1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub-Topic: Jackal Not Worthy?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Psionicz, Apr 2, 2008.

?

Jackal, Firebat, Cobra or new unit?

1. Jackal

19.0%
  2. Cobra

9.5%
  3. Firebat

28.6%
  4. New Unit

42.9%

Sub-Topic: Jackal Not Worthy?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Psionicz, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    I don't know.. I like the Jackal. It is not like the Lurker, since you don't have to burrow it, and.. I think its hitpoints, cost and damage will be different too. This unit adds a little more micro when you play terran. Can be deadly effective, when used correctly, but can worth nothing. This is the exact, but better replacement of the vulture. (without the mines... I am going to miss them)

2. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    We do know the hp by the way. First it was 125, but that was a little OP apparently. :p It got reduced to 75.

@Willy. Lol.

3. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    125 for a long range Firebat?

Jesus H. Christ.

4. Godrey

Godrey New Member

did the jackal loose its spider mines? that is just a quick question i was wondering?

5. Space Pirate Rojo

Canada, eh?
    The "Vulture" unit for SC2 has never had mines.

Not Cobra, not Jackal.

6. Godrey

Godrey New Member

okay just checking. and yes the whole 125 hp is rediculouse!!!! 75 is better though!

7. Space Pirate Rojo

Canada, eh?
    Hell, I want the Jackal if it stays in but gets bumped back to 125, as overpowered as it is.

8. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I guess the reason why it had 125 hp at first was because the Cobra had that, but then they must have realized that the Jackal's attack compensates for pretty much everything. :D

9. Godrey

Godrey New Member

its true i would want them also if they had 150HP that would be ridic!

10. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    New terran super weapon, Jackal with 10000 HP? :D
    I also think 75 is better, they could reduce it to like 60, and make a new, thinner looking model, if you know what I mean.

11. Godrey

Godrey New Member

come on who wants thin units i want big power that backs a punch!!!!

12. Space Pirate Rojo

Canada, eh?
    60 was the original Firebat health. We're talking about a vehicle.

And 75 was the health for the Vulture, and it's younger brother now has the 75.

The Vulture sure as hell packed a punch. Spider mines anyone?
    And it was a sleek hover-cycle.

13. Godrey

Godrey New Member

its was ballin. those freakin spider mines were great!

14. Redlazer

Redlazer New Member

If the Marauder has splash damage (I'm guessing it does; come on, grenades better have splash), it's already a very worthy Firebat replacement. The Jackal is overlapping here; it's mechanic is cool and all, but Terran have AoE ground effects kind of overkilled if you ask me. The Vulture was the ideal unit for this position, but nobody wants a Starcraft original rehash. So, my idea would be... New model, new attack, new name, etc; but still covering the same role.

I'de suggest somthing along the same lines; hover-bike like thing with jets on the back, but possibly with a mounted, rotating gattling gun with a single target attack. The attacking-while-moving mechanic could be kept.

Idea 1:
    - The attack could possibly penetrate through units, so it wouldn't exactly be a 'splash' attack, but more of a piercing attack. Perhaps with two or three units max for penetration.

Idea 2:
    - The attack would be in a sweeping spray. No piercing, no splash; whatever comes in contact with the rounds takes damage, despite what the targeted unit was. Think of an automatic weapon being fired in a side to side swaying motion into a croud; the frontline will be hit, people behind them basically unharmed; first row goes down, second row begins taking fire; etc. Even if you targeted someone at the back of the croud, the front people will take the rounds either way.

15. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Then it becomes a fast Colossus, nobody likes the spray fire Colossus, and lore doesn't really justify a bullet to go straight through all that armor and not kill the unit.

But I do think the Jackal needs to be changed in a way as it has kinda ruled out the Lurker, as thats been pushed back to tier 3 and the Jackal functions in a better way, and don't think burrowing helps the Lurker now as who doesn't have detection by the time tier 3 comes out.

