1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should the Wraith Return?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Hadean, Jul 21, 2007.

?

Should the Wraith return?

1. No

50.0%
  2. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, but as a different unit with same role.

50.0%

Should the Wraith Return?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Hadean, Jul 21, 2007.

1. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    I just hope the Terran get an air fighter unit other than the Viking, like the Protoss have their Phoenix. The Viking also doesn't start out as being able to transform into the air unit, I recall they said it was a researchable upgrade.

2. venado

venado New Member

blizzard is removing all classical units... Protoss only keep their zealot and probes... and maybe the reavers

3. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Not really, Venado.

Returning units for Protoss: Probe, Zealot, High Templar, Dark Templar, Observer, Reaver. Twilight Archon practically counts as an Archon from what we have so far.

Returning units for Terran: SCV, Marine, Medic, Siege Tank, Ghost, Battle Cruiser. There is more to be revealed for Terran, so that might no be all of it.

Returning units for Zerg: Zergling, Hydralisk, Mutalisk. Zerg has basically not been revealed, so we're most likely gonna see the return of more classic SC1 Zerg units than what we have so far.

4. Quanta

Quanta New Member

Wraiths were among my favorite units in SC1. Granted, their ground attack was lacking but they had good AA and cloaked wraiths could do severe damage to an enemy fleet if they didn't get a detector to the location quick enough.

If they were looking for a way to give terran a better anti ground air unit then they could have simply made to different wraiths. Like actual fighters which can have their munitions customized for specific tasks. If you need air supremacy then you'd send in fighters loaded with AA missiles. If you need to destroy targets on the ground load them up with bombs.

Allow players to choose to build a standard wraith with AG lasers and AA missiles or a wraith with AG missiles and AA lasers. It would be similar to Zerg choosing between Guardians and Devs.

5. burkid

burkid New Member

thats why there are 2 specialized air units quanta. vikings and banshees. one is loaded with missiles, and the other is loaded with bombs.

6. DontHate

DontHate New Member

cloak wraiths then run into minerals and kill all scvs with missles :O.

7. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    Well the thing is with the Viking, does it come from air unit producer or ground unit vehilce producer building? I mean it will just start out as a ground unit. They don't initially start out with being able to transfrom into the air version.

So that means if they only have the banshee and viking for a anti air fighter or whatever the only thing to make would be to make the ground vikings and then research the ability to transform into the air unit. So you would not have a initial air unit like a mutalisk or phoenix. See the point I am trying to make?

8. JudicatorPrime

JudicatorPrime New Member

Bleh, I miss the Wraith... good unit. Hopefully they'll "Transmit Coordinates" over to Blizzcon and we hear from it there.

9. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    PancakeChef, the viking is built from the factory, you have to research the air form. But it's actually not something to worry about, nor is wraith lower tech than viking air form like you seem to believe.

The factory is a pre-req for the starport. Both the wraith and viking air form fall around the same place on the tech tree, based on SC1. As a matter of fact, all early air is roughly about the same, none are at the beginning of tier 2, they all require one more building(stargate, starport, spire).

Factory --> Starport --> Control Tower --> Cloaked Wraith
    (wraith inaccessible) (wraith buildable) (cloak researchable) (ta da~)

Factory --> Factory addon-on or Starport --> Viking Air Form
    (viking buildable) (viking air form researchable) (ta da~)

By the above example viking would actually be better because even though the air form and wraith are both at the same tech depth, you could already be building vikings as soon as factory goes up. So by the same tech at which wraith was previously available, you would have more air form vikings around, because wraith production starts at starport-tech while viking production starts at factory-tech.

However, this is just a simplified example to make a point to show you why wraith isn't lower tech PancakeChef. There could still be other factors such as requirement of add-on at starport or an additional research to make viking air form better AA. None of which have been mentioned so I didn't bother with it for now, but there is still some possibility. But in any case, wraith doesn't have the advantage over viking as you thought so.

10. naduo

naduo New Member

i personally would like to see a new battleship, that way it seen more like fleet.
    of cuz i also want the wraith back too, Terran is my FaV

11. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    Well Remy, it doesn't nesscarily have to be a wraith and its not the place in the tech tree that concerns me its the fact you have build the base unit first, then have the research upgrade and then transform the unit into it instead of just having a air fighter you can just build off the line of a production building like a mutalisk or phoenix. That and it seems like the viking is more of a multi purpose unit than a basic air fighter unit but then again that could also be how they are trying to make each race more unique etc.

Just my personal preference though I would like the Terran to have a basic air fighter unit, ill say again doesn't have to be a wraith could be a whole new unit.

12. Shadowdragon

Shadowdragon New Member

Never used wraiths. Vultures made better scouts, and I would much rather spend the money on getting science vessels (something I used quite a bit).

13. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    PancakeChef, it is still pretty much the same since the air form upgrade would be universal and you don't have to do it for each individual viking. Where you would need to take time to build the starport, you would just research the air form instead. And since you can amass vikings before you have the air form research completely, it should still allow you to have more air at around the same timing when a wraith would be available.

And the multi-purpose aspect of vikings is not really a drawback as you can go back to ground form to avoid turrets and spores. Where you would have relied on wraith for tactical air strikes hitting ground from air, you would just use banshee instead. And banshee is presumably much better at it than wraith. Although it's not certain, there's really no way that splash damage missile volleys will be weaker than wraith's measly 8-damage toy gun.

14. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    *edit* Nm. You said banshee.

And bro. Nothing gets the blood going better when you have a hot-key'ed group of 12 wraiths cloaked and you use it for wiping out that drop that was supposed to cripple your economy. Or wiping out those carriers moving in to reinforce a battle. Theres just something so enjoyable and sinister about being able to assault ambush giggle and retreat. And I dont care if the viking handles AA or if the Banshee handles AG and can cloak.

I WANT SOMETHING THAT CAN CLOAK AND RAPE AIR! RAAAAH!!

15. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I can't really argue against the sheer sweetness of wraith's cloaked AA, just can't do it. But I'm still looking at the big picture and see a stronger Terran than before. A lot of issues have been address, especially that of valk's inadequacy.

Wraith will be missed, but really don't think cloaked AA is gonna happen for Terran in SC2, considering how nice everything else is so far.

16. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    Meh. I just cant believe they would leave behind the symbolic unit of Starcraft man. Like someone before me already said, they used it for the bloody desktop icon man! Thats literally iconic!

17. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Now that, I am glad about. It better be a Zerg unit as the icon this time.

18. burkid

burkid New Member

im gonna laugh when the icon ends up being a soul hunter. haha.

19. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    Well now, with Blizzcon underway two new air units came up on the tech tree, one being the Predator anti-air fighter.

So the speculation that the viking will be replacing as terrans anti air fighter seems to be have blown out of the water with this new information. Personally I am very glad to see this and not too surprised either since as I said the Viking seemed more like a multi purpose unit. I'm very glad though to see the terran have a fighter similar to the Phoenix and Mutalisk the catch though is it can't attack ground right but that is what banshess are for. The starports are also suppose to be able to upgrade and be able to produce air units WHILE lifted off.

20. burkid

burkid New Member

banshees cloak isnt personal cloak, like the wraiths, its a cloaking field that works on nearby units too. still costs energy though.