1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Siege Tanks underpowered against Protoss?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Flamingdts, Dec 27, 2008.

Siege Tanks underpowered against Protoss?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Flamingdts, Dec 27, 2008.

1. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    No shield.

You might be confusing force field that makes an object that you cannot pass units through?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  2. Vampire

Vampire New Member

Canada
    Called forcefield. creates a temporary barrier in a selected location for a certain amount of time and it prevents units from moving through it.

3. Hayden351

Hayden351 Member

Oh the shield dosen't work the way I thought it did "Creates an invincible "globe" over a small area that lasts 15 seconds that blocks the movement of ground units and melee attacks. Units caught under the shield when it is placed may escape. The colossus may step over the shield."

4. Vampire

Vampire New Member

Canada
    Sorta except if there was like burrowed units on the shield area or something they would jump over to the nearest side.

5. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

i think immortals should have the damage limit on there shields changed from 10 to 15 or 20. i mean the ability it self is a truly nice ability but just seems a little much at times. i dont even like the idea of throwing small units at immortals as a counter

6. wodan46

wodan46 New Member

You realize the vast majority of attacks deal 10 damage or less, or only slightly more. Of those that do more, the Immortal takes a mere 8 hits before they start to take regular damage.

7. Hayden351

Hayden351 Member

Immortal
    270HP
    80SP
    10SP: Tank sieged=11HITS=dead Immortal
    15SP: Tank sieged=9HITS=dead Immortal
    20SP: Tank sieged=7HITS=dead Immortal
    Hmmm I think 1Immortal V.S 3sieged Tanks = 4HITS=dead Immortal
    But you still have to take in shield regenerating it atleast adds 4 hits, however 12 marines could easily take out a Immortal.

8. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

Shields don't regenerate in combat.

Immortals reduce incoming damage from (soft counter) the following units:

Protoss:
    Colossus (new damage mechanic makes this easy to see)
    Dark templar (cut damage in a quarter!)
    Immortal (a really boring match)
    Mothership (as an air unit, it still automatically wins)
    Stalker (minimal advantage, possibly none depending on exact shield rules)
    Photon cannon (cut damage in half)
    Archon

Terran units:
    Banshee (slight reduction, and the immortal can't fight it anyway)
    Marauder
    Siege tank (massive reduction; note that siege tanks have a high RoF in tank mode)
    Thor (cuts damage in half; thor do 80 damage a hit vs armored targets)
    Planetary fortress (cuts damage by about a third)
    Spider mine (cuts damage significantly; use them to clear mine fields!)
    Reaper mines (cuts damage slightly)
    Targeting drone (can neutralize bonus damage, depending on numerous factors; cannot directly destroy the cloaked floating drones)

Zerg Units:
    Lurker (reduce damage by two thirds; played a big role in the second Sonkie vs Yellow match)
    Swarm guardian (reduces damage significantly but has no hope of dealing with them)
    Queen (minimal damage reduction)
    Ultralisk (cuts damage in half)
    Spine crawler (cuts damage by two thirds)

The immortal cuts incoming damage by at least half against three ground units from each race:

Terran: Siege tank, thor and spider mines (perhaps you can ignore the mines)
    Protoss: Dark templar, photon cannons and archons (and immortals, but that shouldn't count)
    Zerg: Lurkers, ultralisks and spine crawlers.

I don't see their ability as being only useful against siege tanks, they just happen to hard counter them, and siege tanks aren't even the only unit they pwn, just the unit they pwn the most. If their limit was increased to 20, they'd only be reasonably useful against spider mines, siege tanks, dark templar, and spine crawlers. I think that's too big a nerf.

9. Ronin

Ronin New Member

Beware
    You missed one....er two, Kimera

Banelings, though technically you probably wouldn't want to use em against the Immortal anyway you could easily lose track of one and it decides to go kamikaze on an immortal in a bigger fight.
    Also void rays will, after 2 seconds of channeling, begin to feel the effects of the shield, even though they are air and would definitely win on a 1v1 scenario.

10. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    However, once the shield runs out, banelings would be very destructive against them, as the 10 damage limit only works when the shield hasn't been drained. Once drained, the Immortal takes full damage, meaning you should try to withdrawl the Immortal from the front lines once the shield runs out to allow the shield to recharge by either having them retreat or by blinking in stalkers in front of them.

As Immortals are fairly costly, you wouldn't want them to run out of shield and start taking full damage from all units.

11. Ronin

Ronin New Member

Beware
    Well I figured that the shield staying up would be a fairly obvious goal. Plus I was really only talking about its shields effectiveness, though a baneling would wreak havoc on a Immortals' health you would still need a good handful of them to take out ONE with its +-250 hp.

12. Symph0ny

Symph0ny New Member

Dallas
    Which is why mass anything doesn't work. SC has always been about scouting and mixing your units properly. That's why "Mass carriers = instant win" was never true, because it only works on terrible players. Just scout and counter, people.

13. Hayden351

Hayden351 Member

I have had lots of mass Carriers = instant win however that was only on fastes maps where they could mass 12 after 12 of Carriers before you could react.

14. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    that depends on the map. If the map is covered with thin pathways and lots of cliffs, carriers own just about anything. AI pathing causes problems for units like gols, hydras, and goons, which the carrier out-ranges. And most air units would have problems fighting mass carriers due to the spam of interceptors covering the general area, making it hard to target the carriers.

15. wodan46

wodan46 New Member

it deal 8*8 damage so no

Thors deal 10*4 damage, so far, none of the up to date wikis indicate that it has a damage bonus, though in the past it did double damage vs. Armored.

Seeing as the guardians makes broodlings, indeed.

Most effective way of dealing with them (sides air) is using things like Stalkers and other units who just barely activate the shield, making them waste it blocking minimal damage. Or you can slaughter them with any unit that attacks fast for small amounts of damage.

16. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

"it deal 8*8 damage so no"

That's eight attacks at eight damage. As far as I can tell, each hit isn't slowed down.

"Thors deal 10*4 damage, so far, none of the up to date wikis indicate that it has a damage bonus, though in the past it did double damage vs. Armored."

Plenty of sites have it dealing that damage. StarCraft Legacy does, and they have the recent stats from BlizzCon 2008. The wiki in my sig has that too.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  17. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    Actually, I believe the MS would win, since last I heard, the Immortal doesn't have a GtA attack.

18. wodan46

wodan46 New Member

So? None of those attacks deals 11 or more damage.

Very well. That is the cooler version of the Thor anyways.

19. Symph0ny

Symph0ny New Member

Dallas
    Good point, but you probably should have known the map and scouted their carrier build, then pushed early.

I'm not trying to talk about carriers specifically, but about how Blizzard games are well balanced enough that you can't have just one strategy and always win. You have to adapt and counter if you want to win consistently.

20. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

I think we're agreeing when we mean to disagree.

All I'm saying is the mothership slaughters the immortal. Its attacks ignore the special shields and the immortal can't shoot back.