1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sensor Tower: is it worth to build?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by mr_eraserhead, Mar 30, 2010.

Sensor Tower: is it worth to build?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by mr_eraserhead, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Korith

Korith New Member

Hemet, Californira
    I think its a very useful tool. Being a P player I like to do a DT harass with a Prism and if a Terran player gets this on Certain maps there really isn't a safe way to get my Prism around.. So it makes me second think if I will be able to kill enough workers to compensate for the DTs cost.

2. alung2k3

alung2k3 New Member

Barry, South Wales
    It's main use is the ability to see attacks or pushes before they happen.

Perfect example being the drop-ship tactic on your mineral line. It gives you time to react. Also it stops alot of cheese tactics such as building a pylon just outside your base and warping in troops.

3. ArAkNA

ArAkNA New Member

Currently I don't see much use in them
    But if they'd make it a detector (not across the whole area, but more like a turret) I'd consider it

4. StarcraftGod

StarcraftGod New Member

you can set it as a trap. alot of noobs and others will roam around the map trying to find them and will send a big group just to destroy the radars. then you can counter or go when they left their base. its pretty fun

5. JDarque

JDarque New Member

I will normally build them in a line down the middle of the map, especially in 2v2s, and keep units nearby to respond to enemy activity quickly.

havign notification of 2/3s of the map is pretty nice and useful. once you see a large force, comsat it to get more intel on the composition, and counter accordingly.

6. Amberlamps

Amberlamps New Member

I love it. It's a cheap unit, but it helps prevent stuff like reaper rushes or banshee rushes early in the game.

Plus it has a huge range, so why not build one or even get one in a weird place where your opponent doesn't expect it?

7. gwingetinkoq

gwingetinkoq New Member

good thinking to use it as a diversion , never thought of that lol

8. Suzina

Suzina New Member

California
    I think if you watch your mini-map a lot, it's great. If you don't watch your minimap, it's worthless. For people who watch their minimap a lot, it really warns them of things like drops, nydus worms, and void rays with enough time to run your units over to take care of it. Just build it in your base near a turret and it'll really give you an early warning of air stuff.

9. kingsky123

kingsky123 New Member

yea the sensor tower really helps a ton for nydus worms. since they have a weird scream whenever its casted and you immediatly see this huge exclaimation mark on the minimap =P

10. rifT_Theory

rifT_Theory New Member

Singapore
    5 words : -

Just Build The Sensor Tower!!!

There is absolutely no reason why not to build it. Especially in team games.

11. Mame

Mame Guest

I almost always build a sensor tower in my base and near expansions that my enemy is aware of.

Sometimes I'll send an SCV out to build a few to give me an even better idea of whats going on in the map; I'm just starting out (silver league) so my scouting isn't the best and I feel like these can offset that weakness a little (I still scan to see his production buildings, etc). I mean, even if your opponent destroys one - especially if he sends a large force to do so - knowing where his army is and being able to defend or counterattack accordingly could win you the game imo.

Although I have encountered a couple players who use a small force of Banshees or something similar to destroy every one they can, when they do that it's kind of annoying and feels like a waste... Of course you could always invest in a small defense force but then against a player determined to destroy them it's probably better at the point to stop making them outside of your base defenses.

Although I could be wrong idk.

12. steve420

steve420 New Member

another idea is do use it as a trap, build one at a possible expansion and gather your force there and when they come to attack have a large force waiting and kill them and then push the attack to them.

13. generalnate

generalnate New Member

Since a lot of Terran turtle and bunker themselves in, I think the tower serves a good purpose for them to see attacks just outside their range

14. Eliam

Eliam New Member

I don't usually build them, but in a game I played yesterday it allowed me to see where a huge MMM ball was waiting and I landed a nuke over his entire army. I eventually lost, but it was fun to see so many marines and marauders burn,

15. Rico de Sica

Rico de Sica Guest

Without sensor tower, your enemy can sneak a bunch of units behind your base.

The sensor field giveaway is not a big deal if you build it in your main base, since they know where your are anyways.

16. TeeBee

TeeBee New Member

UK
    I don't really play Terran, but I know a few Terrans that only ever really use it to detect potential drops in their base.

17. aem1

aem1 New Member

Cali
    great way to force an opponent to enter "the other way"

18. adrian_zombo

adrian_zombo New Member

Ontario
    I played a 2v2 with another Terran, and we threw up one sensor tower each to cover our half of the map. Drops were useless against us, which was an awesome feeling.

19. Inquisitio

Inquisitio New Member

I almost always build sensor towers. It helps me planning the attack and observing enemy moves. It's good to have such a tower because You know where from enemy strikes.I build it after about 5 minutes of match - because if I'll build it earilier enemy can see my position too early (ofc , I build sensor towers if i know where my enemy is and He knows where i am).In my opinion it's good that enemy see the sensor tower rang - otherwise it would be too powerfull scout (?) building :)

20. Carnuss

Carnuss New Member

You could classify it as a form of Scouting, and Scouting is one of thee Most Important things to do. One of my Practice Buddies is a Gold Player and he mentioned how I really need to Scout more. I used to mainly use the Orbital Command for Mules, now I mainly use it/them for Scans (I know Scanning isn't the only form of Scouting) and it is Invaluable because if you know they're Teching up, you can Rush, if they're Preparing for a Rush, you know to set up Defenses, if you see them Build Air, you know to set up Missile Turrets at your Mineral Line, if you see them building a Sneaky Expansion, you can Take it out. Scouting can mean the Difference between Winning and Losing. Sensor Towers can Alert you to Sieges and give you an Early Warning to Attacks (especially Backdoor ones), it can also make the enemy Rethink about doing either because they'll see the Sensor Tower Zones. Most of the times Sensor Towers arn't Vital But in Long Games when Both of you Control nearly Half of the Map each it is Crucial to Setup Sensor Towers so that you can React to another Expansion or Enemy Force Movements. :radar:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010