1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protoss Tempest

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by coalescence, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Protoss Tempest

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by coalescence, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Pix

Pix New Member

The Tempest certainly doesn't seem to be making much of an impact on the base it is attacking in the video - but hey, we're still in development and there's probably some balancing work to come which will hopefully beef up the Tempest a little.
    ~Pix~

2. Gold

Gold New Member

they should give one drone out of every 5 the ability to bomb things, that would make things intresting

3. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet New Member

Well, the new "interceptors" seem to be melee units - If you look, you can see sparks whenver they touch an enemy unit (You can see this more clearly on the Battlecruiser in the final scene). This leads me to belive there are blades on the edges of these "interceptors". Such an attack would probably be more effective against units than buildings - Perhaps the Tempest is meant to counter large groups of Zerglings and the like, not destroy bases?

4. Pix

Pix New Member

...Gold, you're insane xD
    That would be... different... o_O
    ~Pix~

5. Gold

Gold New Member

prehaps, but i dunno, theres already a colosus, i think you may be right which can only mean one thing, the pheonix overload ability must be only anti air, other wise this whole mass killing of small units seems to be a little imbalanced from this position

6. Pix

Pix New Member

Perhaps the Tempest is good defensively against ground units... but good offensively against large swarms of air units?
    It seems to me like that's just the sort of angle Blizzard would take to deepen the strategic properties of their units.
    ~Pix~

7. Gold

Gold New Member

the difference between offenesve and defnesive is where your fighting,
    im not sure how a single unit can take that into account, how could it change its attack power when your attacking rather than defending, how does it know

8. coalescence

coalescence New Member

I think hes right about the meelee attacks but the one thing thats really stupid about the movie is; man, look at the range of the interceptors (looks larger than in starcraft 1) and he just flies them in range of his anti air... stupid!

9. Gold

Gold New Member

Intercepters with melee attacks im not so sure off, they should ahve low powered high rof chain plasma guns or something, that fits the whole image in my head.

im watching house in an hour, i love that show

10. Pix

Pix New Member

By "offensive" I meant their attack power.
    By "defensive" I meant their shields.
    So you'd perhaps read my previous post as:
    ~Pix~

11. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet New Member

I watched the leaked video again, and in the last scene, you can see a Protoss Tempest in the bottom-right attacking a large group of Marines. It seems to mow them down pretty quickly, but it's shields get burned up pretty quickly by their weapons... I don't think it would have lasted ten more seconds had the video not ended.

12. Gold

Gold New Member

lol sorry

tbh its role is going to be many, and one thing has become clear, there arn going to be any units that are specifically anti air or anti tank or things like that, i mean that each unit will ahve many different roles besides being jsut one thing.

13. Meloku

Meloku New Member

I apologize for earlier, here is the idea again.

It would appear that the tempest is strong against ground units, and very weak against air units. You can see a special type of shield that activates when a ground unit attacks it, the shield appears to only cover the bottom of the ship:
    [​IMG]

When a battlecruiser fires its' first shot against the tempest, it doesn't activate the special shield, and strikes the tempest directly. If you watch the trailer, you can see that this tempest in particular has not enguaged and lost its shield.
    [​IMG]

you can also know it is not an upgrade, as the shield is activating in the above shot. look at the bottom right corner where the missile turret strikes it.

14. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet New Member

...well, that seems to support the idea of Tempests being good at mowing down swarms of zerglings/hydralisks/marines...

15. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    Meloku said exactly what i thought its a shield to protect the sentitive underside of the tempest.

16. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Did you see the spinning, warp-gate looking thing in it's center? I bet (in the unit's eventual description) that it doesn't even house it's blade-fighters inside the ship. I bet it warps them in from another location whenever they're needed.

17. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    so if you look at the scan below, the description says that the shield for the tempest would only activate when attacked by ground units. it is vulnerable to air attacks.

[​IMG]

18. Oiyzas

Oiyzas New Member

So, the Toss now have the Tempest, Immortals, Soul Hunters, Stalkers, Zealots, Collosus, Reavers, and Dark Templar for fighting ground units. Where did all the anti-air go? Right now only the Phoenix(or whatever its called) and the mothership have anti-air capabilities.

Does this mean that Protoss are weak as a race to aerial assaults, or are they not revealing some units?

19. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    I hope no more additional units. It's aronud the right amount i think.

However, the stalker has great anti-air according to the the scans and the gameplay trailer, the immortals might be one (i'm unsure), the warp ray for capital ships, the phoenix for a general anti air, and maybe the high templar too (psionic storm?). The interceptors in the tempest probably can attack air units too i assume.

So i think it has pretty decent anti air.

Oh yea mothership too hehe.

20. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

where did you get the scan? can i download the magazine? is there any site with this magaazine on it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.