1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should the Wraith Return?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Hadean, Jul 21, 2007.

?

Should the Wraith return?

1. No

50.0%
  2. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, but as a different unit with same role.

50.0%

Should the Wraith Return?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Hadean, Jul 21, 2007.

1. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

thats funny. no way in the world i can imagine that thing as a scout. looks really terran to me.
    first time i saw it, my first impressions is that its the new wraith. and the moment i saw the banshee picture i quickly knew that the one in the trailer is a banshee without watching it again. ^^

2. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Wraiths were so useless for their cost. They couldn't deal with corsairs and they did virtually no damage vs ground units. Mutalisks and Scourge were far better. Terrans need a better anti air unit then the valkryie and a better ground attacker then the Wraith.. hence they made the Banshee and the Viking. I think the BC is taking over as ground + air attacker..
    Dropships seem alot weaker now.. Only able to carry 4 units? Its more realistic for their size but cmon.. this game has never been all about realism. Its been about balance, fun, and diversity.

3. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    Mediocre? Maybe at anti-ground, but the Wraith excelled in taking out air. Especially in co-ordinated cloaked packs. That was the one terran thing you had to fear in the air next to En masse BCs. One minute you're calmly making a drop, next minute "Hm. Thats funny the ground-art seems to be phasing out - Oh shit."

*edit* Couldn't deal with corsairs? Nothing could deal with corsairs cept for other corsairs and sometimes BCs. And if they were cloaked (which is what gives it such a helping of power) it could rape virtually any air unit and was the best for anti-air harassment, only beaten by 6 valks taking out your entire Zerg Supply line.

4. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

I liked Wraiths for its surprise attacks. They were pretty versatile. Let's see how the Banshee holds up...

5. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    Pft....with Viking and Banshee, Wraith can go into the scrapheap for all I care. I never liked Wraiths, Goliaths and Valks were all i needed for anti air.

6. Exvasion

Exvasion New Member

The wraith was only good at taking out air when it was cloaked though, that's the point, if it was detected or became uncloaked it got raped fast against basically any air unit. Surprise attacks are great and all but I want an air unit that can hold its own in aerial combat without being cloaked.

7. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    How do these Banshees fly in space without thrusters? You can't move with rotors if there's no air....

8. burkid

burkid New Member

the same way mutalisks move in space by flapping their wings, and the same way guardians move... in general.

9. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    It's pretty clear that the banshee is the wraith replacement.  You can secretly call it wraith while everyone else call it banshee if you want.

I don't know why you would complain when banshee presumably has greater capabilities vs ground AND get to keep stealth.  Not to mention the coexistence of wraith AA, goliath charan booster, and valks was a design flaw.  They have eliminated overlapping responsibilities, encouraged unit mixing, and upgraded individual units.

Any serious Terran player really shouldn't complain, nor would they.  If you can't see that they've just upgraded everything for you, I don't think you really understood Terran.  You now have a better goliath, a better valkyrie, and yes even a better wraith.

If you still don't understand, read here http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/index.php?topic=1222.msg33850#msg33850

10. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    I'm actually happy with the new Terran Air and I'm sure the Vikings in their ship form will be excellent AA.

I will miss Wraiths a tad though. Goliaths meh.

11. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    My only concern is that the Viking in air will just be another Valk.

And I suppose you're right Remy. I read the other post as well, I suppose I romanticize them too much due to the cinematics and how effective they were for SC1 Terrans. I suppose a replacement to help beef up terrans is nice it's just. Why couldn't they just beef up the coolest looking air unit in SC1?

*edit* And as for redundancy. I didnt consider it as such. i felt that each of the AA units you could choose from had their own take on anti-air use. Therefore depending on the player that you were you could adapt a unit into your AA role. Throwing them all into one IMO sorta is annoying. Because theres no strategic thinking about what to build it's just: "I better build some AA! What to choose - Oh wait. I only have one choice."

*another edit* The wraiths would get raped by any air unit? Are you on crack? Sure. One on one with any air unit it'll more than likely lose, but in packs, given it's damage type, it's damage amount and it's rate of fire it was the deadliest thing in a pack short of sairs. Bro, a marine by itself was useless too, but 24 marines vs 18 hydras, guess who won? (I'll slap you in the teeth if you say Hydras)

12. Exvasion

Exvasion New Member

Well I don't want to get slapped in the teeth so I'll concede, the wraith was indeed effective aa in a group. I do want a different air unit though.

Also, I seriously doubt that either air unit will be anything like the valkyrie. At least that is my hope, I don't want the same units from Starcraft 1 just with different names.

13. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    How bout the same units with the same names? :D

I'm not saying it's mechanic's will be similar to the valk, I'm saying it'd be about as effective in the air as a valk (which IMHO was slim to none)

14. LJYLJ

LJYLJ New Member

Why dont people realise that viking as anti-air and banshee as air - ground it to easy to deal with.
    one of the big things about wraiths was the element of surprise (and btw, wraiths is the best way to deal with devourers) that the first second they came as a flying mirror and ruined ur whole airfleet, then they started raping ur xpos...
    so in my opinion wraiths is an awesome unit, (im winning alot on icCup and BwCleague with wraith hit and run tactics, and they work wonders for containing ppl in the start)

15. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Actually devourer would be the counter to wraith, both in game design and practice. Wraith can't even cloak once it gets devourer's acid spore on it, basically always. But it's not like you'll have much success abusing wraith's cloak against Zerg anyway.

16. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    I am just worried that the new Terran air will be expensive. If nothing else, the Wraith was good because it was cheap for something that could scare your enemy into adopting entirely different strategies.

17. Wraiths were ugly units and weak too im glad its not one of the units thats coming back, as only a certain number of old units will return the wraith is the most expendable of all the units.
    hydras arent on the same playing field as marines because the hydralisks damage type is weak to marines. and a "pack" wraiths will be beaten by a group of air units of any type if both "packs" are equal price or pop.

18. LJYLJ

LJYLJ New Member

mix a bunch of devourer with any airunit of ur choice (from zerg side) then engage them into an army of wraiths + some vessel...devourers will get raped like a 11yo withe girl in the ghetto

19. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    You are seriously mistaken if you think wraith is a better AA option than the devourer.

20. DontHate

DontHate New Member

dude... what you're saying is so random. Basicly ur saying mix a bunch of zerglings and hydras vs some zealots + some bc's.... zerglings will get owned.

of course the devs will get owned if there is a science vessel with them.