1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phase Cannon No Longer Phasable

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Psionicz, Apr 17, 2008.

Phase Cannon No Longer Phasable

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Psionicz, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    Ok well heres me idea on how the new cannons should work.

1. the cannons increase the range of each other when in close proximity to each other.

2. they increase the power of each other when in proximity to each other and yes it stacks. This would work by having a cannon identifying an enemy and telling the others (cannons that can reach each other) to send it their power. It would work by having two types of beams the regular and more powerful. The regular are thin looking and look like the colossus current attack accept only 1 beam and a tad bit stronger. Now with each 2 cannons conducting power you get 1 more powerful beam that is twice as strong and does extra damage to armour by 15. So for example if you had 7 linked together you would have 3 strong beams and 1 weak beam. Now as a machanic the cannon would fire the strong beams specificly at the armoured targets and the weaker beams also if there are no armoured targets or a larger amount of light armour it will only fire the standard beams so if there are only 3 infintry it will attack them with the stronger ones and if there are 4 or more it will attack with standard beams. This way you could defend a large base/area with a limited amount of cannons that are well placed. So you no longer nead the phase ability.

What do you think? Ask something if you don't understand ill tell you.

2. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

Well I don't think they should have some mass ability because if you have ever watched any tos game they already mass them and giving tos players more of an incentive to mass cannons would just be bad in my opinion.

I believe giving them a way to better defend a base instead of just seeing how closely you could pack the cannons would be a good idea.

1) I know the idea that extra pylons would provide extra power so I thought that this would be a good place to bring this dead horse back to life and beat it again. It would work much like the warp ray but instead of time it would work with power, This would also be another way to use phase prisms. You could make an impenetrable defense as you power up your canons while warping in stalkers in the back to provide support.

2) I think that they could have an attack much like the reaver. If you look at the projectiles of the reaver they look exactly like the middle of the current canons. so when your being massed you would set your canons to siege mode and it would have one shot then you would have to replace for 25 min before it could commence with any further attack. it would take time but it would be used to at least deal a final explosion to a horde of lings rushing your base (canons could do nothing against them and a lisk rush).

3. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Neither could they do much against enough Zealots, Dragoons, Marines, Tanks etc.

4. gtx75

gtx75 New Member

i still like it when the cannons can move around to better positions, where it can even move around the base to assist in defending invasions.

5. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    Corrections and Explaination

You don't mass pack your cannons with MY idea all you do is spread them EVENLY and not packed. My idea was to make up the lost phase ability (we aren't getting it back because Zerg take stuff thats not theirs THEIFS and can go F^ck themselfs). All it does it focus the power into one cannon what the other in its connection range provide and each act as conduits to each other.
    EXAMPLE: ok we have the alphabet. A to Z. Now B connects A to C and D connects C to E, ect. And this is over a distance area. You are pretty much taking all the cannons from all around and into one place. But they have to, I will repeat that for people like Smokie hunter YOU HAVE TO HAVE A CANNON WITHIN RANGE OF ANOTHER CANNON (ehem the shooting range, not sight range) TO HAVE THEM CONNECTING TO EACH OTHER.

So you can have them connecting to each other across an entire map making a WHOLE new mechanic so you can creep up with your cannon production (and thanks to super fast probe warp in it is faster than what either the Terrans or Zerg could pull off since their crap technology has each worker stay with the building untill its finished while we can say ' ok you go, here you go here, and I will leave now that your building now') so lets say you start construction at your base and you build cannons and pylons along the way and start streatching out to your opponents base or a critical location. Now if you built it properly (and its not that hard people placing buildings based on range you know is EASY) you can have the firepower of the cannons all the way back at your base and along the chain at your opponents base making it a very powerful mechanic thats not overpowered.

Also scratch the idea that each connected cannon increases range that would be making it overpowered.

What do you think? To get the rest look at top of page.

6. leemil

leemil New Member

Are the zerg still utilising shrieker modified range? if not may the protoss
    could steal this ability from the zerg in return and have a building that extends the
    cannons range to include the range of the new building.
    Another idea i had would be to allow the cannon to power down for like 20 secs or so
    and at the end have its health fully restored. For animations maybe they could have
    segments of the cannon phase out and then return over the 20secs. Lorewise, this equates to
    having segments of the cannon being phased to an unknown location to be repaired
    and then returned. This might also come with a small cost depending on balance, though
    imo i don't think such a mechanic would be overpowered as the strength of the cannons remain
    the same.

7. Juggernaught131

Juggernaught131 New Member

America
    i think that it would be awesome if the photon cannons got the ability to aid each other like in RA2 the prims towers. IMO it would be cool to have a button to press on the cannon to change between the singular, weaker cannon, and the fusing attack mode. so by pressing a button you can either destroy a few very powerfull enemies, to many weaker ones

8. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

I think bliss should give the cannon the ability to turn into a more powerful ground to ground only or air to air only.

9. Juggernaught131

Juggernaught131 New Member

America
    i also thought that, since the attack looks like a ball of lightning, maybe they could add a type of AoE where the ball hits the enemy then forks out in a cone shape. It would be cool to have a glaive like attack, but with it forking into a cone instead of jumping to other units. It would make it good against massing units at least.

10. Meis

Meis New Member

special ability for PC

like:

3 or 5 seconds stun or slow

11. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

I will just repose my proposal again in here for the phase cannon...

"Copy & phase" (sounds good eh?) - the phase cannon can divide itself anywhere within pylon energy in a manner of dimensionally shifting its energies and matter in half turning the cannon to two structures of defensive blasters for a very short amount of time.

- copy phase process 5 seconds
    - dual phase cannon longevity 15 seconds
    - skill cost 150 energy

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  12. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I like the concept but it hits a brick wall in that if your cluster has a hole in it big enough to put a seond cannon your base has issues and a real cannon would best be put there

13. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

uhmm.. yeah, but in a way, it makes you spend less when it comes to rushes or emergency defense purposes (but perhaps its just me, coz i aint good at engineering my protoss base T_T )

14. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    make a spammable cannon split in half? thats like having zerglings spwan broodlings...

did you mean weaker cannons or the usual phase/photon cannon? if its the latter i think it will need to have a cost (other than energy/cooldown)...