1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reapers

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gold, May 23, 2007.

Reapers

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gold, May 23, 2007.

1. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

but they should NOT. old "useless" and not effective unit should not be added in sc2, a new effective unit is BETTER.

i like the firebat but this is starcraft 2.

2. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    its kinda like the Reaver. It got outmatched my the Collossus.
    Now the Firebat got beat by the Reaper.
    Just for an example: both are/were used to kill workers. And the Reaper is WAY more effective in that. First of, it can escape if its starting to look grim. Also, 16 timebombs thrown at once could probably destroy an entire CC/hatchery/nexus in just a few seconds.

but i want the Firebat to stay, too... It should just be used in different situations.
    more like a really cheap anti-zergling :)

3. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    @ Zeratul , personally, I don't give a flying crap what units the Terrans do get as I'm a Zerg player.

The only reason I'm pushing the Reaper and Firebat being combined is that the Terran do NOT have an effective counter to large amounts of infantry as of yet.

I don't care if you call it the Reaper, the Firebat, or the Flying Circus. Either the Reaper needs flamethrowers from the get-go, or the Firebat needs to be able to upgrade to jump-packs at Tier 2.

Remy has educated me in that the Reaper is a late tier 1 unit, so giving it Flamethrowers would probably do the job of the Firebat quite well. The pistols are stupid anyway. Not to mention too similar to the Marines' attack.

The lower HP is a tradeoff for the increased mobility. The unit just needs to be microed better in order to survive longer in combat. You could use cliffs more to your advantage. Jump them up, and then down directly into the target infantry.

4. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    i dunno, the firebat isnt the unit with 30hp... it is more like a mildly buffed up rine with another weapon.
    I think terran can have BOTH, human infantry is awsome and there should be a wide variety of em.

5. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Trust me, you don't want two different overly specialized units. Which is exactly what having both the Reaper in its current state and the original Firebat would be.

Too much cost, not enough usage. The Firebat would STILL be obselete after late Tier 1 and then you're left with leftover hitpoint absorbers. Then you'd have the Reaper which is only good for mild encounters and base raiding. If no AoE attack, I would guess it'd be obselete by Tier 3. Or as soon as the Planetary Fortress shows up, etc...

But if it has an AoE anti-melee attack, it would fulfill the role of the Firebat in late Tier 1 and then have the needed mobility as well as an anti-melee AoE attack to be relevant in late game, supposing Dark Swarm appears, etc... or there is a need for mobile anti-infantry.

6. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

sc1 had firebats, the easiest way is to keep the firebat the same, and make jetpack a late tier 1 - early tier 2 research for the firebats

7. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Thank you! ;)

But a lot of people have argued that the Firebat is an old unit and therefore it should be the Reaper that simply gets flamethrowers.

Remy pointed out that it comes at the right time, slightly later Tier 1, so its at the same tech period as the Firebat. It would still do the job. The lower HP can be countered by its increased mobility and the use of Medics.

8. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

Wouldn´t that conflict with each other? High mobility and almost melee? Also Medics can´t jump cliffs, limiting that combination further.

9. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Wasn't saying the medics would jump.

You can use either or.

And don't you think mobile RANGED units like the Reaper would be more imba than a melee attacker? Thought so. :p

10. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

it would be awesome to get a few firebats into the enemy mineral line with jetpacks. i can just imagine the carnage.

11. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

Well if you look at it the vulture WAS imba wasn´t it? It was the fastest unit in the game and ranged to boot-it even had spidermines as well as being dirt cheap.

12. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

yeah vulture was slightly imba, it was so effective even with it's mostly useless concussive damage type. against zeals + dragoons, vultures totally owned zeals and were excellent meat shield in front of tanks absorbing dragoon fire. because of the vulture's medium size it took a dragoon 6 shots to kill a vulture (only 8 needed to kill a tank)

13. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    The vulture was hardly imba. They just did what they were meant to do. Plus, spider mines were useful, but you had make an additional vulture for every three mines. It was pretty cool anyways.

14. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

in the hands of the skilled, (in a matchup between the skilled and the unskilled) the vulture is the single most imba unit there is. they totally own any infantry (zeals, m+m, lings) and with mine they even own dragoons, they are dirt cheap at 75min 0gas, which is 1/3 the cost of a dragoon, and they are so quick to produce. (cheaper than firebat)

their speed is the fastest of all units making them excellent scouts and base raiders and because of their medium size, they actually have decent hp (160hp vs concussive damage type, 120hp vs explosive damage type)

the difference in skilly microed vulture and normal vulture is huge

15. Indigent

Indigent New Member

To start with, they never thought that units could be used to micro, or that spider mines could be used for offense rather then the deffence. The vulture was as good as a fast cobra, although it won't even be used because it is so darn slow. The thing that ticked me off was that the mines weren't rechargeable.

16. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

i'm sure the speed of the cobras will be increased, it might be through a research like vultures in sc1

17. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Right now the cobra is way too slow, as a Thor could turn in circles and shoot at them. Being able to shoot while moving, however, is a different story.

18. josh

josh New Member

In Our House
    the reapers' pistols looks like the double enforcer in unreal tournament.

19. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

which is what makes them awesome

20. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    lol you said it! The enforcers are way cooler than the SMG-thingie you start with in ut 2003