1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should the terran have a unit that can bypass the protoss shield?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by longlivefenix, Oct 7, 2007.

?

Should the terran OR zerg have a unit that can bypass the protoss shield?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Should the terran have a unit that can bypass the protoss shield?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by longlivefenix, Oct 7, 2007.

1. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I like your creavtiveity Overling but i would wager that the vulture was more made to hover to fit its description and even if was meant to counter the spider mines it only makes sense that any given unit could be immune to its own trap. (and i mean immune in a storyline sense not a mechanic sense)

Reaker passive ou not it is an effect that is only effective against the Protoss.

2. Overling

Overling New Member

...just like shield piercing! \o/

@ Lord Kerwyn: But it doesn't solve the Archon. Archons hovering doesn't help them against their own trap, it's only against terrans! :good:

3. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

ok i get the hover thing now,

the difference between spell and passive ability is if a spell can only work against certain races then in certain match ups there's no use for it at all. but a passive ability is like a bonus, without it the predator still has value against all 3 races

4. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    AH another good point but the Archon has a very short range attack but can also attack air units so it make sense that it has some limited ability to fly. Also i would wager blizzard had intended to have more things that only hovering units could get around but removed them for balance/storyline reasons. Either way we are talking about a counter to a specific ability not an ability that can breach one of the main features of every unit/building in the protoss race.

EDIT: Reaker if the second part of your post was directed at me, whether its passive or active it is still an ability that can only be used against one race.

5. Overling

Overling New Member

Yes, I agree. However, giving it to the Predator alone would not do it, as Predators in attack mode only hit air! And air units even have less shield than HP, making it a bonus to be exploited but not such a big deal. It could perhaps create a new use for the Predator atk-mode versus Protoss air, since Interceptor-mode may not stop Warp Rays or interceptors anyway (though I rather wait before discussing this one also, since we know nearly nothing about Interceptor-mode).

6. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Every Protoss unit with the exception of the archon has more HP than shields so i really dont see why thats a big argument. Also if you where to do this you have to lower the predators damage to compensate making it a weaker unit all around and only better against the Protoss. Either way whether i made a point with my original post or not whatever unit you give this to would become a weaker unit in general and only a stronger unit against the Protoss. Also what would be the Protoss counter to this unit?

7. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

Protoss shields are mentally projected, so the best candidates for this kind of mechanism would either be Ghosts - who with their own mental powers could presumably perhaps interfere with Protoss psionics - or Science Vessels - who with their advanced research could negate Protoss shielding...

Science Vessels are gone, but Nomads have the EMP, so I'm not sure why you'd ask for this ability really. Normal terrans don't have any mental powers - and it's unlikely that interfering with Protoss psionics (which are quite advanced) is easy enough that a mass produced device could be attached to some kind of unit.

As a Ghost ability, temporarily disabling shields and/or energy might be an interesting ability... but the Ghost has plenty of abilities already... so I'm not really sure if there's anything to gain by giving the Terrans TWO counters to Protoss shielding. I'd rather see the Zerg gain one first.

8. DontHate

DontHate New Member

this does kind of sound like a neat idea, but i agree that it should also have an effect on zerg units as well... maybe from the time it's shooting the enemy unit it's life regeneration stops? I'm not sure how predators can do this but maybe some kind of lazer that messes up the zerg or something, i dont know.

9. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

Now there's an idea!

A Terran unit that prevents the other races regens... it could slow energy gain too, so it's still functional against other Terrans too. Wouldn't be too overpowered since regens are rather slow.

I like that a LOT better than bypassing shields completely.

10. Quanta

Quanta New Member

Speaking of EMP, I think that ability should also counter defense matrix. It makes sense to me. Defense matrix is basically a shield for Terran and it is made by the nomad so I think it would be a good idea if it could counter its own ability.

As far as the main topic of Terran getting a unit that could pierce shields, no.

11. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

sorry im made a typo taht i realized after :p
    zerg AND terran my bad

12. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

we already have the Nomad with the EMP shockwave,Terrans don't need another way of bypassing Protoss shields...

13. Flesh

Flesh New Member

Agreed, Terrans do not need anymore anti-shield abilities, EMP is more than enough. Why should the terran have another unit that is so effective against the protoss? I dont see any point, balance wise.
    And like LordKerwyn said, every ability in the game is designed to be used against at least two races, with the exception of the hover ability but I think no one wants another ability as cheap as that. On a side note another exception would be the queens infest ability which, because it cannot be used against protoss and other zerg, is not very useful and is generally underpowered, which only proves the point that units abilities should be kept as versatile as possible.

14. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

maybe the zerg should get one?

15. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

my bad, i forgot about emp :p
    i think the zerg should have one cuz they have the colossus and the mothership's planet cracker and the zealots OWN massy units

16. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    hell no there shouldn't be any unit besides nomad which has no attack to bring down or bypass the protoss sheild.Why? well because Terrans don't know anything more advance than overloading their sheilds. Thats all the EMP does. It just overloads it and shuts it down.