Protoss Tempest

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by coalescence, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Protoss Tempest

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by coalescence, Jun 13, 2007.

1. coalescence

coalescence New Member

www.sclegacy.com, but you will see the same as here.

2. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
  3. Heretic666)GC(

Heretic666)GC( New Member

Newfoundland
    I didnt want to read all 6 pages, so if this is posted already, im sorry for wasting your time.

At the begining of this topic, people were talking about how the tempest shields looked different (octagon pattern instead of round). If you watch the last scene with the archons, you will notice how a battle cruiser's shot doesnt effect the shields and hit the tempest direcrly. But the ground attack from the missile turret hit that octagon shield. I think it only protects the tempest from ground attacks, making it a more specialized unit then the carrier was.

4. SirBaron

SirBaron New Member

That might explain why it went down in one Yamato too.

5. Mike

Mike New Member

Seems like Tempests might be countermeasure for... hydralisks :). Remember how easy was to destroy Carriers with hydra + defilers? Supposing those will be back is SC2 (and I bet at least SOMETHING with dark swarm-like ability will appear), Zerg no longer would be safe under that orange cloud.. Those (blades?) Tempest is launching are likely to have melee type of attack -> Texas hydra massacre :)

[EDIT]

Actually, this would be fun :). Melee unit attacking other melee units which cannot fight it back - or can? I wonder if Blizzard is going to resolve it by unrealistic way I just described or by letting melee groun units attack this particular air unit.. (Heh, just had a few thought about that old Screamers movie - there were also robotic units attacking with built-in blades)

6. Heretic666)GC(

Heretic666)GC( New Member

Newfoundland
    I just read the article given by FlyingTiger. It says the Tempest's shield only activate against ground and it has slightly lass health then carriers (i dont kno if i read that last part of made it up :p). That explains everything. The one yamato kill. The air attacks that went through. And the ground attacks that made the sick looking shield go off.

7. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    haha my finding was only on page 4 :p

8. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    well in any case though, the shield would prolly quickly deplete if there were many hydralisks attacking it just like sc1

i think they going to make you utilize the phoenix and warp ray more to supplement the tempest in order to prevent some kind of mass tempest rush.

9. Mike

Mike New Member

I agree that Tempest won't be the type of unit you can simply amass and send without any support. However, the range of those blades seems to be greater then possible range of hydras (at least it looked like so in the leaked movie) - so fighting hydras alone, Tempests should be able to simply rape them. Of course, mutas would pwn Tempests alone..

Ah, well, it's all about combining units :)

10. LoserInLosing

LoserInLosing New Member

If tempests are ground effective, bring a couple of phoenixes and there's your ideal fleet

11. Associate

Associate New Member

the same strategy also applies with all other heavy air units like battlecruisers, and motherships, you just can't expect them to perform well without units to back them.

as for the tempests, if its true that their specialized shield only works against ground fire, then an air counter attack should prove useful to take care of them.

it seems like blizzard is concentrating more on introducing many unique unit protection abilities for the protoss side, like the immortal's hardened shield which works only if hit by heavy fire, now the tempest's, it should be interesting to see the new features they have added to the other sides

12. mc2

mc2 New Member

That would really put a lot of complications to the game. I mean a specialized shield that only works for certain attacks? I think this is better than dragoons, how's the cooldown for the tempest like? And they better not get stuck easily like the dragoon.

13. Mike

Mike New Member

Woudn't call it ideal :). Group of heavy air units would simply crush it - you'd also need Warp Rays. This, on the other side, would be quite deadly.. It's like having Carriers + Sairs and not having to worry about DSwarmed hydras :D

This would be true with mothership "fleet", but 12+ Battlecruisers could really kick ass on they own - stoppable, but quite deadly even on it's own, whule Tempest w/o support are dead meat

It actually looks like there is more and more microing involwed with every new thing we are getting to know. I hope majority of Zerg (and perhaps Terrans as well) units will be less specialized - more like "fire & forget"; something like "Yo, mutas, attack in small waves - 200 go left, 200 go right!"

Tempests are actually similar to Guardians - it's also a unit which is pretty much helpless again flying enemies (yet another example of unifying units for different races, grr).

14. Zerat

Zerat New Member

Hey
    after watching the new trailer and seeing the tempest my first thought was that it is bassed on the starship Andromeda from a tv show
    [img width=520 height=354]http://www.sf-fan-page.de/images/Andromeda%20Raumschiff.jpg[/img]
    what do you think ?

15. SirBaron

SirBaron New Member

There is definitely a resemblance between the two.

16. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

i really hope that they do not make more available upgrades, it makes it much more difficult when building an army with variety. and the same common shield is really cool. i like it. not everything has to be different.

17. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Tempest? I see Corsair.

18. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    Yeah dude...that picture is definitely a Corsair

19. bazzwano

bazzwano New Member

Is it just me or a shield only against the ground units a stupid idea, so it carnt attack air and now its defenceless against air... were the protoss to stupid to make the shield cover the whole ship??? what could their thought process have been "dont worry about having a shield for the top we dont need it because we got powerfull air attack" (they then change the attack to melee) then protoss then say " hmm i gess we should have used a full body shield " see my point??? this shield is stupid to me

20. Bullet101

Bullet101 New Member

The Tempest seems to be able to take ground fire like the Immortal is able to take heavy attacks, so it you take a mix of Tempests( To attract fire from Air defense ), Pheonixs, and Warp Rays ( to take our other air units, and to take out the high HP defenses). It might be a decent punch into a base.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.