1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

siege tank less effective?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by EonMaster, Oct 10, 2007.

siege tank less effective?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by EonMaster, Oct 10, 2007.

1. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

yes some how your tanks are so awesome when you have "god know how many" of them they advance in a horizontal line instead of a vertical line

2. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Tanks turning into siege mode to fight enemy tanks already in siege mode just doesn't work.

Even with Thor's, the other players can tell them to fire at the tanks. An if you have "god knows how many tanks" + Thor's, your enemy (who didn't buy Thor's) would likely have more tank than you anyway. So even with the Thor's, you are dead.

3. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    yes. the best way is to use air units instead of trying to overpower a bunch of siege tanks.
    Drop pods with vikings and banshees would work much better, the banshees would slaughter all the siege tanks in a few seconds, without any huge casualties. If the defender has static AA, your banshees can overpower them much more likely than a bunch of unsieged tanks with a few thors can overpower a base full of siege tanks.

4. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Reacker i think your forgetting something in that situation you keep arguing. If you have all of your tanks attack the currently transforming tanks what is stopping the thors from using their 250mm cannons?

5. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

flesh is the one saying the thor is only good as a meatshield

6. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    Forgot about the cannons. All the more reason they are more useful than just being meat sheilds. If you've seen anything about SC2 in blizzcon, at the end of the Terran demo, you see a couple of thors use the cannon to destroy 5-10 siege tanks

as for defending choke points, the tank will still be better than the thor

7. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

give them the ION cannon or something. #(#$(* why do terrans relay only on bunkers and turrets. for the sake of gamplay balance? make it lore wise! give them NEW static base defense! SC2 needs to improve and add new stuffs on base defenses not only units (exception for the siege tanks). even moving canons for the toss is just not enough and boring. ^^

supreme commanders. redalert 2. CNC 3. has MANY and POWERFUL base defenses. ;D

if i want to turtle.. be it. i like dying and losing defending. 8)

8. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    And whats wrong with turtleing, its more fun that way!

I don't care about winning but like to have fun

9. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

there's nothing wring with turtleing because it's the player's own choice, but i would simply take over all the resources on the map and turtleing player will die a valiant death

10. Flesh

Flesh New Member

I think I know what the problem is. My posts are too long. I'll try to be more clear:

Use Thors as a meatshield - less casualties -> GOOD!
    Don't use Thors as a meatshield - more casualties -> BAAAD!

The ratio of attacking to defending terran units doesn't matter, you will always have less casualties using this tactic, and even if you loose your army will last longer before dieing. Note that im not saying Thors are only good as a meatshield, but in this particular situation (tanks vs tanks) this will be their primary function. Targeting enemy tanks manually is not effective, especially in large battles, the more tanks there are the less effective this tactic will be, for reasons I have already explained (twice).

11. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

the only reason we are having this whole argument is because you said that the thor's bombardment is not useful against siege tanks and it's basically only good as a meat shield in that scenario.

nobody can deny that the thor is a good meat shield, but it's also an expensive and high tech meat shield. there's no reason to research all the way up to tier 3 and spend so much resources to build a thor just to use it as a meat shield, despite it's huge hp it'll only last 7-8 tank hits. anything can be used as meat shield, a marine can take 2 siege shots and they are hell a lot cheaper than the thor. now admittedly it's not as good as a thor but they are low tech, numerous, easier to replace and moves a lot faster then the thor.

the thor is a tier 3 unit. even awesome tier 3 units such as the carrier don't get used much compared with tier one units like dragoons simply due to the fact it's tier 3, if the thor is only good as a meat shield then people would rarely use it. that's why blizzard gave it bombardment, which is useful against static defence including the siege tank, and the ability to hit air.

12. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    The thor is definately better than just being a meat sheild. If it is as expencive as I think it is, I would use the tank as a shield and use the bombardment ability of the thor to destroy a large number of enemy tank and even a bunker or two. Sure I lose a tank, but I did much more damage than I recieved.