1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reapers as Terran Rushers

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Overling, Nov 19, 2007.

Reapers as Terran Rushers

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Overling, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Oh yeah. I guess I missed that. But if that was the case then it would be pretty different from a marine rush, as marines are much sturdier and stronger than reapers, while reapers are faster.

2. Overling

Overling New Member

Yeah, it would be much much faster, and proper for early slaughtering of undefended workers. Reaper rush is certainly promising.

3. DarkTemplol

DarkTemplol New Member

I really like the idea. I've been a huge fan of Reapers right since they were introduced. I think they are a very cool unit, with alot of potential to harrass the opponent. I think putting them as first tier is a great idea, and I hope this happens. I never really liked the Merc Haven, I always thought the Barracks should suffice for infantry. I'm gonna love working up stratigies to disrupt the opponent though.

One idea I've had since I've seen the Reapers is this:
    Make a control group with Marines and Medics. Nothing too expensive, this is meant as a diversion only. Just start knocking on the front door of their base, and wait for a response. once you can see the opponent is actively microing to defend, bring a group of Reavers around the base to the supply line. D8 Charge any Static Defence, and get out until they blow. Once they SD is taken care of, rush the workers, and take as many out as possible. As soon as the opponent notices that his workers are being attacked, his attention will go back there, so finish up anything you're doing with your Marines, and bugger off. Now, this relies on the fact that there is only minimal static defence, and the opponent is too distracted by the Marines to notice that his workers are dieing, but with a bit of luck, it could work nicely.

4. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I cant wait for reapers personally. My biggest problem playing terran right now is stopping the economy of my enemy. I simply cant stop protoss from expanding if they start doing it. Reapers will be a great unit to do that. Go in with 8-9 reapers. Drop charges, normal attack kill the nexus and some probes, fly back. You dont even need a dropship.

Same with harras, terrans finally have a Mutalisk, lurker, dark templar harras type of unit. And a mobile unit. I really cant wait ;) Terrans are SOOO immobile currently its a joke.

5. Frosty

Frosty New Member

California U.S.
    ya sounds cool to me i think that they should be rush units

6. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    Look, I'm all about Reapers, they're my favorite new unit, but think about it. Reaper as tier one doesn't seem fair at all. I may be missing something it seems to me that even a somewhat effective worker raid early game would guarantee victory. If you take out even 1/3 of the workers that would set your opponent back a considerable amount. We all know those first minutes count like hell.
    That doesn't seem fair and balanced to me.
    incite or thoughts?

7. Frosty

Frosty New Member

California U.S.
    ya you do have a point. The reaper does sound a bit to strong for a rush but they would make for good mid to late infantry when marines don't quit cut it anymore.=)

8. Overling

Overling New Member

Marines would be available at same time as reapers. Another terran player would be able to play the same card bringing more reapers and making things even, or play a defense card bringing Marines into play and setting up a nice defense to "welcome" the Reapers. Protoss have cannons, and Zergs will prolly get something nice to counter them too.

So, things are even! As long as the enemy plays defense correctly, it can be defended.

9. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

they shouldnt be tier one imo, they should be however the same tier as medics and firebats (requiring just an academy) in SC1.

10. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    DK, Firebats are in a much older tier now but in Starcraft I i would have put the Reaper in that tier yes, i think its 1.5 or something.

11. Indigent

Indigent New Member

That is imballanced to the beggining causing a ripple affect and latter on show up in the later future. If we are talking rush, I don't see how it works. A reaper shoots a few workers the enemy sends some out and then you retreat to high ground and etc. Eventually you will just send a few marines to kill what little workers there are and you win.
    If there is a ledge right behind the mineral field, that is even beter, you never have to leave that spot and any workers that try to gather will get pulverized and when they gather from an expansion, they will just delay their fall. If they are terran, they can lift off but again, they are delay their money supply.
    If there is no ledge, reapers are still faster then workers, you can just send one reaper there and shoot a little. Your opponent will try to kill him and you will run away and cause your him to waste time not gathering. Eventually if this continues, you will eventually kill a few workers.

This is all if this is a rush of course. Rushes mean that they come earlier then expected like a proxy rush.

I don't think it should come the second you build a barrack. Imballanced. Reapers are suppose to be special ops kind of stuff, minus some. Make it come in the same place as the firebat in Starcraft I.

12. Wrathbringer

Wrathbringer New Member

What if the Reapers were placed in the Barracks, but given a timer like they had at the Merc Haven? This way they wouldn't be available the moment the Barracks finishes to prevent and insanely early rush, but early enough to make a difference if used correctly. You could even just make a limited amount available right off the bat, and then you'd have to wait for them to restock before you can get more.

IMO if Reapers stay how they are right now they won't be of much use and they'll go the way of the Firebat. They're a great unit, but they must be available early on in the game if Blizzard wants to see them used in competitive play.

13. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    In fact I'm pretty sure that's what's happening right now. Their unique build queue was one of the most advantageous aspects of the Reaper. The best way to balance this would be to make it after the tech lab, which is nearly the same tier level it was on before.

14. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

nah i dont like pistols for the reapers. why cant blizzard just create some new innovative weapons and not be nostalgic about the terran all the time. see unrealtournament 3 they have tons of great weapons and starcraftcraft is even way ahead. UT3 is 2200+ years while sc is 2400+ years almost 2500 years. =\

15. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Are you posting in the right thread?

16. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

no.. and sorry. still pistols? i dont think its really effective than lets say a plasma rifle or something.

i have a new artwork and finally we can take a look at the reapers new weapon. i'll upload it in less than 24hrs.