Poll: If carriers got another ability you would want.....?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by LordKerwyn, Aug 7, 2007.

?

If carriers got a new ability which ability would you like the most?

1. The carrier should not get a new ability.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The carrier should get a choice of abilities that take the place of interceptor slots.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The carrier should get the ability to kamakazie after it meets a certain requirement.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The carrier gets a choice of a single upgrade. (Like the Battlecruiser)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The Carrier should just get a single basic reseached upgrade that applies to all carriers.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. The carrier should just have a choice of interceptors.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Poll: If carriers got another ability you would want.....?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by LordKerwyn, Aug 7, 2007.

1. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I still think the Carrier needs something "new." And simply giving it a new ability isn't really enough.

I know the Battlecruiser is still sticking around, but that was such a staple Terran unit and their only large air unit. I'm thinking that with the Mothership and the Tempest the Carrier needs to find more of a specialized niche.

2. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    In my opinion the Mothership really needs to be turned back inot a super unit and it would instantly fix this problem of overlapping roles expecially since the mothership would most likely be more ability based while the carrier is more firepower based not to mention if a super unit mosthership is anything like it is right now it will probally be much better at assulting ground units/stuctures than dealing with air units while the carrier will hopefully keep its more general role.

3. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I think versatility is key to keeping the unit fresh and interesting. In the original game a carrier was a carrier and a battle cruiser was a battle cruiser.

Now the Battle cruiser is either a building leveler or an infantry burner so the carrier needs choices too on an individual basis. I can't think of anything better than multiple interceptor types.

The carrier and battle cruiser are capital ships their design needs to reflect this make them powerful make them versatile.

4. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Sry Kerwyn, didn't correctly state my opinion there. I'm all for the MS being the super-unit it once was.

I just meant that with other large capital ships around like the Tempest and MS (super or not) the Carrier needs to specialize a little in order to not be redundant.

The Tempest is an ATG unit. the MS is supposed to be vulnerable to air but is still in itself specialized because its a shock absorber of sorts. The Carrier is kind of in between.

BTW: Does anyone know what the supposed "Terran answer" is to the MS? Are they going to have any sort of super-unit if the MS goes back to its original state?

5. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I think the carrier and tempest are mutually exclusive and from the looks of things the carrier is gonna stay and the warp ray is going to be the dark templar capital ship. (Thats why i never mention it and i really do hope the carrier stays it is ust tp iconic of a Protoss unit)

I absolutely agree about the versitility topic but i think the carriers versitility should be defensive absed because the battlecruisers is offensive based.

EDIT: The terran answer in my opinion is gonna be the same answer the had for carriers. (alot of battlecruisers with yamatos)

6. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    The answer is yamato cannon.

The MS as the ONLY super unit is one of those things that creates racial differences that ake Starcraft fun because NOTHING has an equicvalent in the opposing army

How are the carrier and tempest mutually exclusive they are the same thing only difference is the shield and what they launch. I myself liked the Tempest's asthetics (minus the impossibly small launch bay or lack thereof)

7. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    (From what i have seen) The Protoss are all about there big heavy units and extreme technology. The Terrans are about defense, range and adaptability to there situation. And im guessing the zerg as always will be about the numbers.

EDIT: I need to see these post faster. The fact the carrier and the tempest are essentialy the same (But not actually the same they a little bit different theme) unit is why they are mutually exclusive.

8. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Yes that is exactly it.

They also correspond to the 3 basic strategies one of the reasons 3 races is enough no overlap

Terrans=Turtle
    Zerg=Rush
    Protoss=Boom

Oh so what you are saying is they are exclusive bcause you don't want two units that are the exact same thing?

9. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Eh the Terrans arnt just about turtleing they have alot more adaptibility than had in SC1 and i think this will change how they play a little. (The Protoss seem nearly the same and the zerg well....... we can only wait and see)

EDIT: Again lol. Im saying there mutually exclusive because they are nearly the same unit with different themes (so they are really different units) and you dont need 2 mass producable carrier units that are just effectivelly Protoss capital ships.

EDIT: Even though i think it could be an interesting and maybe really good idea if they put the tempest back in the game with 6 shurikens max and make it a low tier air unit (like the warp ray) and then make the carrir about as powerful as it was in the old game and then it some new abilities so there is obviously to different tiers of carrier esk units and that might make (atleast the tempest) them oth used more often but in different ways.

10. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    They aren't restricted to one strategy. No race is what I am trying to say is the racial mechanics are more conducive to certain strategies.

Terrans have the best defensive buildings:
    Bunkers are versatile and can fire at multiple targets planetary fortress allows for better worker defense radar dome gives you foreknowledge of attack. Siege tank makes for good fire-bases with its range.
    TURTLE

Zerg can get units the fastest
    Zerg are build in batches of up to 3 per hatchery and lings come with a 2 for 1 special. Transport and detector are the same unit so you can focus more on the attack units.
    RUSH

Protoss can expand the fastest
    One probe can build a whole base since they warp in so you can drop in a nexus and and all the supporting pylons in less time than the others would take to get their expansion set up. Phase prisms allow mid game 'toss to build cannon and production buildings before the pylon grid is even active as well as send in reinforcements for the base.
    BOOM

11. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Ok i see what your saying i have been typing faster than i have been thinking and i am sorry if i sounded a little harsh with my post. ( But i do think adaptibility should be counted as one of the Terrans or atleast refined strengths)

12. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

To crash like a kamikaze, like Tassadar's Gantrithor.

gantri-THOR .... already ! ;)

13. PainKiller

PainKiller New Member

Kamikaze is not Protoss style! I know they will gladly give their life for Aiur, but They don't waste good soliders and big ships just to make some explosions.. no thanks. Not Protoss at all..
    Tassadar had to do it though :-\

14. Yrcrazypa

Yrcrazypa New Member

I picked the option that allows you to do things in place of interceptors. It would be pretty cool to have some carriers that have healing interceptors instead of damaging ones, maybe they could just recharge shields to be more balanced. Kind of like a mobile shield battery.

15. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I dont think the kamkazie is meant to be a main ability more of a last ditch move before the carrier is destroyed and i personally wouldnt imagine it doing much than infested terran did even if it implemented.

16. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

i think maybe a skill like "Psy wave"

-its gonna be a knockback skill for about 2 squares, in that way the carrier will be slightly away from harms way and since iterceptors are long range mechs it can still attack those being deflected..

or maybe something like an expendable weapon sort of like the Reavers' scarab attack... now we can say the carrier isnt just a fleet ship but actually means what it says.. ^_^

i wouldnt even think of suicidal carriers.. but since their big maybe a small amount of debree damage for ground units and structures when one gets destroyed..