1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soul Hunter

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by coalescence, Jun 13, 2007.

Soul Hunter

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by coalescence, Jun 13, 2007.

1. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    oh i knew that but how did the cheat become opeartion CWAL. What did operation CWAL do to achieve its "fame"

2. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Mindlessly accepting whatever's handed down just because it's from the oh so mighty Blizzard is rather sad IMO.  If that's how things worked Blizzard wouldn't need any external testing at all, screw non-Blizzard opinions right?

In the real world, criticism and competition is what drives the human race to better itself and advance to higher grounds.  Those that do not seek to constantly improve will fall by the wayside, even if it's Blizzard.

Arguing that the original Protoss building summoning animation is like NE wisps, and that it justifies phase cannon movement animation, is flawed logic.  So all vaguely circular sprites are all the same?  I guess spore colony's spores and guardian's attack were wisps too, what was I thinking?

With that kind of reasoning, we can just have Toss buildings slide around to move without additional animation or explanation, because they were already in the first game right?  Ultralisks can be made to fly in the air when it still looks like it's just walking on the ground.  Why even give it wings or make it beliveable at all when it's by Blizzard and hey, it already had the walking animation in SC1.

I wasn't too big on the story and lore of SC, but from how I understand it, the blue blob when summoning Protoss buildings are like portals or rifts in space to bring buildings in from Aiur.  In that sense, not only does it look stupid, it makes no sense to be able to freely move that around.

My point is, just because the graphical representation of Protoss building summoning back in the 2D original made in 1998 with limited technology is similar to the gay blob we have for phase cannons now, does not mean they are the same, connected in any way, or fits to explain or justify it.

EDIT: ^ Operation CWAL stands for "can't wait any longer."  I think it was a group of writers who was very eager for the release of the original SC that got together to voice that they wanted SC released sooner.  I think they wrote many humorous stories while they waited that gained popularity and fame.  They were a very dedicated group and eventually touched the heart of Blizzard I guess.  You can still find stuff about CWAL on the web.  This is just my limited knowledge of it and I don't know if any of this is accurate, someone please correct me.

3. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    Exactly my thought Remy. I don't know what else to add. Well put! :powerup:

Thanks for the info on Operation CWAL.

http://www.cwal.net/ <-- Google FTW!

haha and it seems like they are up at it again. The articles on the front page are hilarious ^_^.

4. coalescence

coalescence New Member

@FlyingTiger

My bad, must have misread that one.

5. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

Who said anything about mindless acceptance? I said I had faith that they will have tested it enough to justify the mechanics of how you will be able to move it, be it within or outside of Blizzard.

Now I will admit that wisps looking like Protoss was a bit of a stretch, but what you said about all sprites looking the same and insinuating that I was saying that wisps look even remotely like spore colonies' spores or guardians' attack projectiles really wasn't necessary. You know they don't look alike, and you know that anyone who has played SC knows that they do not look alike. You took some liberties in that area of your post.

In regards to the bolded section of your post, however, I totally agree. In my previous post I was arguing for the mechanics of the "moving phase cannon" thing. You make a good point in that intergalactic summoning of buildings should not look the same as moving them around within the field of a pylon. I neglected to realize those physics of Protoss building construction in my previous post when I described the warp sprites as "a Protoss building that hasn't been fully built."

6. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    C'mon guys, only 2 or 3 more pages to go and we'll have officially bitched more about Soul Hunter than Marine Shield :p

7. SirBaron

SirBaron New Member

None taken, that's just one of the few words i got some serious problems spelling in English. :)

8. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I've played through most of Blizzard's occasionally absurd patches on various games, and if you read some of my other posts you perhaps know that I don't find SC1 very perfect. SC1 was no doubt utterly awsome and one of my favorite games of all time, but still has things that I see that could be improved on. So, no, I do not share your level of faith in Blizzard's game crafting magic.

If there are things that need improvement, my opinion is, the community as a whole should always voice it. You might be right that the end results will be well acceptable, but this is not that time. Past Blizzard games have seen drastic changes during development, which is now for SC2. I think we should all voice our opinions rather than just waiting to accept the release product.

On the spores, I exaggerated to make a point. I just took what you said and showed you what it is if you take it one step further. If you agree summoning => wisp was a stretch, then surely you would understand that I was merely stretching your stretch. I think make a point I did.

On the mindless acceptance part however, I didn't mean to offend you, nor was it directed solely at you alone. Like I said, I'm more for voicing and criticizing than just all of us being loyal fans by default.

So... you're against gay blobs too now?

9. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

ah ha, the vindicator? it looked like a zealot with a gattling gun. give me a dragoon anyday. the soul hunter is the first fast moving land unit for the protoss since the scarab

10. paragon

paragon Guest

Protoss aren't fast. They are dreadnoughts of fear and terror walking menacingly onto the battlefield and dealing out massive damage and taking great amounts of damage while staring you in the face telepathically laughing at your pathetic attempt at combat.

11. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

nerdy voice
    I fail to see the correlation between sexual preference and the way graphics in a video game appear
    GLOYVEN!
    [img width=155 height=217]http://users.ox.ac.uk/~orie1381/Frink.gif[/img]

jk ^_^

I agree, although I don't think they should totally reconstruct from the ground up how buildings warp in, they should think of something new for this new situation of a moving structure in the game.

12. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Yea, just a new animation for relocation would shut me up on the pansy ghost fairies.

13. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

that's the kind of thinking that lost aiur.

14. DontHate

DontHate New Member

i think they're pretty cool. i don't know what you think is wrong with em'. i mean they're just like a stalker.

15. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    No dude....they are NOTHING like the stalker...Stalkers are ambushers who deal dmg equal to ALL units, not just organic ones, and they don't have to suck souls to do it. Soul Hunters are Grunt-looking Dark Templar that chill around on hoverboards and suck souls....there is a COMPLETE difference

16. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

speed is of the essence, biatch

17. paragon

paragon Guest

I thought it was the fact that they were surprise attacked and aldaris and his fool conclave wouldn't take the necessary steps in time.

18. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

no, it was because they thought that they were still top dog until it was too late.

19. paragon

paragon Guest

yes, because of aldaris and the conclave.

20. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

a complete overhaul of protoss technology is required for them to survive. In the original dragoons got pwnd by everything, when they where supposed to be like dreadnaughts rofl.