1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resource gathering systems

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Anubis_theDark, Sep 19, 2007.

Resource gathering systems

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Anubis_theDark, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

but attaching cords(the Zerg idea) would make it too easy to disrupt the resource gathering of the Zerg.if anything changes,i think it should be like this:

Terran:as it is now.

Protoss:the mining would be just like wisps gather wood in war3,except that the minerals would not be endless.the gas haversting could be like the undead way of getting gold,but instead of the probes being outside,they should be inside.

Zerg:the mining would be like it is now,drones cutting pieces of the mineral and putting it back on the hatchery.the gas harvesting would be automated,this could be easily justificated by saying that "since the Zerg bases are one huge living being,they can transport gas through their insides,without the need of external workers".

2. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    While it's certainly a good idea, I think it will break the competitive spirit of the game. Remember, Blizzard's making SC2 as a multiplayer e-sport. It just seems like it could be abused easily.

3. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

everything can be balance. then kill the tentacles.

4. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

I love the zerg idea. the protoss idea is kinda strange.

5. univ2045

univ2045 New Member

This is a cool idea, the resource gathering system should be different for each race

6. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    What is with everyone thinking something is to WCish. Just because they did it in WC does not mean it cannot be used here. Al these people saying something is not SCish well thats fine because it will be very SC2ish when the game has been released.

As for the idesa I like the zerg idea but not the Protoss because it seems like the zerg and you don't always have a multiple of 3 for mineral fields

7. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

I would like to see something special later on that could give each race a way to get ahead on resources. like your idea on zerg you could attach a drone to one but it takes longer to extract resources but its more protected kind of like a bunker for drones.

my other idea was that much like yours protos idea, you could upgraded probes. they would stop working and go into your nexus and build up. You could only do one at a time and it wouldn't let you build any new probes. after this though it could gather more resources. it would have three arms so it would work a little faster and deliver the minerals once each arm was filled. they would move normally on the powered areas but slowly on unpowered areas.

I would like to see the terran's with some sort of ability to let them get gas quicker. like having an ability to gather gas quickly but you loose some. so they would carry like 15 or 10 (balance issue) and they would loose about 20 or 15. (I was always low on gas) maybe the same ability could be moved to mining as well.

8. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

they would loose more gas than they gathered ??how is this even remotely fair ??

9. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

i think Smokiehunter means that terrans would have the option of carrying more gas per trip, but also lose some per trip due to inefficiency. so the net result is fast gas gathering at the cost of reduced deposit per gayser.

this seems to be an reasonable idea. i would suggest 12 per trip and lose 2, so gas gathering become 20% faster but a 5000 gayer will only convert to 4267 gas

10. Larvitar

Larvitar New Member

The only thing I can think of is Zerg workers able to stack and harvest crystals very fast (like 2 drones mining 1 mineral field at the same time). This is due to the fact Zerg should be aggressive and not turtle. Finishing up mineral nodes quickly could allow the zerg to free up existing forces to defend less bases.

For the protoss, the probes are similiar to terran for the reason that it is the most feasible way of mining. Unless you want probes to mine more, carry more and then bring back more(robotic units should have more strength right?). And at the gesyer, it could just be a self sustaining gesyer that pipes gas home and is run by a probe that stays outside the gesyer to control it. If the probe is killed no gas can be collected. The pipe has to be warped in also and can be attacked.

11. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

actually if anything,the TERRANS should gather more minerals at once.the SCV is visually much more powerful than the Probe.it starts by the hp,but a quick look at them side by side shows how mechanically superior the SCV is compared to the Probe.

12. GrahamTastic

GrahamTastic Member

I like it. I think that those ideas could work. Good sketch, by the way. :)

13. Larvitar

Larvitar New Member

But machines rule! They have a processor speed that pwns human speed.
    Besides, more armour means less of other functions. If it was both, SCVs should cost more. And a single probe or SCV operating a refinery would be cool, cause it reduces the need for manpower but makes it more vunerable to attacks.

14. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

zerg extractor shouldn't need any drones to collect gas, since it's a living organism, and the whole base is connected by living creep

15. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

yeah, the extractor should just fart every three seconds and the cloud would move to the hatchery and be able to be attacked(only 10 hp)

16. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

lol and you can upgrade the extractor to produce bigger farts which are more resistant to attacks

17. Anubis_theDark

Anubis_theDark New Member

lol, and the smell of the fart could be so damn bad that a marine who gets inside dies instantly. Again just because some things might look like mechanics in war3 doesn't mean they shouldn't go here. If my ideeas ar warcraftish then the colossus is war of the worldish, the dark templar is predatorish (with those zerg bones on it and the whole aspect it brings alot of the predator) and other ideeas like those. Again the human mind is limited to wath it has seen. Each and every game has things inspired from others. But if something is good then why the hell it wouldn't be used. The uniq gathering systems from war3 could open up new ideeas for sc2. Right now sc2 offers verry little difference from the first one. And I for one don't want a copy with new cloths of the first one.

18. Larvitar

Larvitar New Member

I think warcraft 3 gold mining was a bit imba since human and orc could just use (Mini Item) quick build town hall and then start mining whereas night elf and undead needed to finish summoning the building.

19. Anubis_theDark

Anubis_theDark New Member

No one said that war3 mechanics should stay the same or be implemented as they are in sc2. But they can be a point of inspiration. Off all the strategies that have resource gathering systems, war 3 is the best elaborated one and there for since is made by blizzard it could be the starting point for new resource gathering systems for SC2.

20. headstock

headstock New Member

i started a thread which kinda went off track a bit...
    http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/index.php?topic=2452.0
    'ZERG MINING OPTIONS'

in this i suggested that the zerg are organic, and actually digest minerals/gas as opposed to the other races who refine and manipulating the minerals/gas. i was looking for anyone who had ideas on how to create new mechanics based on this.... some of the ideas that popped up in the thread were zerg units being able to heal by 'eating' minerals or gas straight from the source

different mechanics of this kind are the kinds of things id like to have explored whether or not implemented.....

changing the way each team mines though, just for the sake of making the races more unique i dont like personally....

i love the fact that all three teams are unique, but with each team being unique there needs to be a balance. like in a science experiment, take a few identical items, modify each one, and you keep a couple untouched so that you can compare results to a non-variable or whatever ya call it.

like wise in the game... mineral/gas mining is the common denominator. if you were to change something as cruicial as this, i would assume it to reflect throughout the entire game and make for a very difficult time balancing everything else, because everything stems from mining.

different mining speeds would change the cost of everything else, build speeds of everything else, and so on

also, many strategies based around mining would be ruined. if zerg just had permanant tentacle thigns like somthin that was suggested, then how do they retreat in the face of attack?

what happens to scv rushes? in fact what happens to the build/mining units all together? their entire roles would change

there are already major differences in the way that the scv, probe, and drone all have different healths, and there are different mechanics in the way these units behave etc. scvs can repair, must continue building till a building is completed, will enter a refinery once finished.. probes can start a build and move on to a new job, drones heal although they have minimal health, and they actually mutate into the buildings themselves so you loose the drone... and so on

there are already differences to make the teams unique.

but if you change the way the teams actually mine..... that just seems veeeeeery risky to me, it is the basis of all three teams as unique as they are.

change this, everything else changes, and i feel starcraft will loose its form