1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shields

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Fenix, Jun 21, 2007.

Shields

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Fenix, Jun 21, 2007.

1. coalescence

coalescence New Member

A while? Those Immortals got ass whooped in no time.

2. paragon

paragon Guest

Or you just use air to take out the tanks and reapers. If reapers can hit air i'm sure they aren't that good against it. And tanks can't hit air. Your loses - none.
    Or use phase prisms to drop zealots right on top of the tanks so they have to un-siege to attack you.

The problem with immortals is that their only function is much easier served by other unit combinations.

3. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

but there were heaps of reapers, and still quite a few died from the immortals.
    im sure ive posted this message before....

4. capthavic

capthavic New Member

Yes a while. Even with a dozen or more reapers it still took 10-12 seconds to take down all of those immortals. And in a normal battle you would have other units with them (ex zealots) that can take those reapers out in half that time.

To Paragon: And if they have anti air units or missle turrets too? You might be able to damage thier tanks but not destroy before they get blown out of the sky. Same for phase prisms. Even if you could get one to survive long enough to get close enough and deploy, the reapers and maybe even tanks (depending on number and how spaced out they are) would slaughter your units before they phased in or could get more than 1-2 attacks in if its a normal drop.

Really this is a pointless arugment because it's all theory and we don't know enough about the other two races to properly discuss tactics.

5. coalescence

coalescence New Member

So? Probably cheapo infantry with low hp (cheap = you can make alot, but probably wouldnt have to tell you) and the Immortal has huge hp+shield and is probably quite expensive.
    Also, about a quarter of the reapers got raped? Quarter of the Immortals got killed by the siege tanks.

6. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

it didnt look like an absolute counter imo.....
    infact when i first saw that bit, what went through my mind at that spot was:
    "the hell? they're saying these infantry are absolutely superb at countering the likes of the immortal but there are so many....and they're still getting slightly pwned....by weakened immortals....so much for a convincing example....."

7. paragon

paragon Guest

Phase prisms also act as regular dropships and carry units that are instantly deployed.
    Add in some dark templar if they dont have a detector.
    Add in reavers to deal some heavy splash damage.

8. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

We are seeing some more unusual Protoss shield types in SCII. In SC original, all shield types are IDENTICAL. Whereas we are seeing the Immortals with high intensity shields, and the Tempests with ground defense only shields (making it vulnerable to all air attacks). I think that the balancing of each unit type can be more fine tuned this way, but its also concerning that certain units might be excessively weaker than the units that counter them. (I personally liked Terran balance the most, as different specialized units were significantly, but not radically overpowering over the units they counter.

9. capthavic

capthavic New Member

I know that, that is why I said "if its a normal drop". And neither of those units are any good if they get shot down before they can unload.

This is all just what if's and assumptions. Blizzard is one of (if not) the best at balancing sides. They would't put something in there if it wasn't useful. Everything is subject to change so just relax and have some faith.

10. paragon

paragon Guest

use the high templar to put those barriers around them.

11. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

you fools and your stupid shields!
    only real men/protoss would only need muscles! and strong bones!

12. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

You could use the new high templar barriers to trap melee units in an area, and then Stalker Teleport right next to the barrier to shoot them from safety. Alot of micro but i could see something like this being deadly.

13. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

The Terran War Hookers say; "Drink milk, it builds strong bones, powerful Kahala, and enhances warpable virility!"

14. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Oh god return of the Terran Hookers.

15. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

lolololololololololololololol

16. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    geez not again

I guess terran hooker ftw!

17. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

i dont know why some of you keep bitching about the new sheilds, how can adding a direct counter to siege tanks on top of normal sheilds be a bad thing for the protoss?
    also everyone that says tempest cannot attack air has no idea what they are talking about, becuase blizzard never said that they cannot attack air, they just said that their sheild does not activate against air. defence and offence are completely different.
    Whats with all the dodgy what if situations, half the stuff that has been mentioned could be said for half the units in sc1.

18. paragon

paragon Guest

Well most of my complaints are directed towards the tempests complete lack of an anti-air shield as they get raped by air.

19. for-glory

for-glory New Member

i think having the rock paper style of counters in terms of sheilds doesnt turn starcraft into warcraft nor does it somehow not make sense because logically it wouldnt work that way. I highly doubt with the amount of polish blizzard puts into their games that it will effect the awesomeness that is starcraft. so I welcome the new additions (the shields) to the specific 'toss units

20. paragon

paragon Guest

I just don't see myself getting tempests. But, maybe i'm wrong and they are good support units for something.