1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll : Mothership

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by LordKerwyn, Aug 4, 2007.

?

What do you think should have been done with the Mothership?

1. The Mothership should stay the way it was in the original gameplay video.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It should stay a superunit you can only have one of but with minor balancing changes.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The Mothership should stay the way it was shown at blizzcon.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The Mothership should be completely scrapped and a new unit built to take its place.

100.0%

Poll : Mothership

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by LordKerwyn, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Quanta

Quanta New Member

Well I said something about this in a similar post but I'll say it again, hopefully in a more fluid manner.

The idea of an ultimate unit for the protoss was appealing to me.  Protoss have been the race that specialized in a few expensive but powerful units.  The Mothership seemed to be the colmination of this trend.  It would emphasize the difference between the Protoss strategy and the strategy of the Terran and Zerg, and I feel anything that increases the uniqueness of each race is an excellant idea.

I do agree that the Mothership seemed to be overpowered but I do not feel that justifies such a drastic nerfing.  Stripping it of two very powerful abilities and making into an expensive arbiter with some offense abilities and making it a normal unit seems to be going overboard.  How exactly to balance it would be another discussion all together and probably couldn't be properly discussed until the Zerg have been announced and a feel for how the three races intract established.

So if you haven't guessed by now, I find myself in the keep as ultimate unit but tweak for balancing camp.  The concept was sound and could be made practical.  I certainly hope Blizzard undoes these changes and finds another way of making the Mothership work.

PS, I think I'll throw in my idea on how black hole could have been balanced. Anything that could completely wipe out an entire fleet if it were tightly packed is a overpowereed but I think there was a simple way to fix it and maintain its feel. Instead of having it kill anything it touches have it do damage and any ship recieving enough damage from it to die should get sucked in. If a fleet of undamaged BC's get hit by a black hole they should get hurt but not destroyed. If some of the BC's are damaged enough they should get eaten. Undamaged but low hit point ships like observers or scourge, assuming they return, should also get sucked up. Whether non capital ships like banshees or mutlalisks get eaten or how damaged captial ships need to be before getting eaten would be a matter of balancing.

2. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Kind of reminds me of Poke'mon where you throw a Poke'ball at something and it gets captured if it's weak enough. Funny way to think about it...

3. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Thats a rather odd but a good comparison of ideas ^^^.

I do find it interesting there is as many people who would just as well trash the mothership as there is poeple who would leave it how it is. (I am glad though that the majority would like the mothership to stay as a super and be tweaked rather than be kpet as is or trashed)

4. wukwinn

wukwinn New Member

I'd rather Blizzard had not introduced The Mothership to begin with. But since they did, I'd prefer that they had kept it a superunit. Turning it into a regular unit just threw off the entire balance of the game. They turned it from a Superunit, to a super strong unit.

5. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Lol, welcome to the forum? Does 14 posts count as a welcome? Or did someone greet you already?

6. string_me_along

string_me_along New Member

bah, I'm at 28 and nobody welcomed me.

I is lonely!!!!! jking! hahaha.

7. Mikosz

Mikosz New Member

Orginal MS was fine..

They should make Blackhole a AA AOE.. that ticks hp and if it destroyed sucks enemys in :) 2xAOE Bubbleshild and Those nasty missles, very nice but make it cost like 1000/800 and use 20 slots :) i still see no problem to whack it off the sky. As it was reaaallly slow :] And take cap off, i dount anyone will build more than one with such a prize :D

Of course u have to research specials :) Nasty late game hammer, but hardly OP...

And for OP units Pheonix is one, i heard they are able to win all by themselves....

8. BaneOfHumanity

BaneOfHumanity New Member

Personaly I dont want to see any "superunit" for any race...simple fact is these "superunit" will be akin to heros in WC3 and we dont want that...

I like the fact that they nerfed it alittle and gave the ability to produce more than one as starcraft should be....The blackhole ability looked nice and all but I think it was overpowered...

9. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Eh a super unit might be like a WC3 hero but protoss are all about a few big powerful units and if you follow that philosophy to the end come up with a single really powerful unit. (Also the Mothership would never end up like heros in WC3 because you got heros early game and used them nearly the entire time while the Mothership is a late game unit you would use to put the final nail in you oponents coffin)

10. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Leave it as a super unit but fix minor balance issues and clarify on some of the skills.

11. Tibalt[terranz]989

Tibalt[terranz]989 New Member

I am afraid for the future of this game if they include the Mothership. Just makes SC2 another WC3. I hated how the Heros affected the game and Im not happy about the Mothership. I dont want the other races to get their own super unit either. It makes the game about the unit and not about the army.

12. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I dissagree Tibalt only one race would/should get a super unit and the reason is it follows the prtoss theme perfectly "A small number of really powerful units" also in WC3 you where using heros throughout the entire game while the Mothership is a really late game unit.

13. Tibalt[terranz]989

I can see how it makes sense for the protoss but I still think it could be imba and takes the focus off of strategy and puts it onto a race to get the uber unit.

14. Ych

Ych New Member

Mothership and Heros in Wc3 are 2 totally different things. I will state out all the reasons why they are different.

1. You can get a Wc3 hero right off the bat at NO PRICE. Motherships are available at the end of the tech-tree.

2. Heros level up. The more level you get, the stronger you become. Not only does your HP/damage increase, but you get to upgrade your spells making them more powerful. Motherships have no way of leveling up.

3. Heros can carry items like healing potions, mana potions, or any self boosting items. All these items also make the heros even stronger then ever. Mothership has no capability of carry any self boosting items.

So no, they are totally different.

15. burkid

burkid New Member

another point: every hero is a ground unit. the Mothership is aerial.

16. Tibalt[terranz]989

I agree they are not the same thing as Heros. What I mean is that they focus the game on a single unit instead of using all the different units in the game. I didnt say they were going to be just like Heros in every single way.

17. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    While the for a protoss player might drift tworards the mothership near the end of a game if it is that players entire focus he is gonna be dead before he can make unless he has and still by itself the mothership is not strong enough to do anything other than assult an off base or provide defense on a certain area of the map.

18. string_me_along

string_me_along New Member

at this point, the mothership would be something nice to have, but who's going to spend all of those resources at the end of the game on it for just a little extra boost? Just doesn't seem like it will be that useful.

At least arbiters were relatively cheap compared to the mothership. Or carriers for that matter.

19. Mikosz

Mikosz New Member

Yeah !

Make it BIG make it NASTY make it... expensive like hell :)

20. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

It should be a super unit. I know it needs to be balanced but protos haveing a super unit just fits their style. The thor fits the terrans with heavey hiting guns and the zerg should have a unit or building to help them swarm like crazy