Bizarro_Paragon

Bizarro_Paragon New Member

Patlidzan, the fact of the matter is that it takes time to lift the Barracks. Time that could be much better spent producing units. If you want to let units through, you have to cancel the whole build queue (losing all current progress on the latest unit,) lift the Barracks, wait for the units to pass through, land again, and restart the queue.

Now, to you or me, that's not a whole lot. It really doesn't matter. But as the people you play against get better and better, that little amount of time and the little amount of extra minerals is a HUGE deal. Any and all advantages you could potentially gain on your opponent could be enough to swing the tide of the game in your favour. So, when people on this board say it makes no sense for you to use Barracks to block instead of Supply Depots, we're really saying it makes no sense for the pros to do it.

For people our level, though, you can definitely get away with building the Barracks, and, because there's more leniency with the mistakes in the micro game, you may even get an advantage having your Barracks so far forward that you wouldn't have gotten with Supply Depots. Both strategies have merit, but the Supply Depot fits better with more advanced styles of play, and is, by proxy, more advanced, and a colloquially better strategy,

2. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

the barracks does have more hp,but the sd are really better as barricades.yeah,they only have 500 hp,but now they can go down,and that's something very useful,because it's much faster to get s sd down than it is to lift off a barrack and put it back on the ground again.

3. Zymeth_01

Zymeth_01 New Member

Supply depots now are awsome based on what i saw in the demo.

4. BloodHawk

BloodHawk Member

CT, USA
    Since theres already so many pretty pictures:

---- =Cliff
    D =Depot

-----------------------
    DDDD
    DDDD
    DDDD
    ------------------------

Ok, maybe a 3x4 grid of depots is a bit much.

------------------------
    DDD
    DDD
    -------------------------
    or
    -----------------------
    DD
    DD
    DD
    ------------------------

Same idea, more practical.

It may yet be more effective than using a single barracks (plus one depot) as your gate. Each building has much less surface (attack) area than a barracks. Fewer melee units per depot should allow them to last longer. If you can get your lines of depots deeper would be even better as the enemy would have to clear the front completly to really acces the mid/back lines. Better yet, watch em funnel through a choke one depot wide while getting splattered by your tanks splash damage.

Attacking more than one depot at a time should work, but it would take much more micro/concentration than sending your lumped group at one building. IDK for sure if this that great of an idea as I have yet to play SC2 or seen a single Zerg unit(God Damnit).
    I also wonder how sliding off a barracks would work when when they are lumped like this. Blizz said you can have multi buildings selected (and hot keyed) so I would assume you can command them to reemerge all at once.