1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

posts and minerals

Discussion in 'Forum Information, Questions and Feedback' started by BnechbReaker, Sep 14, 2007.

posts and minerals

1. moobox

moobox Member

That's what I meant coreyb, sorry if I didn't make it clear enough. After reading my post again it isn't the best explanation, but you're right and that's what I was trying to explain lol

2. coreyb

coreyb Guest

Ohk sorry for that so iff You , me or anyone else has a worker , SCV and/or probe , we get more mineral's for our word's and post's?!

3. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    To control the ever increasing inflation of minerals and spammers getting rich, there should be a limit that must be reached to get money for your posts.
    Here's the deal: you will only get minerals if your post contains at least 100 characters (about 20 words). Once you've passed that, you get 0.05 minerals for every character, which is very generous (10 characters getting you half a mineral? that's a lot).

Having a character as the base unit makes it fair with people who know longer/more precise words that can express their ideas more accurately, I think it'd be a logical improvement from the current system. Short posts would not get you minerals but that's not bad if you think about it: you can spam a little without being accused of doing it for the minerals (by spam here I mean the "good idea" and similar posts). And even if you post a great idea in only a few words, you can be rewarded with respect/a powerup/a bonus. Another advantage of this system is that if someone wants to spam as much as to get minerals, it's easier to spot. Now as far as I can tell, item bonuses come weekly, so even people who don't post long messages would get minerals, just not that much and not that often but still way more than before.

I came up with this idea because it's quite shocking to see minerals losing value so rapidly. The new system would encourage thrift and "business development", like investing in an item just to get that extra 100 minerals.

I know I like my idea ;D but I would like to see your opinions on this.

4. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

yeah it's a good idea, i've long said that posts should only earn minerals when they reach a certain length

5. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Without wanting to offend the author, I'd like to bring up a typical example of what I was referring to by "spam". They are not literally spam but they don't contain relevant information from the topic's point of view:
    ps this post contains about 450 characters including this... so even a much shorter post would give you minerals.

6. josh

josh New Member

In Our House
    I like kuvasz's idea. That could incourage longer and more relevant posts and decrease spam counts on the forums.

7. coreyb

coreyb Guest

Yeah people PM'd me a month ago that I spam and be annoying , I have tryed to cut back down on it , well try not to do it at all! , please say iff I am or ain't spamming and/or being annoying! :) , thankyou and I also won't take offence unless it has been posted directly and seeking to offend me , I would like advice! , thankyou! :)

8. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    All I have to add to this is that I've noticed a steady increase of people posting the whole webpage and not even including their own point of view which is relevant to the topic. These type of posts are simply to generate minerals and I find them annoying as it isn't exactly hard to click on the webpage.
    All that needs to happen is a mod should delete the text from the original post if there is no relevance to information coming from the person's view. If he has no view on it warn him to edit or the topic gets deleted. Locking the topic doesn't do much since they still get the minerals.
    I will start pointing out these topics and posts a lot more frequently as it is unfair for us who follow rules and are humble about earning minerals.
    When you see posts like these alert a mod to it so action is taken, simple.
    Kuvasz's idea could also be put into place if mods cannot spare the time to warn the offenders.

Also if you want to source from a site just pick out the most relevant parts of the sentence and add your views on it, ItzaHexGor is a nice example of someone who picks out relevant information to add his views on them instead of pasting a big chunk of text with added views at the bottem where you can't even tell exactly what he is relating to. It isn't hard.

9. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Please report these posts and the correct actions will be taken. That's what the function is there for. :D

10. BinaryBanshee

BinaryBanshee New Member

All I have to add to this thread is that I think it's way too secret how people can actually earn minerals. Bonuses are not given out regularly enough for non news items (even when reported to mods to look at), and it's difficult to know exactly what gives you minerals. The shop FAQ doesn't mention you can get minerals from playing in the arcade (does that still happen? last time I used the arcade it didn't).

There's also nothing mentioned officially anywhere about people getting minerals for pet ownership. Does that still happen? How often and how much? Because it's not public knowledge it sometimes feels like there's a mineral elite and newcomers can't really get into the "club" to start buying pets and collectibles to customise their profile. There's also something about a lottery but I can't work out how it works.

Also, what is the Hyperion club?

11. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    The Hyperion is a group into which contributing members are inducted by invitation only.

Minerals are no longer given out for performance in the arcade because it was abused too heavily.

Also, I give out plenty of bonuses sporadically for good posts. Unfortunately I cannot force other moderators to do the same, but they are strongly encouraged. However, I can't view every thread on this forum. Reported posts go a long way toward helping with that, but often the reported posts aren't the ones worthy of the mineral bonus.

:D

If you think a post is good in any number of ways, insightfulness, creativity, something you would give a power up for, please report it. :D

12. BinaryBanshee

BinaryBanshee New Member

Thanks for the explanation, and for rewarding good posts. I think it helps stimulate the community 8)