1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reavers

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by CarriersMustReturn, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Reavers

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by CarriersMustReturn, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    There are no ultimate units for Terran and Zerg on the scale of the Mothership.

Blizzard was very firm and clear on this from the beginning. To put even more emphasis, they said that again in the Q&A.

The Mothership is hardly a "god unit."

2. mc2

mc2 New Member

The Mothership is more like an improved arbiter + carrier. If it's not like a super-god-unit than they would let a player have more than one. Because they know what this unit is capable of, they limited the unit to one only. So in their minds it is a super unit.

Nevertheless I don't think I'll be making one in every game i play as protoss. I rather mass on ground troops because they are more powerful that way

3. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    A strat that is overpowered is any strat that generally has a high success rate, yet it takes less effort to carry out the strat than the effort needed to counter it.

This is true for almost all game balancing, even in fighting games or other genre of competitive gameplay.  A strat can still be very potent without being overpowered if the risk and effort involved more or less balances out with the reward and counter efforts.  OP is a very "relative" thing, not a definitive thing.

In that regard, without the game stepping too deep into the realm of imbalance, I don't see how a single unit can be described as a "god unit" in the game of SC2.  Unless the unit is so insanely powerful that it makes most retaliatory efforts a joke, and causes the opposition to take on hugely disadvantaging losses just to have a shot at killing one, I wouldn't call it a "god unit."

In a game that  neither side is out-resourced, out-teched, or out-microed, with everything is more or less on equal footing on both sides.  If the act of Protoss getting a Mothership, doesn't automatically give the Toss a large advantage, and it could still go one way or the other, then it ain't no "god unit."  It just means the two sides have different unit compositions, and the Toss happened to choose a MS for those 8 supplies.

The very fact that Blizz is limiting MSs to one per player/map makes me believe that is exactly what they are doing to prevent Motherships from becoming "god units."  En masse, they might be OP, perhaps, we won't know.  But limited to one, it sure doesn't seem that way.  I never even thought so for a second even before considering the fact that the demo MS is stronger than normal.

The most important thing is, SC is a game where you pit army against army, not one unit/character vs another as in fighting games.

4. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    I can't see any of them :(

5. Tankman131

Tankman131 Guest

ive looked and i cant find any reavers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.