Siege Tanks underpowered against Protoss?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Flamingdts, Dec 27, 2008.

Siege Tanks underpowered against Protoss?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Flamingdts, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Zerks

Zerks New Member

the roaches and banelings are half anti-armour units.

with roaches having extreme healing abilitie and banelings, although low hp and slow, you make enough nd youll see those tanks go down.

-Zerks

2. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Roaches do extra damage against biological targets so I don't think it can be counted as even a half anti armor unit. If the regen makes it that, then it also makes it, well, half anti everything, since the regen applies to all (except one shotters).

3. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    how much damage does a siege tank do in tank mode? and whats their bonus?

4. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

50 damage (+50 vs armored).

5. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
  6. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    15 + 10? That doesnt seem that useful to me.

7. wodan46

wodan46 New Member

Keep in mind that in the past Siege tanks did explosive damage. Converting old Siege Tanks damage to their equivalent in the modern version (small becomes light, large becomes armored), it looks like this:

Old Siege Tank: 15, +15 vs. Armored in Tank Mode, 35, +35 vs. Armored in Siege Mode
    New Siege Tank: 15, +10 vs. Armored in Tank Mode, 50, +50 vs. Armored in Siege mode

Also, in regards to Roach, keep in mind that Defense upgrades are always +1, while Siege Tank will be getting at least +5, so a Siege Tank with 1 attack upgrade will 1 shot a

How many shots it takes to kill un-upgraded units:
    1 Shot: [Marine, Hellion][Zergling, Baneling, Drone][Probe]
    2 Shot: [SCV, Reaper, Marauder, Siege Tank][Roach, Hydralisk, Lurker][Zealot, Stalker, High Templar, Nullifier]
    3 Shot: [Infestor]
    4 Shot: [Ghost][Queen]
    5 Shot: [Colossus]
    7 Shot: [Ultralisk]
    9 Shot: [Thor]
    14 Shot: [Immortal]
    In short, out of 25 ground units, Siege Tank kills 1/4 of them with one shot, and another 1/2 with the next shot. Remaining units are the 3 durable casters, the 3 Massive ground units, and the Immortal.

Also remember that you need visual on an enemy to shoot it, and in SC2, a unit can't directly obtain of a unit on the ledge above even if its close, meaning that Siege Tanks can sit right at the edge and bombard with impunity

8. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The Crucio Siege Tank shoots a lot faster than the Arclite in assault mode, so it's not that bad.

http://www.starcraft2.com/features/terran/sensortower.xml

First clip. Behind the Marines you see how fast they can shoot (seems like only half the cooldown of the old Arclite). This was of course a long time ago, but I don't think they've altered it much since then.

9. wodan46

wodan46 New Member

Wow, that is fast. Cooldown looks like it dropped from 30(dragoon speed) to 15(marine speed), so to speak. Given that Siege Mode has a cooldown of 75, that means that the new Siege Tank actually has better DPS vs. a single Armored target in Tank mode rather than Siege mode. This explains a lot about why they raised the cost of the Tank by 50 Minerals/Gas from its SC1 version. If they are still capable of shooting on the move, they are likely going to be excellent powerhouses.

10. duffman

duffman New Member

California
    they made it like this so that you cant just have only a siege tank defense. starcraft 2 is all about mixing units, imo. to counter the immortals you need marines, its that simple.

11. blindoutlaw

blindoutlaw New Member

Australia
    If you watch that first vid closely you can see the seige tank firing its guns one at a time (seige tanks have 2 gun barrels in assualt mode) and this new animation is the reason for its increased rate of fire

12. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I didn't notice that. Glad someone pays attention to stuff.

I don't think the animation settles the rate of fire all on it's own though. (correct me if you didn't mean that literally) They could have kept the old Arclite CD (cooldown) and just increased the damage to still have it perfectly balanced (and it could still take turns with the barrels in assault mode, It would only look less cool the longer the CD is), but that would reduce the contrast between the two different attacks.

13. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

The siege tank will be finejust means people will have to play with it smarter.
    I like the idea of a faster attack in assault mode makes it better when its on the move.

14. Hayden351

Hayden351 Member

Zerglings were a great counter to Seige Tanks in SC1 with their upgrades im not so sure in SC2
    Ultras were also a great counter to Seige Tanks
    I think the Nullifiers is the best counter for protoss aganist Seige Tanks

15. wodan46

wodan46 New Member

Actually, air units are the best protoss counter against Siege Tanks. On the ground, Immortals are good against a small number of Siege Tanks, capable of both enduring bombardment without assistance, then eliminating the Tanks without assistances. Nullifier's hallucinations will be helpful, but if you are going to use the Nullifier and another unit in order to take out Siege Tanks, you'd be better off just blowing them away with air units. Carrier is best, it has a range of 12, meaning that it can kill Siege Tanks while still being close enough to friendly ground units to be defended.

16. Hayden351

Hayden351 Member

Unless im wrong don't Nullifiers have shields that they can shoot through are is it just for protection.

17. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    That's immortals you're thinking off.

Immortals have hardened shields that prevent anything from dealing more than 10 damage an attack.
    Nullifiers are early spellcasters.

18. Hayden351

Hayden351 Member

I know and i know I was talking about Nullifiers. Nuillifiers have the ability to make a shield don't they?

19. Ziar

Ziar New Member

what do you mean because they start with a sheild around themselfs but i don't think they can

20. lvhoang

lvhoang New Member

Seattle, WA, USA