1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reaver range

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Honus, Jun 17, 2007.

Reaver range

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Honus, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

@ Power - good question i think ultralisk can obviously be used to destroy buildings, but if (let's assume, for the sake of the argument) it wasn't specifically designed to destroy buildings, then I don't think it would be a siege weapon

@ coalescence - ahhh good one :good: - although I was assuming that in this sense (in the SC sense) we were talking about destroying rather than circumventing defenses (because then colossus could be consider one too)

2. coalescence

coalescence New Member

@PowerkickasS
    3 four reavers force fire on a ultralisk is byebye ultralisk, which are kinda expensive (not that the ammo for a reaver is cheap, but that's another story ;D)

3. wolfblood

wolfblood New Member

lol flying units attacking reavers while SV does EMP= BB reavers :D allthou i love reavers :D

4. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

fine ill be a bit more discrete
    ultralisks counters reavers best, in some certain situations.

5. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

Reavers were one of those magic units that could only be effectively defeated, unit cost wise, with unit mixes or very careful micro...regardless they always impose a danger, and a time sink for the opponent. Definitely one of the most original units in the game.

6. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

Well the Reavers Scarabs blasts supplementing other units attacks would make quick work of any ground based zerg unit (especially with HT). I remember in original SC, I used to watch this professional Starcraft played play as protoss, he mastered micro with High Templar and Reavers, and would otherwise use Zealots for the bulk unit power of his army. (This was before Dragoons became good units, for those new Starcraft players, Dragoons used to be the worst ranged unit in the game)

7. paragon

paragon Guest

On the topic of reavers, I wonder if they will be autocasting the build scarab ability.

8. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    I seriously don't remember the dragoon being the worst ranged unit at all. The attack is quite powerful (20 at both air and ground) and a lot of hit points (80 shield, 100 hp). It's just the range was ok (4 but upugrade 5). Compare it to the goliath which had an attack of 10 in ground and 20 in air and had 125 hp. Granted that it is 50 minerals cheaper and slightly longer range (5, but upgrade 6). And this is all before the patches or BW was out. So I dunno how u say it's the worst.

In my opinion, you really can't say any of it is the worse. Each has its ups and downs. Out of the 3 ground ranged support units (goliath, dragoons, hydralisk), i'd take the dragoons any day.

9. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    yea i really hope so... that'll be so nice to have. I'm sure there's a chance it'll happen.

10. UchihaItachi0129

UchihaItachi0129 New Member

dude i love that. but it'll waste your minerals >.<

11. paragon

paragon Guest

You could just turn the autocast off.

12. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    and plus they arent to expensive either (10 minerals!). Maybe a little more or less in SC2.

13. paragon

paragon Guest

Also, if you're so poor that you can't afford the scarabs, you are probably losing anyways. Or you will be losing soon.

14. UchihaItachi0129

UchihaItachi0129 New Member

heh...not if you can make that sacarb and pwn those zerglings/marines/whatever they are XP lol

15. mc2

mc2 New Member

Even though reavers have lost their previous long range, they will still be a siege unit as long as the scarabs are similar to the ones in SC1. That means having a damage of 100+25 and the large splash damage area. Although the shorter range might be compromised with a shorter cooldown for them, SC1 reavers had a long cooldown. Also zerglings with upgraded adrenal glands is also a siege unit. I did an experiment and discovered that 12 fully upgraded zerglings and destroy a Hive (2500 HP) in 5 seconds!! (when the game is played at max speed) the results here: http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/index.php?topic=25.msg11469#new

So afterall it will still be a siege, possible compromise will be shorter cooldown and faster speed.

16. paragon

paragon Guest

We don't even know if it's lost its long range and you are stating it as if it's fact.

17. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    yea those gameplay footages can be a little tricky. I still think the reaver will be the same in range. Reaver drop!

18. gr3ykn1ght

gr3ykn1ght New Member

i believe in the gameplay video the reaver was moving forward to attack the bunker, but the marine came in tange and started shooting it. so it shot a scarab at it from close quarters and also blew itself up. ;D i think that kinda mean that reavers should have less hp, but i also noticed they move faster.

a complaint i hope blizzard should consider. they should DEFINITELY allow an autocast on the building of scarabs. many a time i've been assaulting bases happily with my 5 or so reavers, and when the enemy put up a counter attack, i was able to blow them up... until i ran out of reavers. then i was like shit and pressing hotkeys for scarabs (with about 5000 minerals left unused) and ordering them to start running, but by the time they actually turned around they blew up. *sob*