1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protoss Observatory

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by CaptainPicard, Oct 27, 2007.

Protoss Observatory

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by CaptainPicard, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Larvitar

Larvitar New Member

Well the building must lock on the power source lorewise to be able to affect it. That's the only reason I can think of why it only affects buildings.

2. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    But the Zerg building's power source would be the same as any biological unit, so if Zerg buildings are affected, then all biological units would have to be affected as well.

3. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    I'm with the people saying that the building needs no additional abilities. It enables the producing of observers and that's enough for me. Besides, if it would get another ability it would also have to cost more.

4. Larvitar

Larvitar New Member

Agreed actually. Just that an additional ability is worth thinking, but you are right...since the observatories in SC1 do not actually cost quite a lot.

5. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I think the main "theme" that sticks with the Protoss and makes them unique is the use of their Pylon power.

So why not say that once the Null Circuit is built, all pylons become detectors as well.

This would also provide a tactical advantage to the Protoss and allow them to build "detectors" anywhere on the map.

Don't say it's imbalanced because Protoss players already build pylons across the map as scouting stations. It would simply add incentive for enemies to destroy these buildings.

It would also give Blizzard a reason to weaken the damn pylons, as they should have done in SC1 to make it a strategic hinge for enemies to target pylons instead of the buildings being powered by them. So even if a player built 12 pylons for use as detectors, they would be relatively weak and be easy to take down.

6. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    I think that they already weakened the pylons significantly so the players would target them more in order to get the power down. And your idea is really good, just take detector away from the cannons and give them to pylons once the null circuit is built! I only wonder if the toss wouldn't have imba detectors then, since observers are cheap and pylons everywhere...

7. CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard New Member

I like that idea--the pylons become detectors to give added reasons not just to build them but also to attack them.

Another thing that the Pylons could be made to do, after some upgrade, is provide a slight bonus to shield power or regenerative capability. But, then again, the protoss shield may already be very fast at regenerating as state d in Q & A Batch 19.

8. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    They should change the shields back and implement the shield battery again and make it more effective/cheap. I think that the question why it isn't in the current game will be in the next Q&A batch.

9. Larvitar

Larvitar New Member

If you think about it, a lot of technology was lost when Aiur was lost. Dragoons were lost, arbiters were lost and a lot of other things (I think). It would not be surprising if the ability to build shield batteries was lost. Besides, for some unforeseen reason I think, due to new units and mechanics, shield batteries lost their effectiveness.

10. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Making pylons detectors over the ENTIRE map might be a bit much.  Perhaps just on a per base basis where it covers a contiguous psi field or has an area of effect

I like the idea though. I just stress that it does't HAVE to do detection. Counter measures are just as important

11. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I really don't think it would be imbalanced at all. Keep their original sight range, and just have it be a quality of the Null Circuit (or an upgrade).

Anything within power is within sight anyway, so its not like you're extending a player's vision, you're just making it extremely hard to cloak rush a Protoss player late game.

12. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I just suggested the range/contiguous region thing so you can still attack expansions with cloaked units.

If a player with an observitory can detect everywhere in his base then what is the reason to buy the cloaking upgrade? How will you use nukes?

13. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    By staying outside the range of the Pylon's power.

The pylon won't detect everything in its sight range. Obviously, the pylon's power field is smaller than its line of sight, and the detection only applies within the power field.

Also, a contiguous system might work, but it could become complicated.

Furthermore, you could take out this entire network by destroying one building. Rendering the player without any static detectors. And at this point, since they already have the building required for observers, mobile detectors will be available anyway.

14. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    That's a really good idea. There should be fan suggestions, like the Q&A batches. The administrators of various forums would collect a few of the best ideas every month or so and tell them to Blizzard. It's a shame to see so many good ideas go unnoticed.

15. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Pylons don't have to be detectors because they always have Phase Cannons near them, which are detectors. Even if you don't have Phase Prisms on one side of your base and you quickly need one there, they have been made mobile, so it doesn't really matter.

16. eclipse

eclipse New Member

this would greatly reduce the point of an arbiter's...err motherships cloaking ability and make them even more useless than before though. + why do you think observers are so cheap? =P

17. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    How does it reduce the MS's ability to cloak buildings? They only cloak your own buildings and the pylons can only reveal within their power range. So the enemy would need to build one right under your MS's nose.

This will only work in constructed positions...

18. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I personally like this idea especially since the only other detectors are the observer and the cannon the first takes a little while to get and the second is relatively expensive also this wouldnt remove the observers role as a scout or a mobile detector for your troops.

@Patuljak we do send our ideas to Blizzard here is a link to a rough draft of this months report. http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/index.php?topic=4021.0