1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Predator Scrapped!

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gasmaskguy, Nov 5, 2007.

Predator Scrapped!

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gasmaskguy, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

I think they're going to make a tank that very good against infantry and Air units

2. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Cool, more tanks. That sounds like a cool army, seige tanks, cobras, and this new unit idea. Making an armored army like that sounds intimidating to say the least.

3. marinefreak

marinefreak New Member

Australia
    There is always a chance blizz will replace the predator with a dedicated ground to air unit for the terran which is created at the factory. Preferably a mech unit like the goliath but slightly harder to kill to make up for its lack of ground protection.

4. Patlidzan

Patlidzan New Member

FOr the misin factory slot i think they should make some kinda flak unit it can only shot air but has a lot of splash that would be good against mass flyers like the valkyre

5. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    I would like for the factory to produce a AA tank that has splash damage like the seige tank does in seige mode. Tanks are my favorite weapon and a whole tank army would looks pretty cool.

6. LxMike

LxMike New Member

7. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Thats funny. The picture says ground to ground

8. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    @ LxMike, not really, never heard of it before. My idea was based of making an opposite of the seige tank, excellent AA but no AG attack, like the seige tank has excellent AG but no AA.

9. LxMike

LxMike New Member

It is not my creation but I use it because I like the multi-rocket design. instead of ground to ground , it could fire the missles in the air like a land valkery

10. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    So it would be like a portable SAM, except it wouldn't run out of rockets.

11. LxMike

LxMike New Member

yup ;D, I even think we sould be able to switch betwin portable sam, or deploy to get a weak aoe ground attack taht can counter the zergling rush (we have big zergling army now) , because the siege tank's cooldown was looooog

12. Trooper_Lozer

Trooper_Lozer New Member

i really am only depressed by the fact that this unit looked awesome and had an awesome name. i like the intercept ability, and i think it could have been a usefull unit, if used with other units. Of course as mentioned before, if this unit is scrapped because blizzard thought it was not useful, then i gues it is not useful. anyways this decision is not final and may change. I would sort of like a new unit called the predator, that would make me happy =)

13. Thalion

Thalion New Member

I like look of Predator, too, but its ability wasn't fit its name. Point Defence is defensive ability while every Predator ATTACKS.
    So what?
    Cloak? Sure. It may bring us back old friend Wraith, just killing flyers only. With Banshee they'll be nice team.
    or even better
    Damage evasion. Predator would be so swift and agile that it can outmaneuver many (say eveasion 40% of incoming damage) of laser rays, missiles, photon cells and so on. Take bunch of Predators and then hunt with them enemy fliers like with pack of wild dogs ;)

14. Shadowdragon

Shadowdragon New Member

Maybe the Blizzard play testers discovered that massed Vikings is a better idea then a more micro-intensive AA only unit.

Why would you need to intercept defenses when you can just bypass them all together, then bring in the big guns when the air defenses are down? I mean, its great in theory, but let’s face the harsh reality:

1. Most players aren’t all that heavy into intensive micro
    2. Most players don’t care much for any real strategy at all (case and point, unlimited resources, no rush max)
    3. The predator involved both heavily.

It’s the odd man out...

On the bright side, a new factory unit should prove intresting.

15. Anubis_theDark

Anubis_theDark New Member

Though a verry interesting design the predator had an abillity that would go better for a protoss unit not a terran, while it only had an AA attack. Considering that in the first SC the link unit would have been the wraith i think the predator kinda suckt. I know SC 2 is all about changes and i fully support that, but the wraith was a great terran unit and if something is not broken than why fix it. I really think the wraith should make a comeback. Also the cobra is an awsome unit - probably the best looking terran unit at the moment, and it's new role as a support unit is great - so i say the cobra stay. As for a third mechanical unit for the terrans - well make the thor smaller, decrease hp/armor/dmg , and give him a siege mod where those back cannons become A-A defences (this way the goliath concept would make a return in a way), with significant dmg ( i'd say 8 dmg per cannon - has 4 cannons ) and long range ( same as missile turret ). That way the thor gains a new role, and the beloved wraith makes a comeback.

16. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    I think if they end up putting this unit back in they need to rename and remodel it. They should rename it the Interceptor (duh)....except that the Protoss already have Interceptors....they should change the name of the Protoss Interceptors to Predators since they swarm in and attack the enemy like a pack of wolves.

While the model does look tight, there is no way that I believe that it is a relatively inexpensive air unit (it is the first attacking air unit you can get from the starport), or that it is relatively weak fighter. It is too big and bad ass looking compared to a unit like the banshee, that looks kind of weak. Maybe it could look a bit like the wraith, except instead of the lower mounted laser it would have a revolving half sphere on its belly. This half sphere would have like 3 laser turrets on it that when the sphere spins around would be able to target and negate air to ground attacks (excluding bullets) from hitting anything in a small area. It wouldn't be able to more or attack because it takes a bunch of the ships computers and energy to target these oncoming missiles.

17. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    I like this idea, but instead of doing 8 damage they should do 4 and have splash damage, basically they would be 4 flak cannons that would have a fairly high rate of fire and be able to devastate small massed air units.

18. terranupmyheart

terranupmyheart New Member

hm this sucks, hopefully a new unit will arise

19. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

dont double post

THIS PISSES ME OFF
    the shouldn't get rid of the vikings transform!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    you cant really mass with it because it gets crushed (not imba)
    its NOT overpowered
    its NOT overspecialized
    its NOT a crappy lookin unit
    the only problem with it i see is that its under specialized!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    which actually isnt really a problem (take the carrier/bc/muta/hydra)
    im soooooo pissed....
    THEY SHOULD AT LEAST KEEP THE PREADATOR
    the coolest looking unit starcraft has ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    how could they do this to me!?!?!?!?!??!???!?!??!?!???!?
    what the f*ck!??!!?!?!!?

20. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    Where did it say they are? From what I've read, they got rid of needing an upgrade to transform, so now they can do it with no technology improvements.