1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pumping Zerg casters

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Overling, Sep 30, 2007.

Pumping Zerg casters

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Overling, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Larvitar

Larvitar New Member

OMFG, you really don't know?
    Dark swarm prevents range direct damage from hitting into the cloud, but units in the cloud may deal range direct damage only to outside the cloud. Splash damage will still hit, and spells casted will be unaffected. So 100 scouts get pwned by 25-50 hydralisk all under dark swarm.

2. Overling

Overling New Member

Yeah, perhaps I never applied it correctly. I usually take Defiler in a different group than my main units, so it stays out of danger. Putting it aside with the Zerglings would take it into the enemy base and face-to-face with melee attackers. I usually leave it one screen farther than the battle is at, and this way is troublesome to getting lings to it for consuming in middle of a battle. Doesn't your Defilers get often killed by being within your lings?

3. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

you should take more care micro-ing your defilers, you don't need to put it on the front line because its spells has good range, so put them at the back of your army

4. Overling

Overling New Member

Yeah, posting in forums is really enlightening. I just though of a way to counter that Protoss strategy that might work better than Guardians' harass: mounting a group of 2 Ultras in front, 16 Hydras in the back and a Defiler behind it all.

The Defiler uses DS on the way while the Ultras soak the Reaver damage. Upon reaching appropriate range, consume Hydras and Plague the Protoss front-line. With HP's and invisibility down, the Hydras might kill Reavers in time, while carriers and cannons won't do any damage to Hydras thanks to DS. Even if the HTs manage to Psy-storm the group and kill it, the whole front entrance will be severely damaged, enabling a more effective second attack.

So yeah, I just never used Defilers properly! And I do use Queens, Ultras and DS frequently, things I see few people using correctly. That's a very rare knowledge (proper consume and plague usage)! Thx

5. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Anytime you crack an opening on someone's choke/entrance late-game, I highly recommend cracklings. It still depends on the situation, but from the sound of it, your scenario seem to be that of a money map game vs a hardcore turtler. You should have full map control and the resources to pump cracklings to oblivion.

Once you take down most of the reavers, you don't even need to worry about anything air. Carriers and scouts won't be able to take down a flood of cracklings quickly enough, especially with defilers around. You don't even have to worry about psi storm, you'll see hi-temps go down one after the other in your kind of scenario. You can just pump lings all day and rally them all to the front. The only thing you should keep in mind is not to move the lings with the "attack" command. You got to force move them manually with the non-attacking "move" command. Once reavers are down, forget about what's at the choke, shove all your units inside. It's hard to lose against a turtler on a money map.

6. xasterothx

xasterothx New Member

this topic gives me an idea of zerg that channels psyonic energy into their victims and thus frying their brains to crisp

7. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

that sounds more like a protoss ability, the zergs should use biological spells

8. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    i dont know, the lore said that the overmind absorbed all the zel'naga dna it could be possible that one of his broods could of found a suitable creature that has enough mental capacity to use some of the zel'naga abilites, oh wait that was what the terrans were supposed to be, but who knows.

9. Overling

Overling New Member

Yeah, but what about new void related skills, like the ones the Dark templar use to divert light and be invisible? It could be very different from protoss or terran skills, like jamming detection. It would be fun to mess with the enemy's map and make it seem like you've got absurd numbers of units everywhere, thrashing the map's use of telling your current location.

The map would still show you moving, but along with it a huge number of dots and fake information. No idea of how to not make it a second hallucination tho, since the detection range is never that faraway.

10. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Well I certainly think that the Zerg are going to have some type of ability to "jam" the Terran sensor dome to fake attacks. It just seems like a great ability to me somewhere in there. You could simply make a few Zerglings look like a massive army with some type of ability...

11. timedragon888

timedragon888 New Member

No, jamming the sensor dome is for the protoss. For zerg, its more likely that the queen's parasite will do the same job.

12. Larvitar

Larvitar New Member

How about Zerg dead carcasses? Make it such that dead carcasses show up still on the sensors. That would confuss the sensors as the dead carcasses for Zerg pile up quite fast. Well, as long as that ST blasted the zerglings to hell.

13. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Only if there was a way to get rid of the carcases

14. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

i don't see how dead carcases will confuse a player in 1v1 games. you have to fight them to kill them so you should have direct vision around the area anyway. but in team games of ffa's it might confuse someone.

15. LxMike

LxMike New Member

Overling, to answer you, I must say the Defiler is the second most useful unit in stracraft after the scientific vessel(I am a terran user :p), I watch a lots of Chinese starcraft tournament like PGL Starcraft , so I can give you some tips with the defiler.

Defiler is useful in rush and in late games, actually every spell is used.

ok, so you have a problem with the protoss guy who build a big defense, well I'm sorry to say, but the Plague ability is not useful again buildings, it is used to weak group of unit ( major victims are Sc. vessel, Carrier, Corsair) Plague is used with hydralisk to kill enemy carrier formation and plague used on sc vessel (big group) makes scourge's job easier.

If you have problem dealing with his photon canon, well you can at least realize that none of his unit can came out. you should focus on attacking his secondary mines and take control of the resources in the same time blocking him inside his fortress (lurker+ hydra). you should also prepare to his carriers as he surely is building them inside. so you can start upgrading your hydralisk's attack and eat some zergling to get the defiler's energy ready. Control resources so you can send wave after wave of hydralisk at him.

But the key to win against protoss with zerg is kill them before they had a chance to build the hight tech building. Lurker+zergling+hydra(they act as cannon meat here)+defiler(dark swarm) is a deadly combo. Lurker have a AOF attack so they are not affected by the dark swarm, and protoss will rarely have any reavers on time consider they are rushing to get the observer(take lot of gas). Also, always brings overlord with your troupe-----if you done that fast enough, his HT will not have enough energy for the storm and luckily lurker take 2 psy storms to kill.

and I will stop here for today, but there are other tactic depend on how the adverser chose to do. Good luck

Edit: Corrected my grammar mistakes, sorry guys I was kinda tired yesterday night, so I didn't pay attention and made a bunch of stupid errors. I apologize for it.

Bonus 200 minerals for a great post.

16. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

great post lxmike :powerup:

17. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

great post lxmike, this guys what he is talking about

18. LxMike

LxMike New Member

should I open a new thread on Defiler's strategy or continue posting in this one, because there is a lot to write ;D

19. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

make a new link and share your defiler strategy with us ;D

20. LxMike

LxMike New Member