1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starbase Modification

Discussion in 'Terran' started by random guy, Aug 14, 2007.

Starbase Modification

Discussion in 'Terran' started by random guy, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

Assuming Irradiate does come back I´d like to keep nanorepair but move it to the Starbase (makes more sense there). That way it would fulfill the "maintenance" role by restoring HP and Energy.

You are right EMP is game deciding in some cases, especially against Protoss. Thats why it was nerfed by being centered on the nomad itself I guess. It still can´t kill anything on it´s own though. In it´s current form the Nomad will never have a kill, thats why I called it support.

Really it is too bad that the nomad is following the SV because on itself it is a fine unit. But in a direct comparision the SV wins. But it would break some mechanics in SC2, for example the old EMP would make the immortal a joke, the colossus would basically loose a upgrade (there is one that adds 100Shield), you should remember hor Archons reacted to EMPs...

The Nomad MIGHT be a slight "nerf" but I´m afraid it had to be done.

2. Nuclear Launch

Nuclear Launch New Member

I think only Zerg and Protoss players want the repair ability to cost minerals. Why not energy? The protoss and the zerg have their own way of recovering from battle with no cost of minerals. Energy-based repair is my dream coming true (I play Terran the most).

3. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Duke Nukem(nostalgic name btw), you are correct, a nuke on a nexus vs EMP on a nexus, the nuke would do more damage.  I don't know why I was comparing EMP on a nexus against nuke damage on a unit, brain fart at work, my mistake.

Nonetheless, the EMP is clearly the superior ability.  EMP costs 100 energy, is an instant ability with no wait time, and has tremendous tactical applications.  The nuke on the other hand, costs 200 minerals 200 gas and 8 food, has a long wait time, and is nearly unusable in real game against moderately skilled opponents.  I've always thought that the nuke should've been stronger than what it was though, it didn't seem right that BCs got to survive a direct nuke.

If I understood correctly, the EMP is no longer fired as a missile projectile?  So it's just an AoE around the nomad, like war stomp(albeit aerial)?  I guess the nomad/SciVes got nerfed all around, it's practically neutered compared to before.  Terran has always been a close second and an extremely tempting allurement for me, but without the vessel, it's not quite appealing any more.

And that would be...??  You mean sitting on the sidelines for half a day?  Or do you mean the shield battery that no one uses?  And if you mean the shield battery, since it serves no other function whatsoever and is not even an effective method, you would be putting minerals into healing/repair.  I'm willing to bet any Protoss or Zerg player would be more than willing to trade you their neglegibly slow regen for your mineral costing repair/heal.

4. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

How much does it really cost btw? It always apeared to me as a symbolic value, less than a investment. I mean I never had to decide to repair or not because of lacking Rescources, the cost were always dirt cheap compared to the Benefits.

@Remy:The SV concentrated a lot of Terran advantages into one unit wich hurts inrace Balance. The concept was to have a unarmed support Vehicle yet it somehow turned out stronger than intended imho. It might have been balanced in the end but I don´t think it was what Blizzard had in Mind at first.

5. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

in theory emp is a powerful ability, however at the highest level of game play (korean pro leagues) it's rarely used.

in TvP the terran player only gets vessel + emp when the protoss player gets arbiter.

irritated is used much more in TvZ, in fact it's an indispensable part of the TvZ strategy. the amount of lurkers and defilers a zerg player loses to irradiate in a average game is staggering.

6. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    The EMP is a powerful ability in practice as well. I am certainly not at the highest level of skill, as I am not a progamer, but of the small amount of play time that I've put into Terran(compared to Zerg) I've still managed to use EMP to great effect vs Protoss on many occasions against opponents of varying skill.

I think the overwhelming prevalence of irradiate in pro TvZ games vs EMP in pro TvP games isn't really because EMP isn't a powerful ability. I think it has more to do with the difference in the nature of TvZ and TvP games.

Zerg vs Terran is all about lurkers, and later darkswarm. The very structure of how a Zerg plays against Terran right away warrants a much greater need for mobile detectors vs Zerg. And in later parts of the game, darkswarm is a major factor that make or break the Zerg going up against Terran in most cases. The importance and impact of darkswarm for Zerg is far greater than any other single ability for the other races, so being able to guarantee a kill on a defiler has increased importance from the Terran's perspective. The darkswarm by nature also renders most of Terran damage output useless, so it is also more important to counter the enemy's ability to use it as Terran. It is different from spells like psi storm where the Terran will still function as it would normally.

In TvP games, Terran puts a heavier focus on going mechanical. Heavy hitters with better resilience and overall durability is far more important in a game vs Protoss. With less need to rely on mobile detectors compared to a game vs Zerg, and a far greater need to produce more heavy units that can last against Protoss with every buck in the bank, Terran naturally will invest their money more into heavy units than the SciVes+EMP combo.

One other major factor, and IMO one only applicable at the pro level, is that the EMP is a target ground spell, where as the irradiate is a target unit spell. With insane micro capabilities, Korean pros can more often than not micro to avoid most of the damage from an incoming EMP missile that is quite easily visible, this is different from the psi storm because even though it also targets ground, it is at least instant and do not fire in the form of a traveling projectile. This would create more frustration and wasted energy for the Terran player. Irradiate however, is instant cast on a target unit at range, it is guaranteed and you cannot miss. Players above a certain level of skill all avoid EMP, but it isn't consistent and certainly isn't close to being all the time. I truly believe this is a deciding factor for progamers only.

7. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

If you look at it like that the new EMP works even better: The good players will run away, the bad will eat the EMP. In that case EMP works even if it isn´t cast just by the threath that it MIGHT come. I don´t think you will be able to see an enemys Energy reserve.

8. pro

pro New Member

i always get science vessels when people get high temps and stuff it helps alot

9. pro

pro New Member

emp takes all energy and shields out this works good with nuking buildings and on high temps