1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re: POLL: Carrier or Tempest?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by ninerman13, Aug 3, 2007.

?

Which would you like to have seen in Starcraft 2?

1. Carriers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Tempest

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Re: POLL: Carrier or Tempest?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by ninerman13, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I like the Carrier better, it was my second fav unit from SC, but I still want to see melee interceptors cutting up marines.

2. GrahamTastic

GrahamTastic Member

I think that you should be able to choose between melee and ranged interceptors...except that would be an awful like choosing between the Yamato Cannon and Plasma Torpedoes for the BattleCruiser. I sort of liked the melee interceptors though...

But either way, I like the Carrier more. It needs a new model though. (I'm sure that Blizzard is working on that.) I can't wait to see it!!

3. Proxy-serva

Proxy-serva New Member

4. -LT-

-LT- New Member

It's very good.

5. DontHate

DontHate New Member

i agree, i do like the carrier better for it's yellow, it's size, and it's shields. However, i dont like it because of it's name. tempest sounds more menacing.

6. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Yeah, carrier just sounds too ordinary, but tempest is pretty badass for a name.

7. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I think people who want carrier over tempest want it mainly for the namesake. Other than the name, they are pretty much the samething with minor tweaks.

You don't hear people all asking in unison for a larger golden tempest, even though it's really the samething. I don't think people even think about that before asking for carriers. There is only the carrier name.

And @ freedom23, carrier in SC1 is 6 food, not 8 food. Carrier really isn't very good against air based AA. IMHO, the carrier is weak against everything where as the tempest is at least good against incoming ground attacks.

8. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

^ with that. im going for the tempest. ^^

mothership and carriers overlap. bring back the tempest just make it larger. ^^

9. Protosscommander

Protosscommander New Member

Well i will chose Tempest why? because of its new look and new ability,, and i hope they will add an additional ability for the Tempest :)

10. hominiddd

hominiddd New Member

zeratul, the tempest is back and it is larger with a gold color. That's exactly what the "new" carrier looks like. I frankly prefer the tempest with the blue color.

BTW, I have not seen any pic of carriers in action from blizzcon. Anyoone have a pic or vid?

11. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

but thats not the tempest.

its the new carrier.

12. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Carrier vs. Tempest

[img width=400 height=300]http://games.dantri.com.vn/Uploaded/trungnd/Tempest050707.jpg[/img]​

On August 3rd, 2007, Blizzard fans found out that the Protoss Carrier would be making a comeback, replacing the Protoss Tempest. Curious as to the forum’s response to this new change, Markus created a poll asking which Protoss air unit was preferable. Naturally, some members liked the Carrier, while others wanted to keep the Tempest.

Keep the Tempest!

Many reasons were cited for keeping the Tempest in Starcraft II. The first, and most argued, was that changing back to the Carrier took away some of the innovation behind the new Protoss force. The Tempest was a Dark Templar creation with melee interceptors (Shurikens) heavily slanted to combat ground troops. With these unique ground shields, much more strategy would need to be applied to the Protoss air force in order to successfully win a game. By taking out the Tempest, players won’t be as forced to actually create a balanced fleet. Not to mention that Shurikens + Dark Swarm = supreme ownage.

According to these members, taking out the Tempest would send the Protoss further down the path in similarity to the original Starcraft. Carriers in the original, while iconic, were overrated. Plus, this is Starcraft TWO. New and exciting should be the name of the game.

The last main reason some wanted the Tempest to remain was purely superficial. These members liked the new name and design. There was nothing wrong with the smaller model, the melee interceptors looked sweet, and the ground shield was awesome. Bringing the old Carrier back would simply be boring.

Classic Carrier!

While plenty of members wished to see the Tempest remain in game, there were still lots of fans who were thrilled to see the Carrier return. To them, the Carrier was the classic icon of the Protoss race, and taking it out would be pure blasphemy.

These members also had quite a few qualms with the Tempest. They did not like the complete lack of air shields, nor the melee interceptors. To them, the regular shooting interceptors and Protoss shield were both perfect. As beBoy said, “there's really no need to reinvent the wheel.†Why fix something if it isn’t broken?

Tempests were also deemed awkward and too small to be a capital ship. Seeing a Protoss warship in 3-D is supposed to be awe-inspring, and the Tempest just didn’t make the cut. A larger, cooler-looking Carrier would do the trick just fine.

Middle Ground?

As in any debate, there were a couple of forum members who wanted to see some sort of compromise. These people liked the Carrier, but also recognized the need for change in Starcraft II.

They suggested that perhaps the Tempest could remain as long as a couple items were altered to make it more similar to the original Carrier. The Shurikens could be replaced by the classic interceptors, or a weaker air shield could be put in for instance. Alternatively, Carriers could be given multiple choices for interceptors (melee or ranged) or some sort of other, new special ability.

To these members, some form of Carrier + Tempest was the way to go.

Final Say

The ending poll ended up being somewhat of a landslide. Out of nearly 200 voters, 71.3% were glad to have the Carrier back while only 28.7% preferred the Tempest. In the end, the Protoss Carrier’s nostalgic feeling as a classic Protoss symbol seemed to dominate the forum’s opinion. The Tempest’s removal seems to be the right decision.

[img width=150 height=112]http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/104389/starcraft-2-carrier_qjgenth.jpg[/img]​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.