1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re: POLL: Carrier or Tempest?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by ninerman13, Aug 3, 2007.

?

Which would you like to have seen in Starcraft 2?

1. Carriers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Tempest

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Re: POLL: Carrier or Tempest?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by ninerman13, Aug 3, 2007.

1. JudicatorPrime

JudicatorPrime New Member

Yay, nostalgia wins again!!! Seriously, how can you say the Tempest looks better when we haven't even seen the Carrier in 3D, last thing we have is some 2D thing that was out years ago.

2. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Yeah, I would feel beter deciding if there was a picure of the replacement and old in 3d. That is kind of why I chose tempest.

3. burkid

burkid New Member

people need to stop telling me this

4. cereal

cereal New Member

Tempest was great, but I always felt the carrier was too iconic to cut out.

5. Wrathbringer

Wrathbringer New Member

Hmm, I'm quite torn between the old school Carriers and the new Tempests. I like them both quite a lot in look and how they functioned (even the names), though the Tempest won it out in the end. I like the idea of bringing back my favorite SC1 unit back, but changed up a bit so that it plays differently. I like how it's weak against air (even though I hated it at first) since it adds character and it prevents people like me from maxing out my cap on these guys and proceeding to decimate the battlefield (NOT online, only in the campaign :p). With the Tempest I'm actually gonna have to field a balanced fleet so I can defend them from air threats, unlike the Carriers of yore.

Here's to hoping the Tempest wins out in the end!

6. mc2

mc2 New Member

I am feeling attached to the Carrier, it has been my favourite Protoss unit since I've started playing starcraft. The Carrier's interceptors look a lot better too. Tempest's interceptors are too small. So what I'm hoping now it to have the max interceptor for carriers to be increased to 12 just like the tempest was.

7. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Personally, I liked the Tempests for a few main reasons:
    1-I think the fact that they are smaller made them sexier, more... aerodynamic, so to speak.
    2-The fact that they lacked air shields meant that even more strategy would be involved, which is what i want.
    3-I hate carriers... they annoy me in melee.

8. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

why not include them both. ^^ protoss has the best air superiority after all.

and just axed the reaver. lol

9. Indigent

Indigent New Member

No more reaver..?

10. I liked how the tempest looked better than the carrier (though I havent seen what the new carrier will look like). The old intercepters were better than the melee ones and the large size of the carrier is better. The tempest was a more interesting unit because it had a specific and well-defined role (anti-ground), I think that role will be going to the mothership, given recent developments.

11. burkid

burkid New Member

the new carrier looks nice. its pretty much a bigger tempest with gold rather than grey. and actual interceptors.

12. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Do they have a picture? I would like to see any other pictures too, give a link or something or an actual picture if there is ASAP.

13. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Where can i find pics of the new carrier, and where did you guys read that the reaver got da axe?

14. Indigent

Indigent New Member

The home page, but they don't have any images, I'd rather have the reaver remodeled then axed though. I will miss you!!

15. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Lol k, damn, the reaver where key to fighting zerg swarms lol.

16. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

@Ghost, it's in one of Ych9's post under the Blizzcon updates I think on page 8 or 9. You can hardly see it though. Burkid saw it a few times, I saw one flash by for like a second. It seemed good but it was hard for me to tell cuz it was all pink 'n blurry, lol. So I'm gonna just have to sit back 'n be patient.

I personally love the idea of the Carriers coming back now; mainly because they preserved the Tempest model, but only applied the Carrier texture and color to it, which is fine by me. I simply adore the Tempest model, but felt that its role 'n size were just too awkward to not be made into a capital ship. Also, the Warp Ray seemed too specific/handicapped to replace the capital ship compared to the omnipotent abilities of the Carrier. So yay, cheers!

The Reavers are replaced by the Colossus now, which I'm also fine with. I think everyone loves the Colossus, myself included.

17. xasterothx

xasterothx New Member

definately carriers since they are the capital ships of sc original and they were made by the hight templar

but the cool thing is that the warp rays are now dark templar units :)

18. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Voted for tempests. Carriers were a not that great in SC1, not only do most people not use them correctly anyway, they were not the most accessible units because of their large cost in tech, food, and resources. I would have preferred a cheaper but weaker anti-ground focused carrier/tempest so they could be more accessible and actually be implemented into Protoss strats more generally and see more usage in multiplayer.

At first there was an amazing wow factor there for Protoss, everything felt incredibly in place and had a strong SC feel, yet there were so many cool new ideas that were so unique. But the emphasis on at first. Now the Protoss is looking more and more like a rehashed SC1 Protoss race. All the refreshing ingenuity is going down the drain.

Personally, I'm not nearly as excited right now as I was from the first day of announcement all the way up until the day before BlizzCon. I had an incredible amount of sustained excitement and interest, now I'm just annoyed. I hope they don't throw us cool Zerg ideas just to take it all away...

19. JudicatorPrime

JudicatorPrime New Member

Carriers look nice... nice and big, better than the Tempest

20. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

I agree with Remy, the protoss are going down the shit hole. I’m not too familiar with the star relic (all I know is that it cloaked units like an arbiter), but the protoss air force before all the changes were incredibly well done.

You have the phoenix, which was excellent at dealing with mass air, and the tempest looked like it was great at dealing with ground, while the warp-ray was the unit you would sick on stronger units. The Mother Ship was WOW, with a little twinks here and there it could have been upgraded to HOLY SH*T WOW. It was all so well done, and implied a lot of unique strategies. These changes to the protoss are the biggest disappointments yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.