1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: If carriers got another ability you would want.....?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by LordKerwyn, Aug 7, 2007.

?

If carriers got a new ability which ability would you like the most?

1. The carrier should not get a new ability.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The carrier should get a choice of abilities that take the place of interceptor slots.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The carrier should get the ability to kamakazie after it meets a certain requirement.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The carrier gets a choice of a single upgrade. (Like the Battlecruiser)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The Carrier should just get a single basic reseached upgrade that applies to all carriers.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. The carrier should just have a choice of interceptors.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Poll: If carriers got another ability you would want.....?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by LordKerwyn, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Aside: Why do you write your posts in bold?

I chose the carriers not to get a new ability but if you REALLY HAVE TO give it one, I'd say the different interceptors to give the carrier an option sort of like the BC has now.

2. JudicatorPrime

JudicatorPrime New Member

I voted new Interceptors.. but anyway, KAMIKAZE TASSADAR STYLE!!

3. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    Thinking on it now I'm beginning to like the phrase "If it ain't broke don't fix it." or w/e it is. Seems like the Carrier performed fine in SC1 maybe tweak it a bit here and there, but, if we want the Carrier to stay we need to let it remain the Carrier not Carrier 3.0 With Exploding Core Reactor Templar or Carrier now with new Interceptors! contradicting myself here from earlier, but, really I mean if they maybe upped the damage a bit on interceptors would we really need anything more? Just a new thought. :p

4. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I origainally wasnt suggesting a radical or really poweful change just something to make the unit fresh again besides the new model.

5. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    To tell you the truth, I don't think ANY of the units should be totally the same from SC1 into SC2 and certainly not a late-game unit like the Carrier. It needs to be changed.

Either an attack needs to be completely different or it needs to be completely revamped, but we can't have the same style of play that we had from SC1 and still keep us interested.

6. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    The carrier doesnt need to be completely changed just given something thats changes its stylee of play a little bit like the zealot charge. Some units just shouldnt be changed drasticly..........

7. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I didn't say it needs to be completely changed, but it had better be pretty different from SC1. I don't want to see the same unit with no extra abilities flying around. If a unit is going to stay in this game, it had better evolve.

They should be able to do something crazy, or get rid of the interceptors in some way. Create a different way for them to attack. Make the interceptors for defense of the ship only and use those powerful planet-destroying weapons they always talk about that they use to eradicate Zerg planets.

8. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    While i love the way your thinking (Im a big carrier fan) the balance of any change needs to be takin into account.

The carrier is already one of the most powerful units in the game. Any upgrade the carrier recieves without a cost needs to be well thought to avoid overpowering the carrier. And any upgrade that comes along with a downgrade needs to make sure the downgrade is worth the upgrade because if it isnt it can quickly overpower or underpower the carrier.

(as always these are just my opinions)

EDIT: I tried to rewrite some of my post i hope thats more clear.

9. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Sorry, Kerwyn, but I really didn't understand your post... could you rephrase that?

10. DontHate

DontHate New Member

i have this idea, since the reaver is gone. the carrier can produce scarabs, and they blow up like the reaver's scarabs. it would sort of be like the battle cruiser's plasma torpedos i guess.

11. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Yes but the plasma torpedo was an extension of the yomato cannon. There is obviously going to be some Protoss counter for the battlecruiser, and it will probably be the Carrier. I would assume they're going to change the Carrier's tactics.

I'm thinking they might go for a little bit more of a graphics-saver and reduce the appearance of the interceptors... like use them only against air targets, etc...

12. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    yea thats what i was going at with the interceptor kamikazes except its a bit less damage (~50) and has a cooldown rate lets say 8 seconds and interceptors are still the usual 25 minerals. The ability will be researched for prolly 200 minerals and 200 gas.

It'll balance out too since the carrier will be more vulnerable with fewer interceptors. So it's a trade off.

13. Arachanox

Arachanox New Member

Here's an idea. The Carrier can produce two different types of units. The first, is your standard interceptor, no major changes at all. The second option, for a price of maybe 200 minerals or so, would be for the Carrier to spew out about 10 or 15 little bomb probes. These little dots would spread out in a wide fashion and then lock on to nearby enemy air units. Then, they would explode. You don't build these probes in the Carrier individually, just pay 200 minerals, get the whole batch, and then manually release them with a command button.

14. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    The protoss counter for the battlecruiser is the warp ray with ability to do more damage over time while the carrier (atleast in SC1) was more of a finisher unit that was strong at nearly everything it. (besides fighting its counters of course)

EDIT: i like the idea Arachanox but that kind of ability would make the pgeonix nearly obsolete because it would likely be used against a swarm of weaker air units.

15. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I didn't mean a tactical counter to the BC, I mean a unit that sort of.... resembled it.....

BC = Carrier
    Valkyrie = Corsair
    Wraith = Scout

etc.....

Also, I like the bomb idea, so long as you have to BUILD those bombs and they don't appear instantly. I dislike anything in a new game like this that gives you instant gratification. A large part of the appeal of SC1 was that even if you're poor you could still do significant damage if you spent your money well. Giving an advantage to the richer player seems a little foolhardy.

16. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Aw i see what you meant now Joneagle but to make the carrier more of a unique unit rather than a different kind of battlercruiser any new ability should be more defensive.

Also so far SC2 seems to make the prtoss units hard to ill the terran units adaptable siege/aoe units and im guessing the zerg are still gonna be swarmers from hell.

17. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Sorry for the double post but its to bring this thread back to the front page because the poll has been changed.

*I have modified my original post to show how this thread weas changed.*

18. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Yay First new voter. I couldn't help but notice the misspelling of my name. Try to remember it has an E not an A.

I think we need a choice of interceptors but other options that take up interceptor slots would also add to the versatility.  I made a page about my ideas that most of you have seen already I am sure

I always liked the hardened shield of the Tempest and I think it should return in some form weather basic an upgrade or as a module as I have described.

Here's a link if you have not yet seen it.
    http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/index.php?topic=2289.0

19. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Sorry about the mispell and i do agree about the hardened shield and i think in general if the carrier got a new ability it should be more defensive based to try and stay away from the battlecruiser while still following its example.

20. string_me_along

string_me_along New Member

My personal preference would be for an increase in the possible number of interceptors and for an extension of the range of the carrier. They would be relatively minor tweaks, but I think that it would help the carrier immensely.

That or some sort of defense against scourges.