Marine, Reaper and Viking already have the machine gun-fast attack thing going on so it needs something unique.
    But see what really makes me wonder is, the Terrans are humans and humans would rather fight long range, yet the only long range unit Terran have is a tank. Why not turn the Jackal into a long range unit or something?

But I agree with you on the rotating turret thing, it just needs to be done, although if the Cobra didn't work that kinda highlights the proposed idea for the Jackal won't.

I really don't know to be honest.

16. Redlazer

Redlazer New Member

Well, I didn't mean like the new Collossus attack, probably more similar to the old one, but with damage on collision with the projectile. I really liked the concept; if the Protoss won't be utilizing it, why not rekindle it in another unit that's still indecision?

17. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

Really you guys are complaining about a unit that isnt broken but because you all have not played the game you know nothing about how this unit is balancing the terrans vs other races at this tier.

Now ask your self. what unit with an effect is going to replace this unit and stil be effective agenst all 3 races?

The jackals effect is amazing so i dont get what people are failing to see. This unit plain a simple CUTS THE CRAP OUT. mass zerglings, zealots, marines, there all gone when this gets produced in numbers. Now lets add unit combonations that are on or under the tier of the jackal vs units of the same tier and lower.

Jackals and Muraders:
    first of all any melee unit is in a world of troble. u wont be able to reach jackal while your groulp of melee units is being burn into a new layer of hell.

Jackals and marines:
    just have the marines upfront and have jackals attack on a angel. After a few hits if the enemy hasnt lost enough units to retreat then there asking for a loss and you'll be able to give it to them quickly.

Jackals and Reapers:
    Now you would have to play this force as a type of harrassment. If you find a way to the enemys base you could quickly remove all the works as the enemey will more then 75 to 80% of the time be moving all the workers at once.

jackals and tanks:
    sounds kinda effy but atleast the tanks will have some type of cover.

now lets sum this all together and look at the statistics.
    Jackal as a support unit is going to help beat out almost every other force. Marines, muraders, and jackals are going to hert if not wn agenst all the other attack forces early out. I can really only see protoss having a chance of coming out on top but even then it will be with heavy losses. Stalkers and zealots will make quite a punch to your front line but still only the stalkers will be doing the damage as the zealots will be late getting o the battle due to range and muraders. Now jackals vs zerg is a almost a completely different story. Zerglings are out the window with banelings. Roaches will lose in the end cause zerglings and banelings will be remove quickly. and if you want to add reapers into the mix the roach (who dosent look like the most lively mover like the zergling) will be dealing with mines thrown into the dangerous mix. On paper aslong as you mix up a terran army there good. The moment you let the enemy get out of hand with numbers early or you dont balance out your unit your bound to lose. Blizzard has done a good job with terrans as well as all the other races. They did a good job not making a unit that can be massed just by it self and cause a win.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  18. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The Jackal's a horrible and useless unit because it's got an old attack mechanic that's been stolen from the Zerg's Lurker, and overlaps and ruins all the other awesome Terran units.

The Jackal may 'cut out the crap' but so did the Banshee, and the Marauder's kept them at a distance. Now, the Banshee's got a crummy single target attack and the Marauder's area of effect attack and snare has been removed. Besides, this attack mechanic was a Zerg icon, so even if it is effective, it shouldn't be given to the Terran.

19. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Currently I say the Marauder, Jackal and Thor are Terrans worst units. Marauder comes first tho.

20. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

And you can say all that but as it stands terrans dont effectivly have a counter for Darkswarm so an all out splash fest would have to be the answer. and the banshee is a later tier unit. if your trying to push for plash on hand without any upgrades and whatnot the jackal is the only option. you'll have for those few seconds. You guys just cant sit here and bash units just becuase you dont like how they work together or just because it dosent sit right in your own mind. Thats not fair to the work that the blizzard team put into the game espicaly when there balanced. I guess after listing to the Blizzcast 3 and hearin dustin say that zerg are the weakest atm that my concerns for protoss and terrans are really low.

As for the marauder its the only choice we have for a medic replacement right now. having the enemy not even reach you at all is just as good as having a medic heal your men.