1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soul Hunter

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by coalescence, Jun 13, 2007.

Soul Hunter

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by coalescence, Jun 13, 2007.

1. LoserInLosing

LoserInLosing New Member

The idea of Hoverboards.... Huh??? where did that come from

2. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Spar-

I think someone on Blizzard watched Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer.

3. SirBaron

SirBaron New Member

:eek: In an odd way, that makes sense.

4. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I'm usually not one to argue game design with logic or realism, but hell, presentation matters dammit. Not to mention all plausibility going down the drain. Bad!

I lose my internet for a week and a half, I finally get it back up, now this. Why can't they feed us with more sci-fi BS to explain crap, rather than throwing in all this mystic crap that no one will like?

Zealots "dematerializing" to charge when it looks like just plain running was bad enough, but now we gotta have soul sucking hover robos. I really hate soul hunter design inside and out. Paragon's quick design is 10 times better, the other suggested names sound better too.

We also got cannons turning into pansy ghost fairies floating their asses to places like bloated Night Elf wisps. Can't they just warp/blink to their destinations? They really have to move the way they do? I mean, really?

I've always liked Toss least out of the three races, but never because of utter aesthetic gayness.

5. Gold

Gold New Member

hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa lol
    so harsh, the soul hunter is the only silly thing to me, i dont like there looks or the way they move or whatever, the other stuff is cool though.
    i hope they make zerg cool

6. paragon

paragon Guest

You sir deserve a power up for that. But I already gave you one somewhere else.

I had never thought of the phase cannons moving but it is rather dumb and instantly moving and then taking a little longer to rematerialize would make so much more sense and look so much better.

7. Piretes

Piretes New Member

Since I just registered on these forums, what is and how do I give a "power up"? I see the power level stuff all over, yet how does this work?

On topic, I think that there's nothing wrong with those "pansy ghost fairies" as you delicately put it. What should it become then? See it as a sort of warp state, yet not thorugh the enternity of space but over ground. Not that I am an authority on this, but for me it seems rather natural.

I do agree on the "Soul Hunter" name. Sounds rather cheesy and juvenile, yet the mechanics of the unit iteself add a nice perspective. No reason to cut it. The animation looks good too, and the model looks great. The name though....

However, you, Remy, sure have a way with words :).

8. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

am i the only one who likes the soul hunter? seriously, everyone else has one part of it or another to bitch about.

9. paragon

paragon Guest

Yes. You are the only one. They should be the Vindicator from Ghost.

10. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I read about the leaked vid before watching it, and as soon as I read the part about cannons that can be moved, I envisioned it like how Paragon described it.

They should just give cannons warping animation, and make the process take as long as it needs for gameplay balance. During this process they can just make the cannons at the old location have a "beam me up scottie" animation and a blue warp-in "beam down" animation for cannons at the new location.

I think this is also what Paragon was talking about. Blue blobs of ethereal fart have no place in a Protoss base dang it!

11. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

Although I respect your perspective, I also think that for balancing reasons, that the phase cannons in energy phase mode works better, because it makes the phase movement FAR more risky for offensive manuevers. Think of it, if a pylon/phase prism are destroyed while many phase cannons are moving forwards, then the attacked is ruined. If instant teleport "FROM ANYWHERE ON THE MAP" occured, then you could hoard cannons in a safe location, move one phase prism to a sneaky corner, and then unfairly mass teleport an enormous battalion of movable pylons.

The phase energy mode carefully balances the power of these cannons, as the photon cannons as a defense structure, is universally effective!

Remember back in the day when Photon Cannons had a 20 explosive damage attack and cost 200 minerals? Also their range was shorter and they took longer to warp in? Cannons used to be one of the worst defense structures in the game, almost as bad as the useless sunken cannons which could be killed by a couple zerglings. lol

12. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    ^ You misunderstood me.

I'm not saying I want actual "warp-in" type of movement for cannons, although you could already just summon a new one within remote pylon power with phase prisms. What you said can already be done in SC2 for the most part. I never said the relocation should be instant.

It can all just work the same for the most part, and limit the range. I just want them to find a different way of presenting it graphically.

13. SirBaron

SirBaron New Member

They need to do something about the Soul Hunter, it looks ridicolouous.

14. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

power levels are increased or decreased by clicking the blue or red arrow under a person's avatar
    It's basically a popularity contest, it doesn't get you 1337 H4X or anything if you get to a power level of 500

SirBaron, no offense but your attempt at spelling "ridiculous" is ridiculous....that's way too many vowels at the end there

soul hunters are t3h gh3y

15. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    You also need 12 posts to power up or down in addition to what nikzad posted above.

I have to disagree with you a little because I also agree it looks aesthetically gay (haha nice wording remy ^_^) having the phase cannons magically float into other places. Wouldn't it make sense to have like them warping out and warping in (like it takes some time of course warping) in the battlefield. I mean think of it like the animation of the buildings warping in (see Stargate screenshot). We don't want some night elf crap in the protoss.

16. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

I agree that the soul hunter doesn't look good, but complaining about the warp "wisps"? Give me a break.

Assuming that this is the final look of how it will move, I have faith that Blizzard has concluded that these movement mechanics will be the most effective method, and that they have tested it fully (or in their case, excessively). So assuming they will use this method of being able to move the phase cannon, how else would they visually portray it?

A Protoss building in its first stages looks like a wisp. If anything, wisps from WC3 are rip-offs of Protoss buildings.

Take a Protoss building that has not been fully built.

Then give it the ability to move.

And there you have the model for the moving phase cannon.

17. paragon

paragon Guest

Maybe if we form a petition to change the soul hunter to the vindicator they will listen. Look at Operation CWAL, that's famous and got a cheat code named after it and their name in the special thanks.

18. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    oh what did Operation CWAL do?

19. thitian

thitian New Member

lmao

this thread is really funny...

for all our sh haters did u think about the zerg players not wanting theyr lings mutate into lil balls?
    we could cry too .. omg these balls arent round enough .. i dont like the green color hahahhaa

sh looks awesome to me and perfectly fits for the dark protoss using its arm thing to strenghten its psi-whatever drain
    and to be fast + flexible using some kind of air-motorbyke...

i dont see why ppl complain about the ms as well .. its just protoss perfection.

anyways just wait for the final version it wont be bad :thumbup:

20. coalescence

coalescence New Member

It speeded up building and upgrades were done immideatly.