1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Siege Tanks

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Whatsifsowhatsit, May 27, 2007.

Siege Tanks

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Whatsifsowhatsit, May 27, 2007.

1. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    This may be a double post... but, I made the last post in August lol!

The sensor tower is now officially revealed, and in one of the videos, you can see a bunch of siege tanks firing rapidly at two barracks. They fire really, REALLY fast! When the camero zooms out, you can actually see them shoot (not only the explotion from the hit) and its twice the speed, if not faster!

So, I guess it does much less damage now. what do you think? 60? 50?
    Also, this means that less damage will be spilled when shooting zerglings etc. No more ultra overkill. This is perfect for the siege tank when countering small units. yay! ^_^

2. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

I have no way of backing this up. But if you look at that one footage (sensor tower update) of the Red terrans attacking the blue barracks, I'm assuming that those add-on are low tier, thus their build time are relatively fast. In the video, the bottom/left barrack started building the add-on for a good 5-6sec thus the hp should be at least between 35-50hp. And judging by the tanks formation when they attack the buildings, the first shot was fired from a single tank and it manage to completely destroy the add-on. Thus i conclude that Siege Tank's main cannon do more than 30 damage. If i have to take a guess, it around 45-50 damage points

3. Tavisman

Tavisman New Member

I hope they haven´t nerfed the siege tanks damage, cause that was the thing, that made them good against units with lots of armor. For instance, fully upgraded ultralisks were almost fully protected against marine attacks, taking very little damage from each attack. Thats why the tanks should have high damage, and slower firing speed. I´m not saying, that I don´t like the shorter cooldown of the tanks, but if the tanks had high damage, AND short cooldown, then that would make them too powerful. However, it could be an (costly) upgrade to reduce the cooldown, like a passive stim pack. It should also change the tanks appereance, to quickly signal the attacking player of stronger resistance.

edit: of course the upgrade wouldn´t halve the cooldown, just shorten it.

4. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    I like the higher fire rate, I think it makes more sense that the siege tank would be able to shoot as fast as it does in normal mode as opposed to siege mode. I also like the new gun/barrel in siege mode, just looks a lot better imho, although I think the siege tank itself is just slightly too bulky.

5. DontHate

DontHate New Member

i see the higher fire rate, but i think that's the tank in normal mode. seems like it becuase when they move they dont take time to unsiege. Also, if they do accually do that, i would not like it. the reason i like the tank is becuase it does so much damage. It's also another reason why to chose siege mode instead of tank mode. Now there barely seems to be a difference other than siege mode doing more damage, which is stupid.

6. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    what, are you blind?! ;D (no offence)
    take a look again. ^_^
    when the camera zooms out, you clearly see that they are in siege mode when firing fast.

7. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Yeah I just watched the video real carefully - the tanks are definitely in normal mode. The higher rate of fire makes sense for normal mode as long as it's not too strong. The Siege Tank is meant to be deployed to out range and pummel the enemy. In normal mode, it just needs to defend itself. I like it.

Edit - To clarify the video, pay attention only to the Siege Tanks. As the buildings are destroyed and the tanks move fully into view, there is no unpacking animation, and what appeared to be the deployed treads are actually just un-deployed. Take a look for yourselves!

Also - Siege Mode = Siege Mode. Normal Mode = Tank Mode. Sorry for the confusion.

8. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    wait... with normal mode, you mean siege mode? huh...? Why cant you guys just call it siege and tank mode?! :p

9. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

@ Gasmaskguy - I edited my post to clarify, but normal mode = tank mode, not siege mode.

10. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    I agree, after carefully watching the video they are in normal/tank mode. Also, I don't like the shot animation for normal mode. There is too big of an explosion, and the giant puff of smoke on the shot is unnecessary. We have smokeless rounds right now, why wouldn't they have them in SC2?

On another note, if the normal mode damage is around 30, and reportedly the siege damage is around 100, with maybe 10 or more range, I think that is more then enough of an improvement to justify using siege mode more than normal mode.

11. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

I like the animation for the normal mode, but i think it would be better if the smoke was more of a very light gray color

12. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    i think that the attack animation in siege mode is much cooler.

13. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    right now they are seeing if the tank can be balance with a range of 13 in seige mode.

14. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Could the video with the siege tanks firing really fast just have been sped up for display purposes?

15. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

nah, if you look at the scv movement, they move at the same pace of other sc2 demos

16. WuHT

WuHT New Member

I have trouble telling apart the impact-animation of the attack of the siege tank in normal mode vs siege mode (probably going to sound different).

Something that deals 100 damage shoudl at least look more devasting than something that does 30 damage.

17. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    ummm..... just to let you know, the siege tank wasn't in siege mode in the movie, thats why it shoots faster.....

18. WuHT

WuHT New Member

im' pretty sure the majority of posters here came to the conclusions seeing as how the siege tanks move after firing and destroying the last barrack! Even then it's firing too fast for my taste (which are very much favouring anything SC-like).

19. ekulio

ekulio New Member

I'm really not feeling the power of the siege tank in the video. I need to FEEL THE POWER!

I'd rather it fired slower and did more damage. FOOM....POW you know?

20. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I am sorry DontHate, I am the one being blind (no offence to myself either). I can now see that they are in tank mode. I was confused since the explosions on the barracks looked like arclite explosions... man they should change how the tank mode attack explosion looks like....