1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re: POLL: Carrier or Tempest?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by ninerman13, Aug 3, 2007.

?

Which would you like to have seen in Starcraft 2?

1. Carriers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Tempest

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Re: POLL: Carrier or Tempest?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by ninerman13, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Yeah, and you should really put some other stuff on it they aren't bringing back the scout that is for sure, and the reavers unless we whine enough!

2. burkid

burkid New Member

Nikzad, everyone has told me that lol.

3. beBoy

beBoy New Member

I'm happy that they will keep the wireframe and unit model of scrapped units (ie: Reaver/Tempest), cuz Tempest is just a blue carrier... looks good.

But, I do like Carriers more and there's really no need to reinvent the wheel~

4. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

I totaly agree with beboy you realy dont need to totaly remake units were you could say yea that was this in the other game. even goons slit into two diffent units

5. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

@ burkid - yeah I know
    that was kinda there to emphasize the sarcasm but it didn't work as well as I had hoped...I saw other places where you were like "PEOPLE HAVING BEEN SAYING THAT ALL OVER THE FORUMS" and I lawled

6. burkid

burkid New Member

yeah, im keeping the carrier in now because everyone told me to take it out. i probably would have if people didnt keep menitoning it.

7. I liked the tempests antiground shield as it added to the uniqness of the unit. With the carrier back as the all-around capital ship, the antiground shield should be given to the mothership to make it a specialized unit, it cant attack air so why not make it exceptional versus ground.

8. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Because most people are hoping the Mothership wont stay as and will be changed back to a super unit.

9. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Put carriers in SC2, the gold tint, the larger size, the namesake and all that good stuff.  BUT, give it tempest mechanics, hardened shield vs ground and mele interceptor. Is that not a desirable win-win solution?

I actually personally wanted the carrier/tempest to have no air attack but be made more accessible with lower tech/time/resource requirements.  If they are given a weakness but easier to get, I think Protoss players can incorporate them into their existing strategy more often.  The truth is, in normal games of SC1, you hardly see carriers much at all.  And even if you do see carriers, a majority of the time they are misused, and noobs who mass them get destroyed instantly once they lose them.

10. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I think the problem wiht making the carrier really foccused on ground based units and attacks is then the portoss would (as of right now) only have 2 air units that can even attack air and 1 of them is only good against really big units. That is assuming the melee interceptor can only attack ground.

What i think would be a good idea for carriers is give them an ok all around shield and give a choice between a hardened air or ground shield and also make 2 kinds of interceptors one melee one that can only attack ground and one ranged one that can only attack air. This would make the carriers more foccused but the ability to try and do both without overpowering the carrier because it wouldnt have anything that can attck both air ground which would divide its interceptors and the carrier as a whole, less powerful in both areas but with the ability to fight in both.

11. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I believe the current lineup of Protoss air fleet to be very well balanced and close to being self-sufficient. I think the phoenix is immensely powerful with its overload ability as AA, and a Protoss player can also afford to have many more of them around because they also the tactical air unit of the Protoss at the same time that they are primary AA. Since phoenix is both corsair and scout two-in-one, a Protoss player can can have them in numbers equal to corsairs plus scouts, while having benefits of both full-time.

And the fact that warprays are (only)powerful against high HP targets, I think is an added benefit and not a drawback. I think overload when used right can take care of almost anything in the air and warprays can take down anything that can't be killed with just overload.

Nontheless, you do have a good point, two air attacking air units do seem a little scarce. But I still think it's not that big of a problem. And if the MS is taken back to its former glory, that will make three, but I'm not really factoring that in.

All I want is for carriers/tempests to be more accessible than they were in SC1, so people can use them more often.

12. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I absolutely agree with you about them being more acessible. But i am curious do you think it would be overpowering the carrier if they just left it as is and just made it so you dont require a fleet beacon to build one?

13. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Well, I like carriers but I almost never mass carriers today.

14. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    @ LordKerwyn: Yes, I believe so. Even without going in for closer inspection, I think just generally speaking, moving a more-or-less balanced unit down the tech tree without taking something away would generally produce an OP/imba result. Especially with the current Protoss, as opposed to the SC1 Protoss.

I think if enough balance changes are done to carrier/tempest, perhaps it can even have a slightly lower supply cost. But no matter what, shrinking the unit size like what they did to the tempest is unacceptable.

15. StarCraft144000

StarCraft144000 Member

Tempest because Carrier makes me think of aircraft carriers.

16. Indigent

Indigent New Member

They don't carry air crafts. They carry probes. No one operate the interceptors. They are all machine.

17. burkid

burkid New Member

guess what interceptors are? Automated air craft. that means carriers have air craft.

18. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Okay. Fine. Air crafts= Interceptors

19. Proxy-serva

Proxy-serva New Member

20. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Carrier all the way... but the tempests ground shield isnt that half bad either so lets see what we got

Carrier Tempest
    -Large size (8psi) -Semi Large (4-6 psi?)
    -Air and ground shield -Superior anti ground shield
    -Ranged interceptors -Melee interceptors
    -High templar tech based -Dark templar tech based
    -Slow bro -More mobile

well if you read the previous discussions about the tempest it wasnt such a bad idea that they were made with the help of the dark templars and sacrificed a lot of stuff to be more efficient than they were b4 but now that carriers are back we can sum the differences up. So i will give the carriers 6.5point and 3.5 points for the tempest cost primarily they can be compared as aircraft carrier type units but the difference is that carriers are much efficient defending against air battles.. becoz technically you wont see much common back then carriers being manhandled by anti air ground units.. so the tempest are basically made to destroy base defenses while the carriers are made in a way that they can stand all possible threats to come may it be an air or ground type unit...

so there you have it..
    but this is just an opinion though,,, ^_^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.