1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Siege Tanks

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Whatsifsowhatsit, May 27, 2007.

Siege Tanks

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Whatsifsowhatsit, May 27, 2007.

1. mc2

mc2 New Member

hehe true. the thing is reavors are awfully slow and always require accompanying shuttles. they also have a slow cooldown time.
    The SPLASH damage of nuke strike just makes the terran seem too powerful, and the siege tank too. and the ghost gets to cloak while pinpointing the nuke so it does take a while to send a detector over.
    yes infested terrans, u can only use it once, still pretty powerful for a zerg, and quite cost effective compare to scourge.

2. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I <3 my infested Terrans....For the Overmind!

Nukes....It's overkill using them on anything but a command center, but it takes two or three nukes to kill a command center.

And if you front line Reavers, they suck. But, if you play them right, one Reaver can deal upwards of 2000 damage. Not to mention racking up kills like no other. I had one with something like 75 kills once.

3. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    The cost of the nuke includes:
    Barracks: 150 -partially negated by the fact that it is useful beyond nuke tech
    Academy: 150 -partially negated by the fact that it is useful beyond nuke tech
    Factory: 200/100 -partially negated by the fact that it is useful beyond nuke tech
    Starport: 150/100: -partially negated by the fact that it is useful beyond nuke tech
    Science Facility: 100/150
    Covert Ops: 50/50
    Nuclear Silo: 50/50
    Nuclear Missile: 200/200
    Ghost: 25/75
    -----
    Minimum cost: 975/725

On top of that, you'll probably want:
    Personal Cloaking: 100/100
    Dropship: 100/100 - most players get some sort of detection towards their base entrances, walking in usually isn't an option unless you intend to hit the entrance itself.
    -----
    Bringing it to 1175/925.

And of course, I tend to include a Medic and Science Vessel as support, which adds another 150/275. Sometimes I even include a small group of Marines with an SCV to start working on a bunker in the enemy base, creating a beachhead for my cleanup squad.

Then...you have to make it into their base, hoping they haven't already scouted you and noticed the silo, deal with placing the nuke and surviving an attack from an army that is probably 525-725 minerals worth of units larger than yours. Even with splash, a nuke won't take out a player's most important buildings, meaning they still have the infrastructure to get back at you with force. After your first launch, unless your enemy is really thick, occupied, or crippled, they'll begin creating nuke countermeasures that will mean you won't be able to pull off many more hits, if any. You better hope you caused more than 1250 worth of combined resources worth of damage if you want the strike to pay off. Nukes are not any more powerful than anything else, as you can see, the act of scouting is much more valuable than the time, tech and resources put into its construction, as the successful detection of a nuke operation tends to lead to its downfall.

4. starcraft2iscoming

starcraft2iscoming New Member

I WANT TO KNOW WHO BROUGHT SIEGE TANKS, ONTO MY BATTLE FIELD!! - Starcraft:Ghost tralier

5. reject_666_6

reject_666_6 New Member

^ Yeah, I remember that line. That was a really cool trailer, very Blizzardish.

How many of you think that the Starcraft 1 Siege Tank's non-siege mode firing animation was pretty pathetic? I think it was as crappy as a Ghost's attack but with an even more dry sound. Opinions?

6. l2k

l2k New Member

I second that... I can't even recall if I have been using the non-siege mode attack :-X

7. reject_666_6

reject_666_6 New Member

Non-siege mode for half of my tanks as soon as enemy Zealots appeared was pretty common for me. It's just a simple, short *poof* with the Ghost's hitting sprite on the target. Not very tankish, and plus the cannon had dual-barrels, so they could either fire more devastating-looking shells and they could double the rate of fire but cut the damage in half (also with a cooler animation).

8. starcraft2iscoming

9. WuHT

WuHT New Member

Its like hearing AWPs in CS. Whenever siege tanks go off, you're looking out.

10. KoN17

KoN17 New Member

It seemed though on the gameplay video, the siege tanks didn't have that much of a strong firepower in siege mode to whipe out most of those zealots :eek: :eek: :eek:

11. reject_666_6

reject_666_6 New Member

As I said before:
    1. They really need to change the model and the sounds of the tank.
    2. They really need to make balancing issues, too many Zealots got through for a unit that's not supposed to be effective vs. tanks.

12. mc2

mc2 New Member

Or they can replace tanks altogether. I think a new unit that has similar power as tanks would be good. if blizzard wants they can always but the tank's weapon on a air unit :D

13. reject_666_6

reject_666_6 New Member

What you talk about is heresy! Shun the non-believer! Shun!!!

But seriously, the tank is not just a specific unit, it's the whole idea of an armored vehicle of war. Removing the only tank unit in the game would be like chopping an army's right arm off...

14. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    That would be sooooooo BAD.

Mass tanks, but keep a little space between each one. INSTANT OWNED.

Equals, bad balancing. Try to think of that next post.

15. starcraft2iscoming

Tanks own, but they can be very unhelpful for defending bases sometimes. They do splash damage, and they can hurt you more than there real target! They can harm yoyr buildings, and kill your melee units, like a combination of siege tanks and firebats.

16. mc2

mc2 New Member

they are probably not going to replace tanks, i remember reading somewhere that 3 units from each race will be replaced, and tanks are not likely to be one of them, they should improve on the looks of it tho..

17. coalescence

coalescence New Member

I think thats a very stupid from blizzard looking at the fact that they're making a new game.

18. mc2

mc2 New Member

they'll have lots of balance issues to work out if they bring in too many new units

19. TheDarkTemplar

TheDarkTemplar New Member

Clearly more than three units are out in each race, Blizzard have said that there will be the same number of units per race as in StarCraft 1, so with Protoss they've brought in:

Stalkers
    Immortals
    Mothership
    Warp Ray
    Phoenix
    Phase Prism
    Colossus.

That means bye bye to seven Protoss units from SC1

20. coalescence

coalescence New Member

Thats not my point. Its more the fact that they say: "every species gets 3 new units."
    Just try to figure out what works out best and I don't give a rats ass about which army gets how many units replaced. Its just the statement; every army 3. Don't like that kind of bollocks.

Also,

How many work do you think someone has if they make a complety new game. And alot of developer do that, you know, making new games ;)
    And theres still a shit lot of balancing to do with units, old or new. They introduced 7 new units already for the protoss. Its not like balancing a zealot is easier now than balancing a complety new unit.

Correct me if I'm mistakin, but didn't they say that they weren't gonna make armies alot bigger. I think they will be slightly bigger.