Should the Wraith Return?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Hadean, Jul 21, 2007.

?

Should the Wraith return?

1. No

50.0%
  2. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, but as a different unit with same role.

50.0%

Should the Wraith Return?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Hadean, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Epic Remy. Just epic.

Yeah Wraith will be missed for a little bit until we get into the Starcraft 2 Terran groove with our Vikings and Banshees. Death from above has never been so menacing.

2. Associate

Associate New Member

don't you people think that building separate squadrons of Vikings and Banshes for ground and air attack will cost the terrans more resources and supplies than building a cloakable all-purpose ground and air attack unit like the wraith?

3. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    No, because the viking is all-around more useful than the wraith, and you can have more around for general purposes without them quickly becoming a liability. Of course, the viking does not have cloak, which is only logical considering balance. The cloaking aspect is picked up by the banshee, which absolutely rocks the pants off the wraith in terms of assaulting ground.

The wraith was all-purpose yes, but it wasn't equally effective in all aspects, its anti-ground pew-pew was hugely lacking. The main reason that limited the wraith from having a better ground attack is that very all-purpose nature, not only did it have a good air attack, it had the superior mobility of an air unit, and on top of that had cloak. So for balance purposes, they had to chop one of its balls off.

It's better to have two separate units that are extremely useful and effective in what you get them for, than to have a single unit that is often ineffective and not useful. That's what Terran does with everything else already anyway. There is no all-purpose Terran unit that is just generally useful and effective on its own. Anything that gives you a better ground attack, is something that you should consider to be a good thing until proven otherwise.

Anti-ground is much more important than anti-air, AA can be taken care of one way or another, it isn't something that you really need to worry about IMO. But the AG aspect is hugely significant because it applies to every thing in every game. Combat units on at least the entire first half of the tech tree(which would in turn be more prevalent, because they are available earlier and you spend longer time at producing them), workers, buildings, static defense(towers), are all things effected by AG, but AA is merely situational. You don't always deal with air, and you can expect that every race will be given multiple tools of dealing with it when you do anyway.

Lichking, you are evil. * frantically logs into wife's e-mail *

4. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    Remy, her name shall remain undisclosed because that is my future wife and I will allow no meddling.

All jokes aside, her real name = unknown, her stage name is Silky Juno.

5. TerranGod

TerranGod New Member

so viking does the same damage as wraith now?

in my opinion ppl will use viking for A-A more than ground harrass
    from what ive seen, viking sucks at ground attacks

6. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    You can get them for either but use them for both. Just switch over to whichever mode the situation requires, I think that's why the viking is so sweet. It's ground form can't possibly suck more than wraith's pew-pew, so it's all good.

7. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Yes Viking > wraith due to good ground attack

8. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    TG, did the goliath suck at killing ground? No. therefore, will the viking suck at killing ground? No.

9. Space Pirate Rojo

Canada, eh?
    Goliaths are sexy M&M support.

10. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

i think they should add a new unit to actually take on wrath's role.as of now,we have a good air ATG unit,and a good air ATA unit,but not an air unit that can attack both air and ground.yes,Viking can hit both air and ground by switching modes,but that's more like a lazy solution to me,even though i like the viking quite a lot(correct me if i am wrong,and the viking's air mode DOES hit ground units,thou).what they should do is simply upgrade the Wrath,with some ATG missiles or some new ability,perhaps.that's what they did with the Zealot(new ability),and i really wonder why can't they just make the Wrath an upgrade,instead of completely replacing it with TWO units,because that way,you'd need to spend much more with air units:you can't build just,say,Banshees and BCs to make your air fleet,because you will be more vulnerable to ATA attacks.same thing with vikings

the Terran lack an all-around air unit,and the Wrath was that unit...

11. Associate

Associate New Member

blizzard claimed that the viking was an advanced replacement for the goliath, if so, then don't they think its reasonable to enable it to fire against air targets while in mech mode without switching to fighter mode?

12. Space Pirate Rojo

Canada, eh?
    Maybe they could get their ATA missiles in ground form and do something else in Air mode.

13. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

if they really are an advanced relacement for the Goliath,they should be able to hit both air and ground targets while on the ground.

14. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

although it "should" it's not good in terms of game play mechanic, having the ground form shoot air will reduce the role of the air form and eliminate the viking's weakness

15. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

so what if the viking requires more micro than the wraith, id you want a wraith play sc1, dont complain about sc2 not being exactly the same as sc1

16. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

okay now...calm down will ya ?? no one is yelling on caps "OMG TEH VKING IZ TAH SH1T!!BRING TAH WRAITH BACKZ!!!111!!!!!11111",so no need to do so.

@BnechbReaker:actually no,because,from the videos i saw,the Viking seens to be very fragile.they are not hit-absorvers,capable of taking hits from lots and lots of units.wether they had air attack in ground form,that wouldn't change the fact that they are still fragile.the Goliaths weren't uber because of being able to hit ground and air,for they weren't very resistant(125 hp,if i am not mistaken).yes,Vikings can transform,but during the transformation time they are completely defenseless to attacks,so this would negate a possible scape attempt.

17. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

my point is giving goliath a "free" air form would make it too good, so something had to be taken away. the viking could still attack both ground and air, just that in each mode it has a specific weakness, but transforming enable it to "swap" its weakness to suit the current needs, which is a fair mechanic

18. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

hum...i see your point,it's true that the at it's core,the Viking IS capable of hitting ground and air,only that it needs to transform in order to do so.my main concern about is that the transforming time may turn out to be too long,thus making the fragile Viking more vulnerable to enemy attacks than it should be.due to this,i thought about it being able to hit air and ground in one form.

but it's likely blizz will adress this before launching the game.we are still in alpha anyway...

19. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

it takes approximately 2 seconds to transform

20. Space Pirate Rojo

Canada, eh?
    I caught that the millisecond the Vikings went from Ground to Air in the Terran Video, the Siege Tanks couldn't hit them.