1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Siege Tanks

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Whatsifsowhatsit, May 27, 2007.

Siege Tanks

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Whatsifsowhatsit, May 27, 2007.

1. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Landing a rax and landing an infested CC isn't the same thing. One is early-game, while the other one is much later at tier 3 tech.

As for detecting, yes I really do always bring observers or science vessels when I play against Zerg. Especially when I'm assaulting their choke. It is 100% guaranteed that they'll have lurks at choke. This is late in game when infested terrans are already accessible, why would you set yourself up for headache and the need to bring some anyway. Not to mentioned burrowed lings/hydras out farther that could take out your high templars or siege tanks.

In fact the most generic textbook build for Toss when you don't want to immediately choose a path after cybernetics, between reaver tech and templar tech, is to just get some observers first.

2. Singuris

Singuris New Member

Milwaukee
    i don't know why any of you would think that infested Terran strategy is a good idea personally i think they aren't worth the hassle the only way you can get some use out of them is to drop them out of an overlord even then not so much.[quote

author=red_dragoon link=topic=143.msg8224#msg8224 date=1181445927]
    :powerup: couldn't have said it better myself dude. They need to make them look badass or else there are gonna be a lot of unhappy people....
    [/quote]

got one unhappy guy right here come one those 6 tanks in the video of game play where touched by a few zealots in sc1 never would have happened

3. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    the seige tank is fine very terran(but they shouldn't have changed the look) the marine sheilds are stupid(the suits are supposed to have the armour but a bayanet for melee units would be cool) and infterrans are effective if you can use them right(its like argueing zealots suck becouse you can't use them right) besides nydus worms look like they will go brilliantly with Infterran(they did come up not on creep didn't they?)

4. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I'm very interested to hear what your idea is on how to use infested terrans "right."

5. mc2

mc2 New Member

I've just played several games using Zerg and Infested Terrans are particularly useful at breaking the choke point defenses of a wall of siege tanks.

What you do is charge a massive wave of hydralisks into the Terran opponent's base (as usual). When all the siege tanks and marines in bunkers are too involved in taking out the hydras, you send in around 6 Infested Terrans. Don't worry most of their defenses don't even notice the approaching ITs. Then BOOM, most of the siege tanks are eradicated and your hydralisks swarm in. Say goodbye to the base.

And Remy since you are good at microing mutalisks I'm sure you are also going to be good at microing infested terrans ;)

Last but not least, infested terrans can also be used against reavers, photon cannon, sunken colony and ultralisks in similar situations.

6. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Call me old school, but I would just darkswarm in those situations.

How did you get infested terrans to even make it up to the enemy when they have 20 HP less than hydras? The siege tanks should be able to take them out easily in most situations. Infested terrans are one shot for a sieged tank. If the tanks are staggered, it wouldn't be easy to pull off even if it's just off of the splash damage.

I've given on them a long time ago after I've conducted my own extensive testing/research. They suck like hell in my book, even til today. But if you can stand the pain of getting them, and then make them work for you, then hey all the more power to ya. ;)

7. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

siege tanks are the best! destination. tantarararaan tantarararaan. heheh

their normal attack (not in siege mode) should be chage in sc2, it should look powerful. in sc1 i dont like the way they fire when not in siege mode.

8. Singuris

Singuris New Member

Milwaukee
    all around infested terran are the blow but you could overlord drop them couldn't you

9. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Yes, you could.

10. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    you don't send them all in clustered or one explosion and you lose the whole lot you send them in spaced and be prepared to lose a few.
    distractions also help.
    you aim for important structures not just units etc.(a pylon hit should allow the rest of them to get in some do some long term damage).
    when playing against zerg build a nydus canal and pour them over.

11. Singuris

Singuris New Member

Milwaukee
    only problem is all the trouble you would have to go through for it to work.
    Although I have only played zerg in the campaigns I think infested terran are the blow

12. Associate

Associate New Member

A siege tank without a minimum range would do fine in my opinion as other sides appears to have many new units intended for countering some classic Terran strategies, What I'm concerned about is the reduced firing rate of the siege tanks, I watched the video and it took the siege tanks roughly 5 seconds to fire another round! I mean it doesn't take them that long to fire their cannons in the previous game, Now, with the Protoss having access to their new Immortals which unlike the previous Dragoons have a "hardened" shield against powerful attacks, the Terrans are probably more at risk. I don’t like to remember the unbalances I've seen from the previous game which made me quit the game even though I really liked playing SC, Blizzard should make efforts to make sure the game is tightly balanced

13. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Exactly. QFT

14. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

giving siege tanks no minimum range would be way too unfair
    if you think about it, siege tanks are very well balanced as it is...if anything, they are unbalanced in their favor

siege mode gives a tank extra range and attack, but sacrifices mobility, and is vulnerable to units that can run straight up to it (excluding air vulnerability, since this doesn't vary between modes)

now, if you take away the minimum range, your only negative is inability to move. this may seem like something very big, but if you think about it, why would they need to move? (take sc1 for example) they would have to move to avoid stuff like plague, psionic storm, etc. but who can even get in casting range without being incinerated?

not to mention, when a game gets to that point where terran has teched up to tanks, zealots and zerglings are necessarily as handy as they were at the earlier stages to use to counter

15. T-man

T-man New Member

Remember that the game was played at half-speed or Normal speed, not Fast or even Fastest as I (and most people probably) play at. This speed difference could have a huge effect on attack rate.

16. Singuris

Singuris New Member

Milwaukee
    should not matter what the speed was it would all unfold the same and in sc1 that would have never happpened the siege tanks should be left as is although un siege mode could use some work

17. Oiyzas

Oiyzas New Member

Call me a stickler, but I absolutely refuse to use the new Siege Tanks until they stop looking like toys made of plastic and rubber. The new tank model blows it.

18. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

there is a price to pay for a lack of minimum range: serious damage inflicted on your tanks, and they go bye bye

19. LoserInLosing

LoserInLosing New Member

Mininum Range is definately there, if not siege tanks would suicide emselves.

20. mc2

mc2 New Member

Unfortunately as it is, the new siege tank will look like plastic toys again. They simply can't make it look "ass-pwning" because we look at it high from above in the game, that's why it looks small and cheap. The reason why most people, including me thinks tanks are big bad ass machines is because we always see them high above us in movies and tv. But in reality they'll always look cheap if you zoom out. Just compare the size of a tank with the marine and you'll know how big they really are :) Besides the mothership looks kind of lame too (looks like a turtle) so don't feel bad about the tanks :)