1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Predator Scrapped!

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gasmaskguy, Nov 5, 2007.

Predator Scrapped!

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gasmaskguy, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

i think he read it too quickly, just because it now built at the starport doesnt mean it lost its transformation ability

2. eclipse

eclipse New Member

i agree with DE.50 with the fact that this ability should go to protoss. They switch the stasis orb to the cobra why not switch this? =P. Maybe the mothership would get an upgrade that allows it to stop half of air attacks but continue to not be able to atack air. And i do hope they make a unit named Predator since that seems more terran and is an interesting concept.

3. Ych

Ych New Member

Blizzard probably has created a unit that is more unique and cooler then the Predators to replace it.

From the looks of it now, I am wondering how the Terrans are suppose to counter mass Carriers + Phoenix.
    The only anti-air unit that the Terran has that can effectively counter the Carriers in SC2 are the Vikings. But with Phoenix support, Vikings would be out of the equation. Terrans don't have any ground to air unit that can effectively counter the Carriers in SC2. Before, I thought Vikings + Predators would probably do its job. But now that the Predator's axed, I wonder how the Terrans are suppose to counter that combo. I'm assuming the unit replacing the Predator is going to be related to anti-air.

4. C20

C20 New Member

Aye, they really, really need to do a new unit now.

If you ask me, we need both a new spaceport unit AND a new factory unit.

the factory unit could be some kind of vehicle, perhaps tank based, or mech based (Scrap the Thor?) with rockets as its weapons, able to fire limitedly at ground and full on at air, perhaps having a really low base damage value but gaining huge advantageous against large fighters and small ones against light fighters, and heavy ground mechs.

Fx, Missle Turrets attack speed, but only 4 base damage, with a +16 to Large fighters, +6 to light fighters and ground mechs. To counter it all it could be really slow. So sort of like a backwards Siege tank. If you get what I mean.

Edit: Oh, and maybe it should be able to attack one air and one ground at the same time ? I dunno.

5. headstock

headstock New Member

So.....

Will the viking be built from the starport, in airiel form? Not that it really matters i suppose..

But will the emphasis now be on its air mode? So when its built, its flying.. right?

Instead of how it used to be built as the walking mech from the factory.

I suppose it could matter... because it could give us an idea on which gap they intend on filling. Before the viking was initially ground, and turned to air later, but there was the predator.

Now the predator, and the viking might start as air from the starport, leaving a gap in the ground.

I know there is a gap in the air too, but you see what i mean.... Point is what role will be emphasised by the viking now? Because this might give us clues as to where the gaps lie.

The viking might be stronger in its air form now, it might have had changes made to make it a stronger air superiority fighter. The gap might really be in the ground forces now we dont know

6. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I head that the floating starport got axed, is this true? If it is, why did they get rid of it?

7. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

sorry i misread it
    im so not pissed that they kept the transform!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw

they did get rid of the floaty buildy fly-y starbasey thingy
    THAT MAKES ME MAD TOO
    WHATS THE POINT OF GETTING RID OF THAT BLIZZARD
    theres nothing imba about it is there!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!???!
    it was awesome useless cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    yeah, the floating starport got scrapped. I wa also disapointed by this, I really don't see how it would have caused issues in balancing.

9. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

simple really, you fly your starport near the enemy base where the terrain cannot be used for building (make sure the enemy cannot see you) and secretly mass an air force. Or you can place the starport some remote area where you'll never think of exploring and secretly build your force

10. TerranGod

TerranGod New Member

what...?

WHAT???

flying starport got scrapped!!!???

dam! i could have thought of more strategies with that!

but like Heavyarms2050 said...it is imba :\

im thankful that the predator got scrapped
    it looks like a star wars unit

the viking took the role so...they should put a new unit for the factory

currently there are only the seige tank and the cobra in the factory as far as we know

11. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    My bet is that the new units will be good for AA attacks while still being useful for ground assults. The terrans need a good AA unit since niether the cobra of siega tank are good against them.

12. LxMike

LxMike New Member

actually, the starport got scrapped because it was too OP, look mass flying buildings that can build Bc on the road are unstopable, plus the starport have a ability to recharge the energy of any terran unit, so think mass yamato ..

13. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    Then get rid of the recharge ability and make it produce units slower than when on the ground. Why would it even have a recharge ability, it doesn't sound like something the terrans would have in their arsenal.

14. LxMike

LxMike New Member

why not, they plugged the bd at starport to recharge it energy ;D

15. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

I still say that they're going to buff the banshees by giving it the ability to Aoe Air units. That would make it the perfect AA

16. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    That would make Banshees too good, since it also has cloak. It's like giving the SC1 Wraith a badass ATG attack. It can't have both cloak and be able to attack air and land, it has to be either one of them.

17. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    Isn't the banshee the wraith equivalent on the tech tree? The banshee will definitely be more useful than the wraith was, the wraith died too easily by ground defences. AG is much better to have is early game when the banshee will be available because most people don't build air units until late game, but by that point, the wraith would be outclassed by the later ships and disposed of easily.

AA will definately be needed against the terran banshee now that it has effective AG and can be build early in the game.

18. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    floating starport? as in a building that is constanly floating?
    i had never heard this.
    it can still lift off to relocate thought, right?

personally a floating building that can still produce units AND recharge engery AND can move is a little less than fair.

19. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    It can still lift off and reland.

Its origional design was that it would be able to float while still produce all available air units. It was also able to produce units while moving. I never knew this, but it could recharge all air units docked at it. If it was still in the game, I bet it would have cost a lot to upgrade the starport for mobile movement while in production.

20. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    Here I got a quick-fix duck tape solution to the loss of the Predator.
    Terran Raptor

The Terran Raptor is a combination of the Reaver and the Banshee and subsequently the Carrier. The Terran Raptor contains a cache of rockets built in manor similar to the Carrier's interceptors or the Reaver's scarabs. This cache can be replenished at anytime as long as the rockets can be bought with minerals or gas ( Not sure which would fit better.) until the cache is full. They would also have a normalized rocket archetype. The difference between the Banshee and the Raptor is that 1. They have opposite functions. and 2. They deal damage much differently.
    This brings me to my next and rather cool ideas for the Raptor. The Raptor would have three modes of attack for the missiles. They would be

Dual Guidance Mode: Launches two rockets at target( One from each launcher.) and cause normal damage for both rockets. Both rockets can travel only the normal distance to a target.

Lock-On Guidance Mode: Launches rocket at target and is propelled at faster speed. The Rocket travels farther than Dual Guidance rockets and can track the target an extended distance. Does normal damage when impacts.
    Both of these allow the Raptor to attack air units while

Normal Guidance Mode: This mode fires normal rockets not requiring to be built into the cache. These fire single and do normal damage at the normal distance. These are unlimited in quantity.

Thus, they have specialized modes for different situations. The build-only rockets can only be built with one type each. Subsequently the Raptor can only contain one type of rocket.
    I also have a good explanation for the name and why it has build-able rockets. The name comes from the Velociraptor dinosaur. The raptor for short is depicted to be a pack hunter from the Movie Jurassic Park. I liked this idea and though, I will expand. Thus, the Terran Raptor's rockets are stored as a cache or "pack" when they are launched they "hunt" the target down. With the lock-on ability it supports the pack sense. The reasoning for the missiles is that the Terran scientist have finnaly gotten a chance to investigate a few Protoss Carrier's and have built a system of building mechanics to construct missiles. ( Not small robotic drones as they are much more simpler.)

I had a bit too much fun with this idea. Still..

The more I type the more I like this idea.