Siege Tanks underpowered against Protoss?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Flamingdts, Dec 27, 2008.

Siege Tanks underpowered against Protoss?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Flamingdts, Dec 27, 2008.

1. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    So, I'm assuming the argument here is that it "seems" like most Protoss units are made to counter siege tanks? To me though it seems like only the Immortal with his hardened shield is made to do this and it can be easily countered with small arms fire such as reapers.

You also don't leave siege tanks alone most of the time you have other units with them while they provide artillery support or have them with behind fortifications such as bunkers or supply depots. You don't just roll up with just siege tanks to a group of Protoss and deploy right in front of them. That way with a group of other units supporting them the zealot charge will most likely be dead by the time they rush up to the siege tanks.

For example I could have a bunch of jackals and marines with the siege tanks, so if they tried to charge the jackals would toast them with their spalsh damage flamethrower weapons while they are also being shelled by the tanks and have to get through the marines blasting them. Sure they could put on charge and try to run past it but it will be quite difficult if the jackals are right there at the seige tanks waiting to toast them and such. The Protoss would have to use more than just a single unit type and even then not all of them can after the siege tanks if there are other terran units with them and if they do they most likely would all get wiped out by the other unit by the time they kill all the tanks.

My point being is Starcraft is gonna focus a lot more on unit mix and stratgey than just massing certain units and also I'm sure Blizzard is gonna balance the game enough where no one unit is sub-par compared to others.

2. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    The Protoss have one counter to sieege mode. That doesn't mske the tanks any weaker, it just forces the Terran player to think instead of doing what they would do in SC1 (i.e. roving artillery line).

Used properly, the siege tank will still be formidable at crushing oponents from afar, and from what I hear, they can now kill more than just a rat in assualt mode, so we might be able to see more mobile tank action, that would actuaally make the tank better if it can be effective in both modes where in SC1, most people only took the tanks out of siege mode to move them, and often wouldn't buy tanks until they had siege mode researched (or at least in progress)

3. JacobBlair1

JacobBlair1 New Member

Chandler, AZ
    I always thought seige tanks vs protoss was rigged and anything vs protoss is rigged protoss whoop terran ass, zerg>protoss protoss> terran terran>zerg a complete circle

4. Ronin

Ronin New Member

Beware
    Ideally all three races have an equal, more or less, chance to beat any random race. This is simply based upon the race, not the skill level or other uncontrollable variables.

A good example would be a comp vs comp tourney, TvP ideally it should turn out 50:50 from a set number of mates, like 20 or so.

5. Flamingdts

Flamingdts New Member

Thanks for everyone's opinions!

I've got a much better idea now of the Siege Tanks :D

6. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Siege tanks are acutely better now and no less underpowered versus anything because anything that does above 10 damage to the immortal gets cut anyways.

7. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Well, the idea from the start is that siege tanks and other units will always have their kryptonites, for me, the tank will always be a forte for any terran player if he does plan to win... ive been wathcing classic matches of SC1 and comparing the SC2 tanks priority.. and turns out the pro's are still fund of using them... I mean who wouldnt?? Just because immortals are meat shields doest mean that Terran is left for dead although im not sure how will terran vs protoss match will look like after its beta.. im thinking 60:40 protoss