1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spam Land

Discussion in 'Space Junk' started by ijffdrie, Apr 5, 2008.

?

What's the maximum number of votes?

1. Max

72 vote(s)
    72.0%
  2. Min

28 vote(s)
    28.0%

Spam Land

Discussion in 'Space Junk' started by ijffdrie, Apr 5, 2008.

1. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

Wait, being stunned by pallys and rogues is fun now?

2. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    doesn't mean i don't have to come when signed as raider :p

3. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

They're casual except for the role aura has, which is guild dps ***** .

4. Stirlitz

Stirlitz Member

Greece
    Err, pve is scripted and pvp reactive, so no?

Edit: For clarity: Arena is nowhere near my definition of pvp, which consists either of outdoor pvp which relies on good control and battlegrounds(rated/war games) which require good communication, strategy and reactive play. Arena, especially the non 5vs5 brackets, is more based on comp than skill, tbh, and is pretty much pre-defined in like 50% of the part.

PvE is good only so long as you're doing it in a competitive level, like server/region firsts or whatever, where you get to make the tactics for your setup yourself instead of mostly following a tankspot strategy someone found...

On a casual level, pve is boring as hell: The only involvement you get as a player is that you followed what the strat said well and the only reward, is a purple from a pinata, not my cup of tea...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  5. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

PvE is also reactive. The bosses don't do certain moves in a certain order.

In fact, I'd say the opposite of PvP. I'm not sure how much PvP you've done on higher levels, but there is DEFINITELY a set rotation each spec uses.

6. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

Pve is artificial intelligence pvp is natural stupidity, so yes?

7. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    So signing as raider makes you have to attend to each raid :?

8. Stirlitz

Stirlitz Member

Greece
    If you define pvp as pugging BGs, yes, it's no different.

PvE is not so much about reaction as much as coordination. Problem is that on non-competitive levels it's been reduced to following a set tactic or minute variations of it. Pugging a BG though, even though your teammates or enemies are 95% retarded, if you do play correctly and motivate/organise your teamplayers a little bit you can get victory even if the amount of retardedness was more in your side than the opponent side, and that does feel good.

Competitive PvE is deffinitely interresting. You take time down with your guild between wipes, scour combat logs and try to see what happened, and discuss how the strategy can be modified to beat the specific part you're having trouble beating. It's not of the type of "if less people stay in fire we'll get him this time" but more of "If we didn't do this but did that instead, would it help groups A and B with that?" type of discussion, which is in itself very interresting, and the results are extremely rewarding.

Competitive PvP is though by far the best thing there is in the game, imo. It's not only devising a strategy depending on your role composition(which was also true for 40man raids) but also having to adapt that strategy to the one the opposing team is using. Learn to read what the opposing team is gonna do after and respond before they even start doing it. Good premade vs premade battles are by far the most exciting and interresting thing I've done in this game...

As for my experience, I've had 1 rank 13 toon and 2 rank 11 ones with more than ~200k kills spread across my toons, 2 times duellist in early tbc, and have had quite a few server firsts, from razorgore to 4h - across 3 high end raiding guilds i've played... As for PvP, having spent ~1,5 month in the n1 pvp guild in europe back at the time(Grammerpolice on haomarush) I can tell you that repeatedly beating <Curse>'s premade 4-1 on AB is one of the best feelings one can have in this game.

Edit:
    The worst part of PvE is raid attendance for a very important reason: You have to schedule your life around your playhours which for me is completely wrong. And that's because you can't just have a big guild and whenever 10 people are online someone calls "Starting raid, /w for inv". If you have the people online earlier and organise a raid on the fly, the ones who missed it will have missed the rewards of it and get pissed, so raiding can't be done outside of schedule. You can however run a premade BG group anytime 10 people are online, or even less and just bring in some friends too...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  9. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

I only raid very very occasionally (not even seen an entrance yet in cata) and don't have the problem rora does.

Also, I remember back when I did Arathi that I got kicked for being afk when I was defending the farm. And back when I did WSG no one ever listens to anyone. And when I did Alterac, no one spoke enough english to understand what a bridge was. I dont think I have done any BG's newer than eye of the storm.

10. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I like deadmines.

11. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

I remember back when Dire Maul was considered new.

12. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I remember when Mr. Smite was there. Which was just before cataclysm.

13. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    It's a hobby. Late at night. I don't hear people complain when they have a soccer match in the middle of the day either, or go to the gym at night. Also, late at night I don't have anything better to do anyway. Watching tv fails in comparison to having a fun raid with 24 people you hang out with on a regular basis, if only online.

14. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

15. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Zug zug!

16. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

My life for aiu.... I MEAN NER'ZHUL!

17. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    FOR PONY!

there, i fixed it

18. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    SC has been out for ~150 days. Yet I see people with thousands of games played and won, like here.

How? 3000 wins in 150 days, that translates to 20 wins every day which translates to about 35 games, assuming he got the game right when it was released. And assuming he can't play 35 games every single day, it means he played about 50 games quite often in 1 go. :err:

19. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    35 games, if each game is 20 minutes long that's 700 minutes, which translates to 11 hours 40 minutes a day of gameplay. at 15 minutes per game, 8 hours 45 minutes a day.

20. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

Since they are pretty good, games are probably closer to 10 then 15.