1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Help Please?

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Frosty, Nov 28, 2007.

Some Help Please?

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Frosty, Nov 28, 2007.

1. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    One thing I sould comment on though is the fact that if you get a gaming laptop make sure you get spare batteries because the high end CPU and GPU are power hogs.

Due to restrictions in hardware for Laptops if you want a gaming laptop you will have to get the high end stuff but with desktops you can get a mid range and upgrade it to suit your needs. I should also note that if you plan on playing games other than SC2 you are going to want more than what SC2 will require since Blizzard games usually have low requirements.

I see no reason to get a video card with less than 256MB of memory but most of the higher end cards have 512 so you should be good there. Also I should note that Intel just came out with a new chip that uses a smaller process so they should use less power and genreate less heat so try and get a syste with one of those if possible.

2. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    They don't make 512 MB video cards for laptops yet. Sadly...

Also, I've heard of the Intel chip but as far as I'm aware its not in production and isn't expected to be until sometime this summer, if then. Not to mention that when you reduce power input, even when you increase efficiency, the laptop isn't going to perform as heartily. That's why I always go with the motto of "sit by a plug."

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-6055744-7.html

And if you look at the prices, realistically, for what you're getting (a portable gaming system that can be used just about anywhere) the laptop is really worth the slight increase in price. The video cards aren't all that expensive. I mean, you can buy the same type specs in a desktop for $1,000, yes. But the laptop costs $500-600 more than that... I'm willing to pay that to have something that goes everywhere.

3. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    This is what I was talking about. Its only for servers and high end desktops so no budget or laptop CPUs yet but from what I have heard the rest of the 45nm is supposed to come in January.

4. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    That's not really anything to get excited about. In fact I would be looking more toward the article that I put up there. Penryn is just a logical step up from Conroe in that it pushes the physical limitation boundaries back another 5 years, as per usual. Eventually though we're going to hit a brick wall, just like the one currently being encountered in the speed of SATA drives. Things can only get so fast and so large in their current physical state.

The big thing to be keeping an eye on in computational development is the research on nanotubules for use in wiring to speed up the conduction of signals. This has my brother and his friends pretty excited (they're Electrical Engineers) because these boards can be "grown" and will transmit at an absolutely insane rate. But these new processors really won't affect much, it's just an answer to the problems they've been having with the "Duo Core" processors they've been releasing. They overcame some speed hurdles that weren't making them very effective cost-effective wise in desktops.

5. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    that IS the Penryn.

The article was about the first released Penryn early this month. The rest of the Penryn chips are duein 08 but you can now get the top-end quad core penryn for $1000

and yes the nanotube processors will be interresting but they better come quick before Intel has to start using gamma rays to make the traces on their chips.

6. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Its hard to make a realy good gamer pc, as its nearly impossible to get a high end grafic card. Its also hard to get +660 mhz Ram, and if i remember right, rts games fast rams are better then a lot of gb slow.

7. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Yes speed is very important but you still want to have a large ammount of ram. The more ram you have the more information can be stored in your RAM and the less the swap file is used which due tobeing on your HDD is VERY slow.

Also you want to have a large cache on your processor since those are at core speeds and are several times faster than the RAM so the more info onthe chache the less the processor has to throttle down to read the main memory.

8. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Ofcourse, But genneraly speeking 1Gb 1200mhz Ram is as good or even a bit better then 2Gb 600mhz Ram because the mhz is the speed. And yes, the processor Is the core of the computer, like the brain of a human.
    Another thing you cant get when using Laptops is Hyper X.
    Here in my country u can get 2GB 1000mhx Hyper X Ram for 200 dollar. 1 dollar =0, 67 euro.
    Hyper X has the ability to overclock you ram(s) for a few seconds, femoving lags in some situations. That ability could be used in situations when you are playing a huge battle in SC2. Therefore Hyper X is realy good for high end rts. Some think that hyper x sucks, but my recearches show that it pawns (but cost a bit more like 40 dollar/26euro more for 2GB). You cant get hyper x for laptops in my country at least. And Hyper X dont damage you Rams, as the overcloking only is used in a few seconds. And the overcloking is a high boost in W, not like normal overcloking.

Edit: and ofcourse you need a goods harddisk too, mine is 300 MB/sek (SATAII-300)

9. Rex

Rex New Member

Wow the X.P.S I saw it the friggin Hardrive itself it big as a normal computer all together!!!! >.>