1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCV in sc2 just looks crap

Discussion in 'Terran' started by TerranGod, Oct 16, 2007.

SCV in sc2 just looks crap

Discussion in 'Terran' started by TerranGod, Oct 16, 2007.

1. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I was just pointing out that you said it had 'no reason' but this had been said before and the reason for them was given. I'm not trying to mess with you. I am merely pointing out that this has been brought up and clarified before.
    I also found it odd when Flesh said... "I don't care wtf they're used for". To me, that's like saying that I don't care that the Marine needs a helmet, I want to be able to see it's face because it will look cooler. Also, a drill and clamp could easily be used in building construction. When getting a large piece of metal, the SCV would be able to drill a hole right through it. Then it could drill a hole in the side of a girder, beam or stud, then line up the holes, and screw in a screw or bolt or whatever with it's clamp hand, which it could use as a spanner or wrench or similar. This is a very common way of building things at the moment, so it is entirely possible that the SCV will do it as well. It's called a 'bolted joint', if I am not mistaken.

2. Flesh

Flesh New Member

What I meant by that bit rash statement was that I don't care what are those two vents supposed to be used for because they look bad, as does the rest of the deign. The point is that it should be changed because it looks stupid regardless of the fact it may actually have some kind of purpose. Unlike the marine helmet which, at the same time, looks cool and has a functional purpose as a part of marine equipment.
    Get the point? Every feature added into that SCV design is there primary (not only) to make the unit look better. Those exhaust vents are not making the SCV look better.

And that drill example is great. They might as well give him a spade and giant screwdriver, Im sure you would find some kind of bizzare method of using them to construct (high tech) buildings. Drill a hole inside of a grider and stick a giant bolt in it lol good one. Why don't you just accept the fact that this drill is a stupid and badly thought through feature?

3. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Flesh... It is in your opinion that the cooling vents look bad, in my opinion, it suits the SCV and has a good reason to be there. In someone else's opinion, the Marine helmet might look crap, so they would want it removed. Everyone has different opinions.
    Also, even though I might not have explained it well, the example I gave using drills and bolts is an actual example of how drills are used in construction today. Structures are actually built this way. Not only that, but it is mainly structures that require a more solid and rigid frame. This method of construction is a "bolted joint". Just because you chose to be extremely ignorant of this, does not make it a crap way of building buildings.

4. MyLifeForAiur

MyLifeForAiur New Member

I like this one much better than the one blizzard has released

5. Flesh

Flesh New Member

It is my opinion? You just figured that out? Yes its is my opinion. lol. This was a forum, the last time I checked. A place where you exchange opinions. Its also the opinion of the topic creator that the SCV design looks awful. And that is also the opinion of most people who posted in here. And if their thoughts are anything to go by, I'd say that most of the community is displeased with the new design changes. This SCV is just one of many problems Blizz is having with unit design. Now, if you do not feel like even considering the opinion of the community then you should really gtfo from the community forums.

And yeah, I believed you when you said drills can used in certain methods of constructing buildings. I just thought your example is poor and far fetched. Its something that is rarely done and it is something most normal people would never think of when they see that drill on SCVs hand. Because the SCVs drill cannot be used in that purpose, which evident from its size and shape. And because most people would think like this, the drill would look stupid to them, as it should. So it should be changed into something that would have more sense and look less stupid.

6. WuHT

WuHT New Member

if anything : The SCV in the Scout-tower page on Starcraft2.com just looks plain aweful. It looks like a mini-thor or something that isn't for practical construction/repair purposes, instead being flamboyant and unnecessarily noticeable.

For a guy with so many posts Itzahexgor, you sure don't understand that forums are for sharing ideas and thus opinions...and that stating what people think being "their opinions" is not only redundant, but midly insulting.

7. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Dude... that quote of me was taken right out of context. Read the whole thing:
    I was definitely not saying that you cannot post your opinion. I was saying that everyone has different opinions on everything, so it is impossible to get exactly what everybody wants. There have been some examples of designs that did need a remodel, like the Siege Tank, but the SCV doesn't fit into this category.
    The example I gave was neither poor or far-fetched. It is a common type of construction, used especially for designs that require as little moving/swaying as possible, i.e. need to be rigid. Look it up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolted_joint And I'll emphasize this quote:
    Also, I see nothing wrong with the SCV in the Sensor Tower video. It is just standing there twirling its tools every-so-often. Anything vehicle-walker units that have their equipment for arms would seem like the Thor. Just like how the Viking does.