1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shields

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Fenix, Jun 21, 2007.

Shields

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Fenix, Jun 21, 2007.

1. LoserInLosing

LoserInLosing New Member

Most likely theres TWO shields, the shield in sc1 *main base shield* and the special shield *reduces damage from siege or extreme high damage units*. So tempests have their own shield (for example, 150 shield 150 hp) and a special shield ruducing, say like 50percent of all ground attacks.

2. paragon

paragon Guest

Not for tempests. When the Battlecruisers attacked them no shield activated. One was zapped by a Yamato in one hit and the other was destroyed by 6 or 7 Battlecruiser hits.

3. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    Dude...i could not understand anything you just said, learn to spell and use proper grammar :powerdown:

4. Malicus

Malicus New Member

I am willing to bet that there are different types of damage in SC2, much like in the original SC and in WC3. Light damage, medium damage, heavy damage, siege damage, spell damage. Most likely the Immortal Shields only activate when struck with a weapon that uses Siege or Heavy damage type hits, prolly has nothing to do with the actual damage done by the unit. This is all speculation of course, but makes the most sense to me.

If you watch the animations for the Immortals as well, they are capable of aiming their turrets directly upwards, giving belief that they are indeed capable of firing at air units. Wouldnt make any sense if they couldent.

5. MrFrancko

MrFrancko New Member

Having separate types of damage would make sense. Don't see why not.

6. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

hey please be understandable. i started like that too, well im not saying i have improved.
    anyway some guys here are not good in english (like me) and we are doing our best just to fit in. obviously we're not americans, british etc. and we don't study english that much so please do understand. peace thanks.

marines dont shoot upwards (point their guns up) when firing at air units. im not sure, but as seen in the demo, they are not aiming at the sky when shooting air units. now that sucks. while all other units, you can obviously see that they are shooting up or down (laser animations). am i right?

the shield type of protoss are for countering purposes so there is no need to get all shield type to a certain type of unit maybe because protoss will have a hard time creating one and will waste more energy (in real life protoss universe)

7. paragon

paragon Guest

Wouldn't be that hard to make another animation for attacking air units for marines then just play that animation when the target is an air unit. Don't know why they wouldn't do it.

8. SirBaron

SirBaron New Member

I certainly hope they stop the specialized shields with the Immortal and Tempest cause if every unit had a special shield to counter one specific unit that would just require way too much need for micro.

9. paragon

paragon Guest

Or rather it would require that you get the specific counters for each unit and then if your opponent changes units, yours becomes pretty useless because it can only counter that one unit.

10. capthavic

capthavic New Member

Meh, the way I see it SC is just as much fantasy as say Warcraft or any game that isn't trying to be hyper realistic. It's fine for them to use their artistic license to do things that may not be realistic. The problem with making any game (especially a sequel to a huge game like SC) is that there is no way to please everyone and meet their high expectations.

As long as SC2 looks and plays great I'm not going to nitpick. I'm just glad it's coming out.

11. SirBaron

SirBaron New Member

Um that's what i meant, i just used the wrong words. Thanks. :p

12. capthavic

capthavic New Member

Those specialty shields don't make them invincible againt specific attacks it just reduces the damage taken from them. And you should always have a balanced attack force anyway.

13. paragon

paragon Guest

Where some of your units may or may not suddenly become mostly useless/easy to destroy.

14. capthavic

capthavic New Member

Ok can you give an example?

15. paragon

paragon Guest

you have tempests and they have air --> tempest is fucked
    you have immortals and they have no siege tanks/heavy hitting units --> super shield is useless, immortal is fucked

16. capthavic

capthavic New Member

Why would you only have tempest? Solution: Have some phoenix with them.
    Why would you have only immortals? Solution: Have some zealots, etc. with them.

Only a total noob uses groups of just one unit type.

17. paragon

paragon Guest

You clearly are not paying attention to what I wrote.

SOME
    SOME
    SOME
    If you have tempests and they have air, your tempests will get fucked. Focus fire tempests = no more tempests.
    If they have pretty much any unit except the heavy damage ones, your immortals are weak and easily destroyed. The immortals are good for one thing and their usefulness goes to zero when your enemy mixes their heavy damage units with other units. Which basically everyone does anyways.

18. capthavic

capthavic New Member

And if you have air with the tempest they can destroy the enemy air (ex phoenix overload) before they do too much damage.

And while it's unknown how useful they may be otherwise, Immortals are great if the enemy is dug in with seige tanks for example. They may be lost in the process but the immortals will be able to take out most (if not all) of them and make an opening for the main attack force.

Maybe you think these new units are stupid but we don't know the whole picture let alone played it yet. Who knows you might actually like them :D

Everything has it's strengths and it's weaknesses. It's how you manage them that matters.

19. paragon

paragon Guest

What if the dug in tanks are surrounded by reapers? The reapers will rip apart the immortals before the tanks can be destroyed.

As for tempests, lure away the phoenixes or get them to overload and run away then come back for the tempests or both. Air slaughters tempests because of their specialized shield.

20. capthavic

capthavic New Member

You saw how fast those immortals took out the siega tanks and how it still took all those reapers a while to wear down their normal shields. Besides just have some zealots charge in and keep the reapers busy while the immortals focus on the tanks.

And thats where tactics come in. You keep the phoenix close and stagger overloads so that not all of them are offline at the same time. Simple.

"Everything in Starcraft is about choices you make as a player. It's not about making the one right unit or the one right structure." Dustin Browder, Lead Designer