1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reapers

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gold, May 23, 2007.

Reapers

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gold, May 23, 2007.

1. brc9210

brc9210 New Member

Well first off they are gauss pistols meaning they have a ridiculous rate of fire. Not as much as the marines gauss rifle but better than any sub machine gun we have. Also pistols are anything but wimpy. A sub machine gun is really just a pistol that shoots faster, and a lot of pistols have a higher caliber round than rifles. Pistols are the perfect weapon for a reaper, rifles are for for longer range anyway and reapers seem to work better up close and personal. Also Flames were useless. Once your enemy got something better than zealots or lings(enough rines can own any number of bats) then bats were pretty much only good for soaking up hits.

2. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I'm assuming that it'll be sort of like WC3 (YICK! Nothing from that game in my SC2, PLEASE!) where you can only purchase so many "merc" units per allotted amount of time.... Or per building.. etc...

Plus from what I've seen these Reapers aren't all that scary unless they're mingled with your workers and you have no units around.... ;)

3. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

the thing is we don't want so many terran units to use guns(marine, reaper, viking ground), flames offer diversity and different strategy

4. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    What if they had a ranged fire attack? Fireballs, etc....

They could even have a different type of bullet that did specific damage. Like.... it damages armored units more than regular infantry... That would make them perfect raiders on tank convoys, etc. but would make them obselete versus conventional infantry.

5. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Just give reapers SMGs then. They are beter then pisotols and compared to the size of a reaper's guase pistols SMGs are smaller then the pistols.

6. brc9210

brc9210 New Member

You don't understand a gauss pistol would fire fast enough that essentially it is an smg if not better. The next level would be the marines gauss rifle but if you gave them that you might as well turn them into regular marines. Also if you think about it in sc1 we had 3 units using guns marines,Goliaths, and Ghosts. In sc2 adding 1 more gun(reaper) Wont really hurt anything seeing as the races seem to be getting extra units. Sure Flames offer diversity but are they useful? I mean giving them flames means no no chance for an air attack, if the flames are anything like a firebat no chance at taking out anything bigger than a zealot. If that happens then placing two ground defense structure by your base or getting a planetary fortress pretty much ensures that the reapers cant do anything.Firebats in sc1 did 4 dmg to all buildings,3 if they had armor so sunken colony could easily take out 5-6 bats. Reapers aren't meant to be massed so if this happened then reapers would end up being like the firebat and barley get used.

7. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Well I can say for sure from watching the new Terran demo that if your opponent has a planetary fortress the Reapers are already pretty useless around that. They didn't stand up well at ALL.

Anyway, I do think there needs to be some different type of attack. My personal choice would be to just give a jetpack upgrade to the Marines so that you could upgrade them to be able to jump over stuff.... Or give it to all infantry. I just don't think this unit really has its own niche.

8. burkid

burkid New Member

what do you mean goive it a different attack? it has freaking magnetic mines! and a jump pack! and dual pistols!

9. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Yea but its just... I don't know, there are other raider units. I could see this as being an upgrade for the Marines, but not its own unit and build structure...

10. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

well you could just compare having a planetary fortress to having 4 bunkers and missile turrets around your mineral field...so the question is, by the time your enemy has 4 bunkers and missile turrets/a planetary fortress, are you still going to be relying on reapers to be raiding the mineral field?

I would think that by the time a planetary fortress is deployed that you'd have at least moved up to tier 2 units and abandoned hopes of a mineral field raid

11. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

that's the point, the pistols are the same as marine's rifile game mechanic wise. (except can't attack air)

ghost did concussive damage(same type as firebats), which is different from marine and goliath's normal damage. and yes adding one more gun does make a difference, 3 units using essentially the same weapon, how can you say that's not boring?

but flames are designed to take out small, clustered units like workers, zerglings and zealots, and not heavy mech or buildings, that's the point about strategy diversity.
    the thing is flame does splash damage and is at least 5 times as effective as guns at taking out mass small melee units. 12 firebats > 12 zealots where as 12 marines will get raped.

marines didn't do much more damage and sunken colony could easily take out 4-5 rines also. anyway bats are not designed to takeout buildings.

the reason why firebats barely get used in sc1 is because of poor mobility. also when massed with medic, the marine surpasses firebats in everyway. now if you give firebat jet pack and bombs, they'll be deadly base raiders. if you ever dropped firbats into the enemy mineral line, you'll know the kind of havoc they can cause to enemy workers.

12. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Yeah, that was the way I thought about it. I always liked to drop firebats in mining operations if I made a big enough scene.. Since they have bombs now, I think that they are beter off marines rather then firebats. Imagine if all marines could do that. Too bad they can't that would be awfully useful. Zealots running through a canyon with marines shooting down at them. When the zealots actually reach them, they can just jump down. Rather then a whole different unit, just make it an upgrade for marines. Although it would cost a bunch since that is a prety dam useful skill.

13. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Thank you, Indigent, that was exactly my point. Just make it an upgrade for Marines and make them more useful and mobile later-game.

14. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Yay, I contributed!

15. The pistols are rediculous, no military employs pistols as primary weapons. They should combine reapers with firebats to make one badass flameshooting, jetpacking, bomb-throwing dude. Also firebats did splash damage reapers dont, and reapers do less than 10 damage, firebats did 16. Firebats have the superior weapon.

16. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Well, since my idea of upgrading Marines to the Reapers seems to have dropped off, perhaps it should be an upgrade for the Firebats. It would certainly keep them more relevant in late-game combat. I think most players stop using Firebats as soon as they're using Goliaths and Tanks.. that could change in SC2 if the Firebat could be upgraded to have some extra mobility.

17. dont even bother with it being an upgrade, flame-reapers from the start
    The firebat and reapers should be COMBINED into one unit.

18. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    But they would be no different from the firebats. If you did that they should eliminate the firebat completely.

19. TheOneInPower

TheOneInPower New Member

I don't really want firebats to come back in any way, unless they have a new system. By that I mean, what they attack catches on fire and does damage over time. And plus have an attack plus against buildings because, well, they're burning them down. If the reapers had this attack, they would be the ultimate base raiders, between that and the explosive mines. Unbalanced? Maybe, I don't know. I'm kind of pissing in the wind here.

20. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I'm thinking this could be a good revival of the firebat.

Tier 1 Terran - Marines, Traditional(ish) Firebats, Medics

Tier 2 - Upgrade for Firebats to become Reapers... pretty much a jetpack and bombs.