1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reapers

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gold, May 23, 2007.

Reapers

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gold, May 23, 2007.

1. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

supply depots take up 4 squares now? w00t

2. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    actually, building buildings as close to the ledge as possible could still leave a small row where rines and reaps could fit in. (just like in SC1) thus, making it possible for the reapers to jump up. the collosuss can see over ledges since it is so high, and could melt the buildings into fudge before making the real entrance.

3. drewcbarnard

drewcbarnard Member

no marines?...umm trying to start a riot?

4. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

Flame war - Round 1!

FIGHT!

reapers are fine - balance between strength and maneuverability - they can rape your mineral field but they are weak

but Joneagle_X's idea wasn't bad, the only problem would be I think the firebats would have too much HP and it would translate over in the reapers if they changed

5. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

I forgot to check out the reapers and mines vid when I got home last night, so I didn't know they could throw them. But still, wouldn't it be an research, and wouldn't they need to see the buildings at the top of the cliff to do so?
    And also, I think if anything, this would only be effective vs. reapers and their imminent early-stage mineral field rushes, so they hopefully would not have it researched that early.

And for colossi, now that I think about it, by the time a Protoss player has a colossus, you should probably have units to counter it, so slowing it down (as opposed to foiling it completely) would probably be the goal.

6. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    Exactly Nikzad but if we can block cliffsides with supply depots, it wouldn't hurt, eh? ^_^

I'm not too worried about reapers especially once you have the planetary fortress or a bunker around the area. Reapers don't exactly have the best offensive firepower but they are prolly a pain in the ass.

7. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

yeah I was thinking that if it did block the reapers, you could place the supply depots (or whatever buildings work best) in a way so that they would have to come up the cliff at a place that is covered by a bunker/phase cannon/sunken, so that they can't just fly up and sit behind the minerals, out of range of your limited early static D

8. DaygoWop

DaygoWop New Member

Well, if they dont replace reapers with firebats, then what unit do they scrap? Or just have alot of terran units...

9. paragon

paragon Guest

I'm thinking in practice this would never actually work. Like 90% of the rest of theorycrafting.
    First they would have to not scan the cliff
    Second the AI would have them automatically go somewhere else if they couldn't get up which would alert them to the fact that it is blocked
    Third sticking s**t on the side is generally not good base building in general.

Oh and a little overboard on the moderating there Nikzad. I didn't quote the entire thing because I wasn't talking about everything he said and you still edited it out.

10. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

yeah well that's the beauty of hypothesizing

you don't need to quote a post that is right above you, paragon

but I'll keep in mind how sensitive you are to that sort of thing the next time you do quote unnecessarily

and please don't edit out the red mod text, it's only text, it's not like I penalized you

and before you reply, no, I do not have anything better to do with my time ;D

11. Shadowdragon

Shadowdragon New Member

My biggest problem with making the reapers use flames is that they would have to get to close to their target. Reapers don't have much health, and I don't want to be going through ten reapers a second. As they are now, they can outrun melee infantry after they shoot them. But if they use flames, than their one advantage dies. They would become little more than mine carriers. Who want's that?

12. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

hmmmm that's a very good point...bringing that up sets me at ease about them having the same HP as a firebat, if they upgraded from firebats, like Joneagle_X suggested before

13. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I'm not necessarily suggesting that the Reaper be exactly like the firebat but with a jetpack.

I'm just saying that if you the Reaper to be a "raider" unit then it should deal splash damage and not really be able to pursue a face-to-face mid-range encounter with enemy infantry. The mines will give them the capability to survive counter-attacks, but at the same time will allow them to swarm smaller units or separated units and still deal damage. I don't think they were ever intended to be able to face regular infantry units.

Then you throw in the fact that after Tier 1 the Firebat really becomes totally obselete and usually disappears from gameplay altogether because it is too immobile and has WAY to short of a range. If you corrected its mobility issue(by adding a jetpack) then it would again become an effective unit. So I'm suggesting a merging of the Firebat and the Reaper. It would then be faster, be an effective infantry unit even late-game, and would give the added ability of being a raider, just like the current Reaper is now, but it would be more effective and deadly, although with a shorter-range attack.

Again, the mines would give the Reaper the ability to raid and still defend themselves. They would be very similar to the Vulture and its mines.

14. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Lol. OUCH!
    '
    Anyway, I agree that keeping Reapers and "Colossi" as you call them isn't a very effective idea. It might fool raiders initially, but it definitely wouldn't be a good way of keeping them out for long.

I'd think it would be a better strategy to use your supply depots to actually slow them down in leaving your base so that you can kill more of them on their attempt to escape.

Anyone know how far they can jump and if they can easily go over buildings?

15. DontHate

DontHate New Member

well collosi can't becuase of that pro korean dude who had to kill his own pylon becuase it was blocking the way, so i doubt reapers can.

16. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

firebat should have a wing like that of a bat and flies. while on air mode it shoots balls of fire and travels slow. in ground mode the wing close and the firebats gets a flamethrower and moves twice as fast. ^^

17. DontHate

DontHate New Member

an infantry viking basicly, just reversed.
    better G2G and less effective with A2A.

18. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Well...it probably wouldn't be an A2A unit at all, but what's stopping you from using flames against air units? Just have to get closer ;)

19. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

no, you dont need to get closer, when batman i mean firebat is in air form it shoots balls of fire or whatever you want to call it at long range.

so its AA attack only in air mode and GG attack in ground(flame thrower).

20. xasterothx

xasterothx New Member

dude their like mini gats