1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SHOULD blizzard impliment veterancy for terrans?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Meloku, Aug 14, 2007.

?

Should blizzard impliment some sort of veterancy system for the terrans?

1. Yes, and the upgrades should be deciscive.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but the upgrades should be minute, similar to a weapon or armor upgrade one can research.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, this does not fit the feel of starcraft.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

SHOULD blizzard impliment veterancy for terrans?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Meloku, Aug 14, 2007.

1. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Ok Joneagle i can see your point about SC1 and how this would affect it. BUT this is a new game not a modified SC1. Very few people know how big micro truly is going to be in SC2 or even what early game will be like. All most people know is how SC1 played (besides those who went to blizzcon but even then there was only 2 racea and nothing is final...) Adding something like veterancy for the terrans doesnt mean it make the terrans overpowered it would just give them a new mechanic and allow blizzard to add a new mechanic to the other 2 races (hopefully they would all be very different) that would a similar buff in power to those to races. Amd even if blizzard only gave the terran race a new mechanic there is still a TON of balancing to be done and any new mechanic will be balanced along with every other new ability/unit/mechanic.

Now im gonna say this again blizzard is making Starcarft 2 and they have already added new mechanics that affect micro vs. macro in how much they are needed if they added veterancy this would just be another mechanic like those.

P.S. i didnt mention any numbers because (like a few people have said) mechanics dont make things under/overpowered it is the numbers that govern those mechanics.

2. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I'm not saying it was. I'm just saying in terms of SC1 this is not a good idea. Plus everyone has agreed that it doesn't fit the "feel" of Starcraft.

I'm not trying to "shoot" the idea down. I'm just explaining that it will change the game mechanics unnecessarily to be even more in favor of the "mouse clickers." Lol

But thanks for bringing a human response to my points :D

3. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

some people does not equal everyone, and wtf is the "feel" of starcraft?

i feel you are stuck in a tiny insignificant corner of starcraft1 and can't get out to think about the bigger picture.

ok somehow your dragoon killed another dragoon sustaining little or no damage, nice! you have good micro skillz, but can you do it again? ok you've killed another one, keep going? whoa! your micro skillz is so good that you've managed to kill 5 dragoons with a single dragoon early in the game. you are now going to earn the promotion that's going to completely f**k up the enemy!

before you celebrate, i have news for you... the game is already over, +1 or even + 100 damage on your 5 kills uber dragoon is not going to change anything, you've already won.

4. headstock

headstock New Member

im not really into this idea, i reckon it could work but i donknow. just doesnt seem needed, but thats just my opinion.

but,.. ya know those missions where your on the interior of a building? you start with a few marines or whatever and ya run around opening doors, shootin missle turrets that pop outa the ground, you know what im talkin about. yeah well maybe this system could be used for those kind of missions. make em that little bit more interesting and fun, and would make micro skills more valuable. but if it was used in this way i reckon it should apply to all teams.

or...

somethin purely for the campaigns maybe?

*EDIT yeah i didnt vote, because my idea doesnt seem to really fit the options.

5. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

i tottaly agree with headstock

6. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    I don't like these 'ranking systems' SC 2 is not an advanture game where u can level up or something..

7. Drafter

Drafter New Member

Well,Dustin IS from C&C...ex...
    Yeah don't like either.

8. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

I actually like that, haha. No power ups, no increase damage or life, just a veterency level up for the unit title. It would make you favor your longer lasting marines more, sort of a bond with your units.

9. pro

pro New Member

then theyd be turning it into wc3

10. Sagathox

Sagathox New Member

there is one option missing in the poll, yes and the changes should be only asthetic, i would love to see one lucky zealot with some cool aura or something like that, or this archon that has sparks around him, or one carrier with neon lights lol, i dont know, obviously not this crappy ideas, but some cool "image-only" upgrades, id like to have some special units, once in a while, not to make them powerfull, just protagonic, ...naaaaaah actually i think that i will not have time to think about poor ol´ sammy (mi marine wich killed 10 zerglings) in the heat of a battle, just die bitch, and before that kill something!, other than that i dont mind if they implement it, just dont mess up the gameplay i dont want to see lots of players with a small group trying to survive small encounters just to power up their squad...

11. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    The thread is veterancy for TERRANS.

Please don't open this can of worms back up.

12. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

Good idea, but most of the fans in this forum don't agree. I agree. I also posted this idea in the Starcraft general discussion. I believe I will post again in the suggestion thread

not sure ....

13. privateparts

privateparts New Member

This could work for the Terrans. Instead of buying upgrades, each individual unit is 'upgraded' by kills. Which would put even more emphasis on medic and SCV micro. But they should only be upgraded 3 times, just like Protoss and Zerg.

14. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    That could work but you would have to focus more on keeping your units alive. No more cannon fodder marines

15. WonderBoy

WonderBoy New Member

NO! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! sorry to be so blunt, but seriously, this is completely anti-StarCraft and does not belong at ALL! Perhaps just a title after, say, 25 kills or so, but there should be no bonus rewards or anything.

Transversely, this would be a cool aspect make leveling up in RPGs more interesting, perhaps this could work as a feature in UMS games, but should NOT be part of regular play.

16. BloodHawk

BloodHawk Member

CT, USA
    I couldn't agree more. CoH is big on retreating units(every infa unit has a retreat command that sends it straight back to your HQ with a deffense+speed bonus), restocking them (units in CoH consist of multiple men which can be replaced when near HQs), then sending them into the frey again. The way resources work in CoH makes great sense to retreat your vets/restock/fight another day. You do not have near as many unit producing buildings as you would in SC; units cost a lot in relation to the speed resources are gathered. In short, vets are powerful/precious units that must be saved.

In SC who cares if a bunch of rines/tanks/goliths/whatever die? You should already be pumping more from your multiple barracks/factories the second shit goes down. If you dont have the cash to do so; then you lost the game about 5-10 minutes ago when you failed to establish an economy greater than or equal to your foe.
    You want fiercer/tougher marines? Research stim packs and shields or weapons and armor. Don't go hunting zerglings like they're creeps and your pack of units is a war3 (The one and only mediocre; I'm being generous, Blizz game ever) hero.
    Or on the flip side of vets being too useful; think about a 4+ player game. You defeat one oponent through wise unit selections and cunning stratagy. Then you defeat everyone else with much greater ease simply because you didn't turtle. FFAs will become Terran stomp games to keep them from amassing too many vets in their first few battles.

Veterancy is a somewhat interesting dynamic I admit. I'm also all for SC2 and not SC with better graphics and a few new expansion units. However, this is the worst gameplay idea I have heard. If it gets implemented; I will not be getting SC2 on release, I may not get it the same month, I might not get the game at all.

17. The Watcher

The Watcher Guest

Its both a copy of the command and conquer series and if they were somehow implemented into the game, it should be purely the look of the unit that it upgrades, like an improved kill counter that does not end at 255.

18. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Hi, Watcher, welcome to the forums.

But I must impress upon you my opinion that stating that anything is any of the following variations of these words is unacceptable and invalid in an argument:

Ripoff
    Copy
    Just Like ______
    Reminds me of
    Looks like
    Pretty much is
    Is the same as
    Is stolen from

No game is a pure ripoff/copy/steal from another game. It is simply inspiration.

Now, back to the topic at hand. Veterancy is a bad idea as I have posted earlier on this thread. :p

Balance, FTW!

19. The Watcher

The Watcher Guest

I see your point there Jone, that as long as someone makes their own variation it isn't copying still, but it is highly reminiscent.

Ty for the welcome and I think I spoke a bit to heatedly about the issue.

20. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

Like I said somewhere before. Ranking System sounds great IF there are no unit rewards. A unit gaining a title will start a bond toward the player and some units. If i had a lucky marine who's a really high ranks, I would try my best to keep him alive. The bond factor is great, the unit power up is not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.