SCII Carrier on StarCraft 2 site

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Proxy-serva, Oct 5, 2007.

SCII Carrier on StarCraft 2 site

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Proxy-serva, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

I like how the Carrier "opens" by moving back the ring. The interceptors attack appears a bit late, they should shoot a bit earlier imho.

I wonder how that fight would have ended had the BC a Yamato Gun...

Also the debris is gone... hopefully to return more polished.

2. asdfasdf9876

asdfasdf9876 New Member

its not a surprise that 1 bc vs 3 carriers, 1 carrier almost died. bcs were made to take out other big capitol ships, carriers are better at attacking smaller units. bc's armors were made to withstand small attacks like the interceptors.

3. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

great update

4. DontHate

DontHate New Member

the new bc is pretty beast. it does 64 damage with each volley, 8 damage a blast. It's also has a starting 3 armor taking down interceptor damage to 3 so eh, w.e. I got those stats off a website, but it might be false.

5. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

Great !! The Tempest is away, and the carrier is back, and in yellow as every Protoss Troop.

I HATE how the battlecruiser disappears when it is destroyed. Where is the ruin of this unit, falling to the ground ?

I like how the carrier opens its "mouth", its front to eject his interceptors.

6. proswimma

proswimma New Member

Maine
    The Mothership and the Carrier both have the same role: Capital Ship....interesting

7. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    I agree with Samir, it should fall down when it is destroyed, but not only that....HAHAHAHAHUAHAHAHA!! that BC took forever to be destroyed by 3 Carriers! now that's a bit imba, it almost destroyed one of the Carriers! but i see what blizzard is trying to do, the BC are like air barricades...but the Carriers are so much weaker and its just too much

8. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

no 1= all around can kill anything ship class the other= pwn all ground and cast-a-lot class

9. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

The biggest reason for the miss-match was that the Carriers weren't upgraded. Upgrading the Interceptors would double that taskforces' firepower.

But still... I think they should tweak the Carriers somewhat. In StarCraft 1 The Battlecruiser was tougher, but the Carrier could deal out more damage. In StarCraft 2 the Battlecruiser is still tougher, and with the new multiple laser battery feature, it can handle swarms of small units much better... while the Carrier on the other hand doesn't appear to have been improved in any way.

Maybe a nice feature would be to give Carriers two Interceptor upgrades? They could upgrade to 8, and then for a even heftier chunk of resources upgrade to 12? After all, the site does say something about "super carriers".

10. terranupmyheart

terranupmyheart New Member

plus i think it was just to demonstrate the movements and im sure the actual damage control will be different

11. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

i like the new yellow mineral looks, looks more valuable. And my god, it took forever for the carriers to take out the bc, the bc is either really beefed up or they made the carriers weaker

12. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

13. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    Hmmm...at first it surprised me how long it took them to beat it, but then I figured my whole original theory of how I'd like them to be opposite capital ships in the way that the BC is mainly guns and offense and the Carrier is mainly armor and defensive

14. Bizarro_Paragon

Bizarro_Paragon New Member

The "Super Carriers" reference at the end seems to be referring to Hero carriers, such as the Gantrithor. It also seems like we may actually have some Hero carriers that have a weapon of their own, on top of the Interceptors.

Anyway, I froze the frame a couple of times on the action shot of the 3 carriers attacking the Battlecruiser, and I'm under the impression that there's somewhere between 18 and 20 interceptors. This would mean that, if the standards are the same as in the Original, which I suspect they are, then these Carriers are, actually, upgraded. Non-upgraded Carriers would only be able to hold a grand total of 12 (for all three), and when you freeze-frame, you can clearly count more than that. Not a lot considering we're used to having 96 on a bad day.

Anyway, I'm under the impression (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that the current Battlecruiser has 500 HP. Also from the inital launch to the Battlecruiser exploding, it took 26 seconds for the 18-20 Interceptors to take down the Battlecruiser. Let's say 25 for to simplify the math even more. Assuming that the Battlecruiser still has it's 3 base armor...

If you split up 500 HP amongst 20 Interceptors, that means that each Interceptor would be responsible for 25 damage over the course of 25 seconds. Considering that their apparent rate of fire is very close to once per second*, that would mean one of two things.

1) We have witnessed the birth of a MASSIVELY nerfed Carrier, in which each Interceptor does 4 points of damage for every shot, three of which would be useless against the Cruiser's armor. (The Original did 6 points of damage per shot)

2) It only appears that way, because of some unknown reason. I.E. Cruisers are bad matchups for the new Carrier, the Cruiser was fully upgraded, etc.

*Watch the flight of an Interceptor as it goes away from the Battlecruiser and back. It takes about 1 second.

15. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

it took a long time because the bc has high armor and the interceptors low damage, so 50% or even more of the combined damage of all the interceptors are nullified by the armor.

pesonally i like the old model more, the new models make the carrier feel small even though it's not. i guess it's the problem is the thin body, the "arms" extending out do take up a bit of volume but there gaps between them and the main body which some how make them feel less substantial

16. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Bizarro_Paragon assuming the 3 Carriers had only 18 interceptors like you said i think that shows that the carriers have NOT been upgraded because if i remember correctly Tempests had a base of 6 shurikens and then you upgraded that to 10-12 shurikens. So maybe the carriers havnt been nerfed.

Either way those damage numbers are still in a very early stage and will probally be increased if the carrier turns out to be to weak.

17. Bizarro_Paragon

Bizarro_Paragon New Member

That's definitely a possibility, Kerwyn. The problem is that because the imagine quality is so low, there's many times where it's impossible to tell if what you're looking at is a rock or an interceptor. You also have to keep in mind that some may be off the screen, so keep in mind that it was only an estimate. However, your explanation seems to make sense, that the new Carrier is taking over some of the properties originally prescribed to the Tempest...

"The Protoss Tempest was an air unit that was canceled in StarCraft II, being replaced by the original Carrier. According to Dustin Bowder, "the Tempest didn't feel right and that there was too much of an emotional connection with the original unit."

Like the Carrier from the the original StarCraft and Brood War, the Tempest had powerful shields and, while having no armaments of its own, carried a number of small fighter-type drones called Shuriken that launched, surrounded and swarmed a target, doing little damage individually but significant damage when combined whilst maneuvering rapidly, making it difficult to destroy. The drones could be auto-built with a right click,a behavior which has carried over to the Carrier.

The Tempest was strong against ground targets, but was ill-equipped to handle air-to-air encounters; it had poor air defense as its shields did not activate against air attacks, but the shields took little damage from ground attacks.

The Tempest had a "dark" color scheme, similar to that of the Stalker.

In comparison to the Carrier, the Tempest was slightly weaker, but cost fewer resources to build"

Perhaps this new Carrier takes the same roles. We know that the shields DO activate when the Battlecruiser shot at them, but it's always possible that they're weaker against an Air Attack, but it will be much more difficult to destroy from the ground. This would play into Kerwyn's notion that Carriers will have the same amount of Interceptors as the Tempest was to have Shuriken. It could even make sense that it was weaker, but cheaper.

Having watched it a few more times, I'm of the opinion that this is almost quite right. It just looks really wrong because we're all so used to seeing fleets of 12+ Carriers kick the crud out of everything in nanoseconds.

18. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

Karune already stated that the Carriers in the Action shot aren´t even remotely balanced, it just was supposed to demonstrate the attack animation.

19. Ych

Ych New Member

20. Sagathox

Sagathox New Member

thanks, i was really sad when i saw that battlecruiser take a nap before being destroyed, but lets hope they give them some ability or at least more damage, the animation looks cool, but i would love diferent types of animation, not always the same one.