1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should the zerg Guardian REturn

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by surr, Oct 6, 2007.

?

Should the Guardian Return

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I don't care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Should the zerg Guardian REturn

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by surr, Oct 6, 2007.

1. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

i have never said your opinion is less valid, i was simply saying those tactics won't work in medium to high level games.

about that video, there are 10 bcs and 50-60 scourges, hardly any scourges got killed, that's how good the scourge micro was

2. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I would say that me and my mates play medium level games. But that's beside the point. I thought it took about 5 or so Scourges to take down a Battlecruiser. Scourge do 110 damage on impact and the Battlecruiser had like 500-600 health didn't it? If my facts are right, and your facts are right, then there should only be about 10 Scourges left at the end of it.

3. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

4 or 5 scourges got killed and there were 4 left at the end, also it's possible not all bcs have max hp

4. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    That's true, but it would be a lot less spectacular if the Battlecruisers didn't even have full health. I'd just be like, yeah, but it's not as though they were even at full health. Also there were nine left right at the end with the Devourer. Still, if you could use Scourges like that, you could probably take out their Hive/Nexus/Command Center with them! ;D

I think I recognize that player, who's first shown at 00:37. I wonder how long ago this was taken. It says approximately 2001 in the YouTube description, maybe it's his older brother or something. :p

EDIT: Just realized that it is entirely possible to take out a Command Center with Scourges...

5. DeathRot

DeathRot New Member

ironicly zerg need some new air units u cant just bring all the sc1 Zerg air units back into sc2 to pit them against the new revamp protoss and terran air to air combat o i need to keep the guardians stuff like that maybe blizzard will make a zerg air sieging unit far better than the guardians with new stuff as far i know mutalisk and scourge will make a come back in sc2 but there not always a hope guardian and devourer will make a come back let blizzard decide what to go and what to come back into sc2 couse mostly what fans hope aim that useful in the sense and blizzard for i said did a great job with the new revamp protoss and terran air units and i think they should do a better job in making zerg to be as great as the other race. Let them do the stuff on the zerg when the units preview come out then we said who should go and what from sc1 the zergs has should come we cant just make a immediate stand O this Must STay that must stay let blizzard do their magic and they had to do a balance the old unit like the guardian whether it can adapt to the new enviroment with all the new crazy toys which the terran and protoss had

6. Overling

Overling New Member

Imagine zounds of scourges versus overload... -.-'

7. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

why versus overlord?

8. Overling

Overling New Member

Overload =/= Overlord

Overload extends the Phoenix damage to all units around it, instead of only one. Many Phoenixes together should kill no matter how many Scourges come.

9. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

until the overload finishes... but the scourges keeps coming

did you see that video on the previous page btw?

10. Overling

Overling New Member

Yes I saw! ;) But picture this: 2 control groups of Pheonixes intercalating in Overload. By the time one finishes using OL the other can start already, in an endless cycle of killing swarms of small HP units. Carriers' interceptors won't do versus Protosses anymore.

11. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

does overload not cost energy?

12. Inpox

Inpox New Member

yep, think they can only do one, then they have to wait a short while before they can do one again.

(like the battlecruiser in SC1 with reactor upgrade)

13. Overling

Overling New Member

Does it? I always thought its set back was the inactive time and cooldown imposed to a Phoenix when using it, but it could be used indefinitely. Anyway, this erases my concerns about Overload. Tho I still think OL without energy cost would surely rock. Imagine how many different combos could you accomplish?

14. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    The Guardian SHOULD return! its a really good unit and well balanced, no units can beat the fear of the Guardians except for air units :D

15. Inpox

Inpox New Member

yes indeed, its very strong (at distance against ground, does it get surprised by sum marines its screwed)
    and it got a very obvious weak point because it cant attack air and got low health (air units tend to have a strong air vs air attack)

16. DeathRot

DeathRot New Member

and 1 more weak point it is very slowwwww it doesnt had the time to retreat if been ambush when they been hit by air to air combat they are gone. guardian slow low hp cant attack air but a great far distance via anti ground attack

17. Goliath Online

Goliath Online New Member

get a replacement for it

18. terranupmyheart

terranupmyheart New Member

i rarely upgraded the guardians because they were so strongi wouldnt mind seeing a comeback

19. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Guardians in large groups could own nearly every single types of ground units. Only the Goliath had a range far enough to hit the Guardian without getting killed. Dragoons, Archons, High Templar, Marines, Hydralisks, etc. stood hardly a chance against Guardians unless they had air support or were in very large groups. Despite it not having an air attack, it's still one of their most powerful units, and as such, it should come back.

20. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Just because a unit is balanced in StarCraft1, it doesn't mean that the same unit will be balanced in, or even fit in with, StarCraft2. If it remained the same it would probably be underpowered because of the units like Viking and Pheonix. They already have a sever disadvantage with being pure Ground-to-Ground, as well as being slow. There are a lot more specialized Air-to-Air killers in StarCraft2, so it has a bigger disadvantage. If they just made it faster then it would be able to retreat a whole lot easier, unlike how it did in StarCraft1. Having a larger range wouldn't really help it that much more because it already out shoots any other unit, and Air-to-Air units would still be able to close the gap quickly. They would probably have to focus on damage and health/armor for it to be balanced well. Higher health wouldn't effect it that much anyway in my opinion, because it still won't be able to give the Guardian enough time to retreat, and increased damage could make it too powerful against buildings, and the enemy might not even have enough time to fly over defenses before a fairly major building is destroyed.
    It would be hard to just balance the Guardian alone. If it does return I feel that it would be better if it was uber-weak against counter attacks, but that Zerg should also have a new Air-to-Air unit that would be uber weak against attacks from the ground. It would be best to have the 2 units being balanced with each others presence, than to just balance the Guardian.